Suggestions for me

boomana

I guess like most of us, I go through periods of enjoying what I have, periods of really investigating one or two artists or genres, periods of not even listening much at all, and periods where I'm in exploratory mode. I'm moving into that last mode now, and am looking for things I probably wouldn't find on my own. I thought it might be fun (at least for me) if my friends would recommend one or two choices that you think I should have. I'm pretty open to most anything, want to broaden my tastes, definitely could use some classical suggestions, but have an extremely low tolerance for bouncy-happy-pop or what I like to call wimp rock (e.g., coldplay and all those horrible variations) and wispy-voiced singers, or anything with stupid lyrics unless the music is freaking amazing. I'm thinking along the lines of if you were sending me off on a desert island, what would you want me to have.

you have Gilad Atzmon's Musik, right? Steve Jansen's Slope is something i recommend to everybody.

I have Gilad Atzmon's Musik and Exile, but you just reminded me to listen to it. I've never even heard of Steve Jansen...so... :)

Vicki, you know there is another term for wimp rock?

Campaign Against Music for Bedwetters | Facebook

I almost want to open up my facebook account just to join that group!

I think these threads (and those linked in the second one) have some really good music from the last few years:

http://www.head-case.org/forums/music/7821-best-albums-2009-a.html

http://www.head-case.org/forums/music/5411-2008-year-end-report-card.html

I will think of some specific recommendations for you too, but those are a good start. :)

I also use this site for weekly releases in indie music and a lot of the ones he likes in his "music and dvd release lists" would appeal to you (archives go back to 2006).

http://blog.largeheartedboy.com/

Edited by Voltron

you might like Salif Keita, if you go for afrobeat. Vieux Farka Toure, is another one, though you probably know his stuff (and definitely know his dad's). when you say classical, what exactly do you mean? really far out stuff like Penderecki, or a little more center?

I'll check out Salif and Vieux (I have or had...tend to lose cds...I have no idea how.....a lot of his dad's). Far out or center? Both, please.

I think these threads (and those linked in the second one) have some really good music from the last few years:

http://www.head-case.org/forums/music/7821-best-albums-2009-a.html

http://www.head-case.org/forums/music/5411-2008-year-end-report-card.html

I will think of some specific recommendations for you too, but those are a good start. :)

I also use this site for weekly releases in indie music and a lot of the ones he likes in his "music and dvd release lists" would appeal to you (archives go back to 2006).

largehearted boy: a music and literature blog

Thanks, Al. I forgot about those threads. Dipped in to them when they first started, but I wasn't in acquisition mode at the time, I guess, and forgot.

Grab some Warren Zevon, start with the 2 CD "I'll Sleep when I'm Dead" compilation, if that's to your taste then grab "The Envoy" and fill in the gaps from there. IMO his songs definitely fit the silly lyrics but damn freakin' good criteria.

The Tea Party are one of my fave bands, their Edges of Twilight album's always on my playlist. It's got a bit of everything, there's blues based songs, Doors & Zeppelin middle eastern inspired songs, and a nice instrumental. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_y9kSt-4g0, there's quite a few of their songs all over youtube.

• Like 1

Perhaps any of these- MA Recordings

The three CDs on the first page are both sonically well done and a neat introduction of some of the music out there in the world. I have tried to coerce Todd Garfinkle to attend some of the CanJam and Head Case meets, one day I will succeed. He does high rez DLs and DVDs if you ever want to go that route in the future *cough-(JH16/3A)-cough*.

You know, our tastes are so disparate that I'm hesitant to say anything, but have you heard any of these, and if so, what do you think: Maquiladora (especially Ritual of Hearts and What the Day Was Dreaming)? Calexico (The Black Light and Hot Rail)? Black Heart Procession (esp. 3)? The Devics (If You Forget Me..., My Beautiful Sinking Ship, The Stars at Saint Andrea)? In The Nursery, Hindle Wakes (warning: pretty much nothing else they've done is anything like this, so don't even bother)? Sigur Ros, ()? Cocteau Twins (anything, but Treasure and Heaven or Las Vegas are good places to start)? Dead Can Dance (Toward the Within)? Camille (Le Fil)? Lhasa, The Living Road? Keith Jarrett, Sun Bear? Mike Oldfield, The Killing FIelds?

I'm listening to If You Forget Me... right now, every once in a while, I go through a Devics mood where I have to play everything I have by them, repeatedly). I just can't imagine anyone not liking this, so I have to admit to not being very good at this.

If you like funny lyrics, some of my favorites are: Crack the Sky (sardonic, jaded, sarcastic; try "Robots for Ronnie", "Lighten Up McGraw", "Too Cold to be Cool"); Steve Kilbey/The Church (literate; "Limbo"); Momus (clever/funny, "The History of Sexual Jealousy, parts 17-24)"; bawdy to the extreme, "The Penis Song"); Voltaire (silly, "Brains", "The Vampire Club").

I'd be curious what fraction of that is already familiar to you, not just the number, but which ones, and whether or not you like them.

Edited by Dusty Chalk

Recent new-to-me rock-ish selections I've really enjoyed include The Silver Seas - High Society (pop, but hopefully not the kind you dont like; its kinda like Beach Boys meets Steve Miller Band & Bob Dylan, to my ears, and sounds quite good to boot), and Grouplove - Grouplove E.P. (5 songs, very short and to the point. No profound lyrics, but plenty of emotion and then some)

The first album from Steps Ahead is pretty good jazz from what I remember. It has some great vibraphone, which is always tricky to do right, imo.

For something more out of left field, I'd look into Island - Pictures (props to Faust3d :) )

Nathan Wiley - Any of his albums but my favorite is still his first "Bottom Dollar"

Wintersleep - 'Welcome To The Night Sky"

Cloud Cult - "The Meaning of 8"

Dadawa - "Sister Drum"

Eric Bibb - "Just Like Love"

Hayden - "In Field & Town"

Tiger Lou - "The Loyal" or "Is My Head Still On"

Xavier Rudd - "Dark Shades of Blue"

On the heavier side I'd recommend

Isis - "Panopticon"

Red Sparowes - "The Fear Is Excruciating, But Therein Lies The Answer" - Excellent instrumental

Russian Circles - "Geneva" - Again, excellent instrumental

Shrinebuilder - "Shrinebuilder"

Vicki,

I'll see about getting you Opeth - Damnation, it's a good, gentle introduction and shows that they are more musicians that play metal than anything else.

x2 I dont think I really like metal that much, but I love that album.

I personally love Todd Rundgren - Something/Anything? (which you probably own, does this count as wimp rock?) and would put that on the top of my desert island pile. Hmm, I really like Voxtrot - Raised By Wolves EP as well (but that might be wimp rock maybe?)

I checked out Opeth about a year or so ago when I first started seeing cd's posted in the WAYLTK thread. I think they basically suck, and don't like Damnation at all. Metal bands I have liked (not aways, but at times), mostly from back in the day: Black Sabbath, Metallica, Megadeth, Judas Priest, Slayer, Anthrax, Pantera, Destruction, St. Vitus, Tool (metal?), and my all time favorite and the only one I still listen to regularly, other than Tool, Motorhead....love Lemmy!

So, I've got enough to keep me busy for awhile. I think I'll have fun this weekend digging through these suggestions.

I recommend Meshuggah and Gojira, as they're the two that got me into metal. I only like some of Opeth's stuff, the other stuff I think sucks. For some reason I don't like the softer/electronic-y/spacier metal at all.

Are you looking for not-contemporary/atonal/minimalistic/etc classical? And were Lutoslawski and Bartok mentioned?

I am kinda scared to recommend anything. Stuff I listen to usually sends people out of the room screaming :D I'll recommend a few slightly adventurous albums that are very accessible, not sure if you heard these already.

Wizzard - Wizzard Brew (1973) - I really dig most of the crazy stuff that Roy Wood did. Only Roy Wood can mix rock n' roll with very heavy distorted cellos, bassoon and tuba all drenched in ring modulation and phasing effects.

Heiner Goebbels - Der Mann im Fahrstuhl / The Man in the Elevator [w/ Heiner M

Check out some stuff from Hossam Ramzy, he is well known for Egyptian and belly dancing music. Please check out a few songs from this link, you can sample some of his work.

There are a lot of wonderful movie scores that are overlooked, and encompass many genres of music as well. I am sure you have heard of these, but Gladiator, Transformers - The Score, and 300 are just great.

Azam Ali (the Iranian female vocalist from the movie soundtrack '300') has some very beautiful albums. I think 'Portals of Grace' is excellent.

Also, Lisa Gerrard (the Australian female vocalist from Gladiator and founding member of band Dead Can Dance) has several other soundtracks that she sings on. (i.e. Whalerider, A Thousand Roads) Dead Can Dance's albums are all great. .The MFSL SACD of 'SpiritChaser' is excellent.

Perhaps a few of these artists..

Shpongle

Number Girl

Sadistic Mika Band

Budos Band

Fire on Fire

Ladytron