The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

HS, I can add that my unmodded SR-007 is a little boring in comparison to the SR-009. I suspect that voicing could be adjusted with interconnects/tube rolling etc. I am using Herbie tube dampeners ATM.

Or you could try one or all of the Ric Shultz bullshit Yggy mods posted over on Head-Fi. I am sure there is a special fuse he would sell us that will do the trick. :D

LMAO!  I saw that...the man has definitely drank the koolaid.  I found when I rubbed two sticks over my KGST, the midrange improved and I started a fire  ???

If you keep taunting me like this, Laowei, I'm going to have to go and buy another pair of headphones.  The 009's do look way sexy.  It's a sickness...

HS

Nice to know they still talking about ME while I've not been ere bless

Keep tapping the multi quote on my phone and I swear on all your lives it doesn't work

Re-read the Nutter exchange this morning, now I'm in tears laughing.

That was funny while it lasted.

Especially the "soz" part.
Im so glad I can entertain you,what a dull life you must lead if you think I'm entertaining Jesus

It's a known fact the yank s never had a sense of humour,you need to come to Britain for that

Anyways back on topic instead of me,im debating with myself as the Mrs has left whether to get the sr 009 with my sexy gorgeous srm 323s or Keep the bright sr 507 and get a kgsshv

Can I ask volt why does it matter about the multi quote? ppl text ere once in a blue moon so it's not like we need room for the members to get a word in edge ways

It's ok I'll wait til you all wake up,I've been on 12 hour nights and staying up,sleep is for wimps,we long time dead,plus im lonely,please SOMEONE TALK TO ME !

Edited by grawk

I hope this thread does not become like the one at head-fi.
head fi will never be like this site period,for one head fi is more popular and two they are more friendly than in ere,thought amos was bad but he a saint compared to volt,the bloke is insane

Did I wake you up volt?

Edited by grawk

head fi will never be like this site period,for one head fi is more popular and two they are more friendly than in ere,thought amos was bad but he a saint compared to volt,the bloke is insane

so what is stopping you from shitting up threads over there? there's nothing you could possibly ask here that hasn't been addressed already

including but not limited to "help! my head is up my ass, how do I remove it?"- you might find some guidance in the DIY section*

edit: added where to look

Edited by nopants

Anyways back on topic instead of me,im debating with myself as the Mrs has left whether to get the sr 009 with my sexy gorgeous srm 323s or Keep the bright sr 507 and get a kgsshv

I'll play...get both rigs and report back.  Seriously though...calm down...and just get the SR009 and KGSSHV and be done.

I would get the SR009 now given its great great price.  I am part of the HE1000 beta tester and I feel that the SR009 is a superior headphones as long as you have one of KG stats amp.  Well...may be not the KGSS.

This is useful info.  Thanks, purk.

s

I've been deliberating about the 009s.  Basically where I stand is that the Fostex TH900's out of the Woo WA7 (i.e. dynamic setup) sound as good as my SR007s out of my beloved KGST.  The 900's are a bit more forward up top (some might call brighter), are undoubtedly V shaped in signature, and definitely pack a bass punch which I like (bass goes lower/deeper than the SR007's although the 007's are no slouches), but I'd argue that they stand up to the more costly 007/KGST rig.  They're both fantastic, but to my surprise they're a lot closer than I'd ever have guessed.  It took me a week to appreciate the 900's and after the second week I was gobsmacked at how good they are.

This has me wondering about the 009's...damn.  The current price point for the 009's out of Japan direct if you're paying in dollars is really good...I agree.

HS

Sam...the thing is ...you are not really getting the most out of the  SR007.  The SR007 out of the KGST is very good but it won't rival the SR009 unless you amplifier it with a BHSE.   I can't pick a favorite between SR009 or SR007 out of the BHSE.  

Edited by purk
  • Like 3

Sam...the thing is ...you are not really getting the most out of the  SR007.  The SR007 out of the KGST is very good but it won't rival the SR009 unless you amplifier it with a BHSE.   I can't pick a favorite between SR009 or SR007 out of the BHSE.  

First I've seen that, purk.  I have read nothing but good things about the BHSE, but there's been a lot of good about the KGST.  In hindsight, no outright comparisons though.  

Personally, I think I'd be better off just trying the 009's with my current rig than ordering a BHSE.  I really enjoy my relatively new KGST and I'm not up for the Bataan death march that is ordering and waiting for the BHSE.  I may be a lot of things, but brutally patient isn't one of them...LOL.

Very much appreciate your and Hopstretch's insights all the same.  They give me context I did not have previously.  Perhaps I'll be fortunate and get to listen to someone else's BHSE at a meet or the like one of these days.

HS

I can't pick a favorite between SR009 or SR007 out of the BHSE.  

I can’t pick a favourite between the KGSSHV or BHSE out of the SR009s.

Feel the same way. I go back and forth between both depending on the material and whether or not I can be arsed to get up to fetch the other set of headphones.

I can’t be arsed waiting for the BHSE to warm up, I spend most of my time using the KGSSHV.

• Like 1

I've been playing between the KGST and BH (I have 007 Mk I).  For me, the BH has more balls especially when you use it with good tubes (XF2 for instance).

I truly enjoy both and quite often choose the KGST, but if I wanted to show off for someone, I'd use the BH.

I also have the KGSSHV.  There is nothing wrong with it, but I don't enjoy it as much.  I'm going to give the Carbon a go and I have some very high expectations there.

It's all very subjective though.

Edited by Kerry
  • Like 1

lets see,

1) plate resistors, bad

2) ac coupling to the output tubes (average)

3) voltages too low for those output tubes,bad

4) opamp front end, very bad

etc. and the price...

go buid a srx2. way cheaper, way better

but this one is kind of fun and majorly ugly

http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n145221931

Edited by kevin gilmore