I sort of want a pair of good closed phones

The Monkey

Miguel, it's not a matter of you liking crap. I think it's your listening habits. Since you listen at very low volume levels, you enjoy more cans delivering a bit of enhanced bass and crispier high frequencies. The R10, not even the "bass heavy" ones, weren't ever bass monsters. I believe the extra bass in the D5000 serve you better than the extra midrange richness and treble smoothness of the R10.

For "normal" (ahem) people listening at "normal" volume levels is quite understandable they prefer the R10 though.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But the 4070 are the real deal. IMO well worth the coin. Although they couldn't be much uglier or more "look at me, the dork" looking in the mirror, they deliver music in an extremely detailed, yet neutral and matter-of-fact manner. Not at all "exciting" headphones, but nothing is missing or overblown, and thus they draw no attention to themselves. As a result, there are no distractions to your enjoyment of the music. They're easy to get "lost" in, which is the one thing that closed headphones do better than open headphones, generally speaking. But the difference is, with the 4070, you get lost in the music (unadulterated truth) as opposed to lost in the headphones. So many other closed headphones draw too much attention to themselves.

The Mafia approves of this message. :) If you are hunting for used headphones in Japan Dinny, you might as well look for a used 4070 and install those lovely 404LE pads on them.

Guys, I was curious as to which one of these amps by Stax is most desirable w/ the 4070. Source would be an XA5400ES (rca or xlr), if that matters.

STAX SRM-600 LIMITED VACUUM TUBE HEADPHONE AMP (BLACK) - elusivedisc

STAX SRM-007T II 4-TUBE HEADPHONE AMP (BLACK) - elusivedisc

STAX SRM-727 HIGH OUTPUT HEADPHONE AMP (BLACK) - elusivedisc

STAX SRM-006TII 2-TUBE HEADPHONE AMP (BLACK) - elusivedisc

I really dont have the background all all the different models, and I'm not about to read 30000 pages of the stax thread to find out :P

I think the 4070/007t combo must be great... because 4070s arrived Friday and I'm plugging them into a 007t tonight!

Okay, haven't heard it or the others w/4070s. Fingers crossed.

Congrats, Ric! I think you're in for a treat. Do some reading over at the other place about the tube rolling possibilities with the 007t (there should be a couple of old threads about it with useful input from some of the folks who now hang out here). I never did any tube rolling myself while I owned an 007t, so I've always wondered how much performance I was leaving on the table. Some seem to believe that there is quite a bit of room for improvement in that department. KG, Hirsch and of course the Spritzmeister may be able to help. I like the idea of tubes with the 4070 because, if anything bad can be said about them, they can be a bit dry and thus the tube warmth could make them more involving.

I think the 4070/007t combo must be great... because 4070s arrived Friday and I'm plugging them into a 007t tonight!

Okay, haven't heard it or the others w/4070s. Fingers crossed.

Ric, I very much look forward to your impressions of that combo.

And Wayne, that's an excellent survey of the closed landscape. Thank you.

Nate, advance thanks for the adapter.

Yay Head Case!

If you can find a matched quad of NOS Toshiba tubes then you would be golden but any of the Japanese brands are a good match with the Stax amps. Stax also used GE quite a bit in the 90's and they aren't half bad.

The amp is pretty easy to adjust but the cheap pots Stax uses make it a bit of a pain. Still practice makes perfect. :)

Miguel, it's not a matter of you liking crap. I think it's your listening habits. Since you listen at very low volume levels, you enjoy more cans delivering a bit of enhanced bass and crispier high frequencies. The R10, not even the "bass heavy" ones, weren't ever bass monsters. I believe the extra bass in the D5000 serve you better than the extra midrange richness and treble smoothness of the R10.

For "normal" (ahem) people listening at "normal" volume levels is quite understandable they prefer the R10 though.

I do listen at low volume. For example I am currently listening to the D5000 via an X-Can V2 and even though the gain on the V2 was reduced (mod at Rock Grotto) the volume knob indicator is still under 8:30 o'clock.