I sort of want a pair of good closed phones

The Monkey

I imagine the only reason he's not selling on H-F is because he fears he'll get canned again.

The reason he's not selling them there is that he asked if he could and I said no. The listing would have been a pretty flagrant violation of the flipping rule, despite his intentions, and given the public's perception seemed like a bad idea.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:)

I would remake the back plates of dalekanium and add rubber plungers!

! you could use the plungers to stick to the bus, as a headrest to fall asleep on! awesome. Best upgrade everr!

(speaking of Audeze, omg arr iv got ants in my pants waiting for mine! they r killin me with the wait)

The reason he's not selling them there is that he asked if he could and I said no. The listing would have been a pretty flagrant violation of the flipping rule, despite his intentions, and given the public's perception seemed like a bad idea.

Well, I don't know what he had in them for the original trade with Smeggy, but I have about $610-670 in my TPs between the cable, O2 pads, and everything I'm sending Smeggy as our agreed on trade. The first pair sold for $500 without the $130 O2 pads, so the $600 asking price doesn't look like flipping to me. The fact he's giving so much back to Smeggy is cool too.

I had ESW9s and haven't heard the ESW10s, but the ThunderPants are leaps and bound better than the ESW9s.

Well, I don't know what he had in them for the original trade with Smeggy <snip>

You seem to be assuming that he didn't tell me what he paid, he did. He was upfront from the get go, it just so happened that his honesty hampered his ability to sell them on Head-Fi. There's no more to it than that.

You seem to be assuming that he didn't tell me what he paid, he did. He was upfront from the get go, it just so happened that his honesty hampered his ability to sell them on Head-Fi. There's no more to it than that.
Fair enough. I only know what I have in mine and I'm very happy with what I paid and traded towards them. It's a dead point now anyway, they're sold.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I love my ATH W10VTG but they are quite warm sounding and really need the right amplification to shine. It sounds horrible from my Xiang Sheng 708B tube amp and completely uninvolving from the Graham Slee solo. The best amps I have found for them so far are a portable amp: the microshar Uamp 107b (this little amp seems to have a great synergy with AT cans, it also sounds great with the ATH-ES7, ATH-AD900 and the ATH ESW9) and the Little Dot I+ hybrid tube amp. I have a hunch that it will sound quite nice with most hybrid tube amps.

Edited by Agnostic

I can't imagine the amplifier that would make the VTGs uninvolving. Of course, I also wouldn't buy crappy FOTM chinese tube amps.

It takes all kinds. Some people get enjoyment from a cheap chinese tube amp, others derive their pleasure from petty one-upmanship. Go figure.

Interesting. I'm tempted to pick one up to try it but trying to save myself for Thunderpants (as soon as Steve sends his to me to try... oh wait Steve doesn't share his pants with girls ;) ).

I'll send them out ASAP, as well as your CJ winnings that I keep forgetting about. Feel free to keep them for a while to fully evaluate them.

And I do share my pants with girls, it's what's in my pants that doesn't get shared. I only say that because I'm sure you're more than OK with that. :D

Now Justin (MPI) on the other hand was a bit persistant to get in there. :) Too bad I have these damn morals, or I'd have given in to the drunken lad.

It takes all kinds. Some people get enjoyment from a cheap chinese tube amp, others derive their pleasure from petty one-upmanship. Go figure.
I think you misunderstood -- grawk was saying that it's really hard to make the VTG's sound bad. (I think.) But also that he's not familiar with the Xiang Sheng, especially when combined with the VTG's. I, however, am, but don't remember trying the VTG's on them. But on the other hand, I do also agree with him that I don't ever remember hearing them sound bad ("uninvolving").

I'll send them out ASAP, as well as your CJ winnings that I keep forgetting about. Feel free to keep them for a while to fully evaluate them.

And I do share my pants with girls, it's what's in my pants that doesn't get shared. I only say that because I'm sure you're more than OK with that. :D

Now Justin (MPI) on the other hand was a bit persistant to get in there. :) Too bad I have these damn morals, or I'd have given in to the drunken lad.

Yeah, he sure was curious. Looked like you almost got a handjob several times. Next canjam, that boy gets just water.

I think you misunderstood -- grawk was saying that it's really hard to make the VTG's sound bad. (I think.) But also that he's not familiar with the Xiang Sheng, especially when combined with the VTG's. I, however, am, but don't remember trying the VTG's on them. But on the other hand, I do also agree with him that I don't ever remember hearing them sound bad ("uninvolving").

I need to hear VTG's, are they less weird than L3k? A big ESW10 would be cool.