What to do next?

bhjazz

New headphones: do want.

Problems: I'm still studying Java at UW. It comsumes about 95% of my free time so regular headphone listening just doesn't happen unless I get spare time at work, which is also rare. I'll be done in June, though.

I'm thinking of three possibilities:

ATH-ESW9

Good: Good form factor for work, seem to respond reasonably well to amps.

Bad: Would I use them outside of work?

RS2i

Good: Enjoyed these when hearing the RS2 a year or so back. Would be a nice 32ohm phone for use with the Ventus or future suitable amps. Might be nice to have for a work rig, albeit maybe a little overkill.

Bad: Maybe a little pricy for leaving at work.

LS-2

Good: Well, geez! Love these. They are on the "will buy eventually" list.

Bad: Probably wouldn't get these until Summer, after completing school. They would not stay at work.

JH13: I don't have much time to get these right. Plus if these were used at work, they'd be in and out of my ears too much.

Upcoming builds:

Bijou

Buffalo dac

Some Millett Max build that I understand I can't miss.

Also in the house:

HD600

Shure SE310 (selling soon)

CK2III

Ventus

DVP-S9000ES

Theta Casanova (with a nice DAC)

Sure, the way I'm leaning is obvious. I"m just curious what my 'case friends would do.

Thanks!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW I use the ESW9 at work, powered by an M3 and y2 DAC, and I was quite happy with the whole shebang for a long time. But compared to the new dynamic rig I am using at home (Buffalo/Crack/HD650) the work rig now just sounds flat and lifeless. I am definitely looking to upgrade to some better phones for work, but have no idea what yet. I was thinking Thunderpants, but it would be a big cash outlay......

Interesting. Well, the last time I heard HF-2s, I thought they sounded a bit flat, but its been a while.

Beefy, that Buffalo/Crack/650 rig sounds like it would be damn good. Did you ever try the ESW9 with that setup? If I could find even a few extra tubes I'd bring the (forgot to mention) MHSS to work, even though it is not nearly as nice as the Crack.

I only mentioned the HF-2's because the ESW9's were mentioned. Not that they have a similar sound signature -- they kinda do, but they kinda don't -- so much as they both have that same "fun factor". If you thought the HF-2's were a bit flat, I am no person to judge. In my case, they were just not for me, as I'm not a big fan of the Grado comfort quotient (they have to be PS-1 good or HP-2 good in order for me to still want them).

Beefy, that Buffalo/Crack/650 rig sounds like it would be damn good. Did you ever try the ESW9 with that setup? If I could find even a few extra tubes I'd bring the (forgot to mention) MHSS to work, even though it is not nearly as nice as the Crack.

Not yet. The Crack has only been in commission a short while, but I don't think I will ever bother trying the two together. The gain of the Crack is pretty high even for the HD650. With the much more sensitive ESW9, volume control would be virtually impossible.

I've been using a pair of EWS10JPNs at work for about 1-2 years now and couldn't be happier with them. I've had a ton of really high end headphones, but somehow still really enjoy the warmth and sound out of these. They provide enough isolation to hear the phone ring at the office, but also allow you to keep the music to yourself. I used to connect it to a headphone amp (RSA Mustang), but it sounds about just as good straight out of an iPod Nano. These are very forgiving of source and sound good with mostly everything I hook them up to.

cheap, awesome and comfortable: K271mkii with Beyer DT880 pads. more forgiving but similar to the K702.
I only have the K271 mark 1 (okay sounding, not awesome), but I agree it's a super comfortable headphone with the addition of those Beyer pads. And it gets extra workplace-friendly points for the little switch that auto-mutes them when you take them off, though if bhjazz is considering RS2i this clearly isn't an issue for him.

HF-2 > RS-2. I sold my RS-2's after getting my HF-2's.

That I didn't know. I'm now wondering why I didn't like their signature...

I'm not sure I'd say the Millett is something you can't miss. It's a heck of a budget rig, don't get me wrong, but I'd encourage something more challenging.
Oh. Ha! I was just quoting the list of possible parts lists that are "can't miss build #2, #1" etc. Sorry for the obscure reference. Like you, I have a pile of boards that I need to work on and try out. Some day...

Not yet. The Crack has only been in commission a short while, but I don't think I will ever bother trying the two together. The gain of the Crack is pretty high even for the HD650. With the much more sensitive ESW9, volume control would be virtually impossible.
That sounds a lot like the Bottlehead Foreplay I built a few yeras back. Pairing that with my Classe CAV-150 with it's own 29dB gain meant touchy countrols until I could back off the gain a bit. Thanks for the reminder, though. Knowing that the ESW9 is maybe more sensitive helps me pair it with something better.

IThey provide enough isolation to hear the phone ring at the office, but also allow you to keep the music to yourself. I used to connect it to a headphone amp (RSA Mustang), but it sounds about just as good straight out of an iPod Nano.

Excellent information. I had forgotten about trying to isolate those around me. Guy next to me often cranks up his Bose Quiet Comfort. They're not so quiet in my own cube.

bhjazz,

i'm not sure what you want in the HP. sounds to me like you just want a new pair of HPs?

Yeah, this gives me more focus. I want better sound than a pair of freebees, headband design so I can take them off when my supervisor stops by, sound isolation so others don't have to hear what I am listening to that day, and something that responds well to different amps and dacs.

though if bhjazz is considering RS2i this clearly isn't an issue for him.

I have added isolation to my list! I guess the RS2i is off the list, then? It seems like they won't supply much isolation.

Thanks guys. This is great information!

Brian

If isolation, in the sense of blocking outside sound, is high on the list, then IMO the ESW9 and K271 are both pretty questionable assuming the mkii doesn't isolate any better than the mki. They're not utterly useless but IMO neither one is all that big on isolation.

If it is not isolation that's needed but just an an absence of sound leakage that would annoy people nearby at work, then ESW9 and K271 are fine (and again, props to the K271 for auto-muting when you take it off).

When I needed some sort of approximation of real isolation at work and IEMs were too fiddly, HD25 was my choice. However this was a few years ago and options like the Shures didn't exist at the time.

I did "run a simple comparison." It was about a year ago. I don't own any of the three I mentioned, though, and thought a discussion here would be in order. Additionally, there are two dealers in the area who have any idea what good headphones are, and they only have Senns or Grado. I'm merely shopping for opinions here.