The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

3 hours ago, johnwmclean said:

To be faIr quite some time has passed since you’ve stopped using SUMR, things may have changed.
Richard sent me an email a while ago in acknowledgement of some bad press he’s received both here and diyaudio and he’s endeavouring to improve qc. The recent batches I’ve received are bang on spec and run dead quite, I know Kerry’s using them in his beautiful new T2 it would be interesting to get his input as well. But from my perspective there is a definite improvement.

It's true that's been a while but these are also the only transformers that have shorted to the chassis.  Not even some of the truly horrific shit I've gotten from China can lay claim to that. 

I've had mixed results with SumR. Never something so bad as what Birgir experienced. Mostly noise issues.

I got the original T2 transformers  from Richard and they worked well. This current batch send to be good as well.

• Like 1

Where's Tyll...  :o

Moar bass...?  :wub:

Sounds like the perfect mod for the HD800...   :P

Who says Sennheiser knows what's best for their headphones....    :wacko:

Or, even Stax, for that matter....    <_<

Get rid of the old guard, and slot in the new blood...   progress at it's best....   :lol:

19 hours ago, spritzer said:

Ding, ding, ding, ding.... I think we found the most stupid person on the internet.  I mean seriously...how fucking stupid is this shit?  This will utterly fuck up the sound of the 207's... 

Oh my Gawd!  That is fucking hilarious!  I love it near the beginning where he says the holes in the two pads are "identical"!?!? 

Well I'm pleased to say that the mod I did to my 009's hasn't changed the SQ in anyway, what it has done though has made them just as comfortable if not more than with their original headband, but to me has also made them very nice looking Earspeakers.

• Like 1

Since we are on the topic of Darwin awards, turns out Mr. Speakers is now in the front running as he has decided the Stax plug just won't do and we need something new...  <_<  Ever since he posted this nugget of stupidity a few hours ago my inbox has been flooded with people wondering if he's actually retarded. 

So his logic is that the Stax plug is somehow difficult and expensive so something cheaper is needed.  Well as it stands this is probably the cheapest safe connector possible for the voltages present and its super low capacitance also helps a lot.  They are also cheap and pretty easy to make as well even without going the Stax way of using injection molding.  They also last for a long time, my 1961 SR-1's still work just fine with everything original. 

I've never met the man but everybody who's talked to him about his new phones says he has astonishingly little insight into what actually makes electrostatics tick and this further confirms that. 

This new plug idea makes no sense to me. He's blabbing about the need to come up with cheaper amps affordable to all, yet better performance than Stax offerings. But, how can a new plug design make this any cheaper. Also, AFAIK, it's not like Stax is ripping off their customers with current pricing so am not sure what can realistically be expected from non-Stax commercial offerings.

The Ether E prototype shown in Tokyo a couple months back was utterly inefficient (LLmk2 at max volume to get decent loudness from a bricasti M1, BHSE at 3-4PM!).

My guess here is that Dan will find someone to make non-direct drive amp with high voltage gain transformers (and/or high bias) to drive his Ether E, hence he does not want to use a Stax plug to avoid people frying their Omega phones when trying to A/B out of same amp...

arnaud

• Like 1

Where can I read this announcement? I'm pretty sure that a stax plug could be made out of a block of wood and a some sacrificial XLR plugs if you wanted it bad enough. Not sure what's so difficult about the design.

Nevermind, I found it. Simply asinine. I don't see how anyone who is expecting to ramp up even the smallest scale of production on electrostatic headphones couldn't manage to have a run of plugs and jacks made by any of the thousands of willing factories in china. Or even better since Mr Speakers 3d prints their headphones why not 3d print the plugs too?

Edited by Arthrimus