I've Become a Computer Audio Wacko!

jp11801

While I will continue to maintain that the SSD is the biggest upgrade to computers in at least the last 10-15 years, I agree with Jacob that it should have absolutely no effect on audio other than lowering ambient noise levels (which they are, quite effective at, considering the hard drive is generally the noisiest part of a large percentage of computers). Enjoy the SSD, JP, just drop the audiophilia nervosa ;)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok at MOA I would welcome a demo of a MBP SSD vs MBP HD. While I really do understand why a platter HD has more than enough throughput for audio and I never reach capacity HD speed, use all of my RAM or processor... RAM and SSD appear to have made a difference.

Maybe the Monkey of Jeff us around it call me out if I cone by.

Interestingly Barry Diament said SSD does make a difference with his ULN-8, but has proven (to himself) that there is no difference between iTunes and Amarra- when output with levels matched the files produced null each other out.

So where does this leave us? Probably that we are all nuts and kidding ourselves with all this nonsense.

So where does this leave us? Probably that we are all nuts and kidding ourselves with all this nonsense.

Right that's why I added he proved it to himself; he is not pushing his beliefs on anyone, just offering what he found through scientific testing. I have no interest in the other stuff, but have personally benefited from his advice regarding speaker setup and DIY room treatments. Plus he is a damn good mastering engineer.

wtf lock unlock.....

I used that one really minimalist program which loaded each audio file into computer RAM to play and noticed a slight improvement, so maybe I am a computer audio wacko too...

I'all be crazy.

I did the same, and thought the same. I am crazy, and heavily medicated.

I won't be satisfied until computers are powered by tubes again.

wtf lock unlock.....

I did the same, and thought the same. I am crazy, and heavily medicated.

I won't be satisfied until computers are powered by tubes again.

Then you might like ... List of vacuum tube computers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia especially AN/FSQ-7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

280px-SAGE_computer_room.jpg

AN/FSQ-7 computer. Note the phones located on the end of every cabinet to save time calling in problems.

An AN/FSQ-7 computer contained 55,000 vacuum tubes, occupied about half an acre (2,000 m

... 70/20/10 split between computer audio, CD, and vinyl ...
I don't even know what my ratios are -- the categories are: iPod listening in car; iPod listening elsewhere (office or home); computer listening; CD (much lower lately -- I'm more likely to rip and listen on computer or iPod); vinyl (that one I know -- zero :( ); playing (also zero lately :( ); making up or replaying stuff in my head (quite a bit lately); movies (more than a little); my cats (quite a bit lately); ambient noise (not the genre -- I just didn't want to put "silence") (also quite a bit lately -- I tend not to listen when I'm reading).

I do think I hear differences between software players, but who knows. I am using Amarra now.

Although I also use Amarra, in all fairness, I'm really not sure that it's better than itunes. Trying to level out the volume there wasn't much difference in the sound to my old ears. However, Amarra Mini plays 96/24 with out adjusting midi settings and I like some of the EQ settings. At the end of the day I like listening with the software in place.