I sort of want a pair of good closed phones

The Monkey

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They do suck if you have the flu.

One aspect a should probably clarify from total agreement with Waynes comments is there is still a little Lambda metalicness versus say the K1000 naturalness (at least until the low end). In that sense it's a little different that "just the recording" but that is easy to forgive compared to most other closed phone issues.

Damn it's kinda hard to type on the iPad.

Edited by blessingx

The 4070 is a pretty damn awesome headphone. Wayne and Ric have done a great job describing its' many pros, and few cons. Personally, I'd take one over an R10 as the best closed headphones out there. The bass-light R10 is just too bass light, the bass-heavy loses the R10 magic in the upper-mids/lower highs. The 4070 is certainly the best closed headphone in current production.

damn it. i hate you guys

crap, I see a pair of Shure's in my future.

The only full-sized closed can other than K271's that have a replaceable cable...

...the one thing that always breaks...

Vicki gave me a lead on finding a well-priced retailer for 840's; I e-mailed Northern Sound & Light (located in Pitt) and this morning received a quote for $118.08 on a new pair of Shure's. I don't believe this includes shipping but even so, it will most likely fall under $125 total. I would still e-mail them yourselves just to confirm the pricing - [email protected].

Thought I would share this since people are interested. I know I am :).

crap, I see a pair of Shure's in my future.

The only full-sized closed can other than K271's that have a replaceable cable...

...the one thing that always breaks...

Be Shure to give 'em a while to break in. Mine changed a lot - and for the better - over time.

(Sorry. couldn't help myself.:palm:

The ESW10 is pretty good. It pretty much sounds like a technically better ESW9 but the small size of the cups can be an issue if you have biggish ear lobes. Comfort is also not the best in this world.

I would also mention the W1000X but damn, this is a colored can and I would imagine that not everyone can live with that.

So what did he do, get Gary to make him the cups, etc., now he's flipping them? And yes, that's NoNoNoNoNoNo.

I was going to write a whole bunch of stuff, but it basically boils down to this: I wouldn't touch that with a ten meter long pole.

NoNoNoNoNoNo did email me earlier asking if it was ok to sell them as he wants to get a set of the audeze. I don't mind, he's after the same phones as me and he has had them a while.

I'd cut NoNoNoNoNoNo some slack here, as I understand it, if it sells at that, a big chunk ($350) from this will go to their Cakey creator. Hence helping them both buy the headphones they want.

Not to mention they are v.cool headphones. I think it's a nice gesture.

x2

NoNoNoNoNoNo is definitely not profiteering on this or flipping. He may have a bad rap in some quarters but he's not out to shaft anyone on this. I know people have a down on him for various reasons but I will say that NoNoNoNoNoNo has always been helpful and generous to a fault with me and I like him.

x2

NoNoNoNoNoNo is definitely not profiteering on this or flipping. He may have a bad rap in some quarters but he's not out to shaft anyone on this. I know people have a down on him for various reasons but I will say that NoNoNoNoNoNo has always been helpful and generous to a fault with me and I like him.

I'm trying hard to give him another chance.

I'm trying hard to give him another chance.

I know some people have problems with him and he made some unwise decisions that got peoples backs up so I appreciate that, Nate. I don't expect many (any?) people to change their minds on him, just don't all jump to conclusions re: everything he does. I imagine the only reason he's not selling on H-F is because he fears he'll get canned again.