The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

There is no stirring up shit here, the WEE is destroying headphones and Woo do fuck all about it.  In fact the boxes are sent back, "tested" and there is miraculously nothing wrong with them.  I've seen two of them where the bias supply was an old flyback unit which is completely incompatible and on top of that...no ballast resistors.  No wonder the fucking thing hummed like mad and Woo "found nothing wrong with the unit".  The entire bias supply was ripped out, fitted with my bias board and has worked flawlessly ever since. 

This is a problem we are going to see a lot of in the future as more and more amps will be built but the people doing it don't have the knowledge to do it properly. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, spritzer said:

There is no stirring up shit here, the WEE is destroying headphones and Woo do fuck all about it.  In fact the boxes are sent back, "tested" and there is miraculously nothing wrong with them.  I've seen two of them where the bias supply was an old flyback unit which is completely incompatible and on top of that...no ballast resistors.  No wonder the fucking thing hummed like mad and Woo "found nothing wrong with the unit".  The entire bias supply was ripped out, fitted with my bias board and has worked flawlessly ever since. 

This is a problem we are going to see a lot of in the future as more and more amps will be built but the people doing it don't have the knowledge to do it properly. 

How is it that Woo can't build a functional bias supply? If I can put one together on perfboard for a couple of dollars using Stax's own schematics surely they could do the same.

... and, if they're only just a rectifier tube which you should only get from Woo:-

"Rectifier tubes upgrade 1:
Takatsuki TA-274B single
$965 (1 pc) with 1-year warranty

Takatsuki 274B offer ultimate performance to any current production 274B's. Users have claimed that it exceeds the quality to NOS Western Electric 274B.

The TA-274B sold in an individual package Click to see details."

"Rectifier tube upgrade 2:
Sophia Princess Mesh Plate 274B rectifier
$160 (1 pc) with 30-day warranty
To impact WA6's sound quality or for your super backup. Buy and ship independently.

Sophia Electric™ 274B tube is a premium rectifier tube for a 5U4/5R4/5AR4 direct replacement with 3X longer plate structure, thus it has a deeper, wider sound stage and even smoothier sound than Mullard 5AR4"

So, buy them up - and burn them out......   :o

This,from the Woo site:-

"Everything Should Be Made as Simple as Possible, But Not Simpler - Albert Einstein"

Now you know why they don't bother with the 4.7M bias resistor......   :rolleyes:

Edited by wink
More good news from Woo
  • Like 1

I want to set a few things straight from the latest stupidity over on the Head-Fi Stax Thread.

I am not reputable builder, that implies I’ve built and sold and have gained a following of sorts, which I really don’t give a toss for. I build for fun and happiness, I sell them as the needs be to support my hobby with future designs and builds in mind.

As for cost of DIY, the posters over there are clueless and have no idea whatsoever. One size does not fit all, there are numerous details and factors that influence the cost from builder to builder, from my perspective with a weak Australia dollar, shipping and parts cost have gone through the roof. I ship transformers from Canada, Chassis parts from Italy and milled panels from the US and that’s just for starters. By the time I take out eBay fees I count myself lucky if I make parts cost, more times than not I’m at a loss.

If I ever decide a commercial enterprise geared for profiteering (highly doubt this) I’ll be sure to contact Kevin and Birgir for their permission.

The rest of the dim witted retards who haven’t got any idea should keep their traps well and truly shut.

:)

Edit; Thanks Soren, Purk, Paradoxper and JimL 11 for some sanity.

Edited by johnwmclean
  • Like 6

On June 5, 2016 at 8:02 AM, astrostar59 said:

Who is Mr Panure?

I think what Arnaud meant to say is, Fumier is French for manure.  By the way, I don't know French but I do know Google.

Edited by JimL

Looks like I need to venture over to HF to read the newest level of stupidity...  ^_^  What I truly dislike there are the few times people show up with actual questions that matter but there is nobody there with any actual knowledge to help them.  The discussion is just meaningless twaddle without any knowledge at all.  The "people in the know" read something somewhere but it's all bullshit and lies. 

I was sent the recent discussion about the 009 imbalance issue and the astounding amount of stupidity there just made me shake my head.  We've reached the point where we have a pretty good idea what's going on but the HF braintrust...yeah fucking clueless as is to be expected. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JimL said:

I think what Arnaud meant to say is, Fumier is French for manure.  By the way, I don't know French but I do know Google.

Arnaud has written a post [ 8955 ] on HF in their Stax Thread where he wrote Mr manure.

Now while I still look on HF, I only do so if I'm wanting a laugh, because a lot what's written there now is a JOKE, but if I'm seeking useful info then I look on HC.

Also, I wrote a post on HF several months ago in which I asked a genuine question, and that post was removed, since then I've only done one post on that site, and probably won't do anymore, or at least very few.

• Like 1

Today on Head-Fi

On 5 June 2016 at 0:02 AM, astrostar59 said:

Indded, and we also have the 500v IXYS KGSShv which sounds brighter. The Sanyo is the warmest of the KGSShv's and as such IMO is a great match to the 009s. They may also be changes in the sound depending on the type of resistors used on the boards, the quality of the mains transformer (not SUM-R Chinese crap) and the quality of the wiring loom. It all affects the sound IMO. Others may disagree, but take your choice. NO WAY an off-board KGSShv will get close to that BHSE.

You are a retard, you talk crap and have not got a single clue how this stuff works.

Edited by johnwmclean
added the comma, just needed the pause for extra effect
  • Like 1

Well its nothing new that astrostar is still spewing shit over on the other fuckfest forum full of cunts before he got a BHSE and after he heard the KGSSHV.

The same sort of bullshit non sense pkshan use to post in the old Stax thread about his Lambda Signatures sounding better after 500 hrs of burn in and that all low serial number vintage Lambda Pro's sound better. What a crock of shit.

SUMR transformers aren't even made in China to begin with, unless Richard is sourcing all the stuff in China nowadays?

Edited by DefQon

6 minutes ago, DefQon said:

SUMR transformers aren't even made in China to begin with, unless Richard is sourcing all the stuff in China nowadays?

I dont think Canada has become part of China (yet), and his shop is about 15 minutes from my house....

• Like 1