What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

Al: That looks good, I am jealous.

Jim and Marc: Thanks for the rum recommendations. I checked my store and they have the Smith and Cross, Wray and Nephew white overproof, and various El Dorado rums so I will pick up some of those. I did find some forget about the Goslings I had in the cabinet (need a bigger cabinet) so I am not bad off as I thought. :)

Tonight with dinner, I opened a bottle of 2009 Columbia Crest Indian Wells Cabernet Sauvignon. This was a really nice was, especially for the price (~$15).

*Anvil TIme*

Monkey Gland

3/2 oz Bluecoat gin

3/2 oz fresh squeezed orange juice

1 tsp homemade grenadine

1 tsp Vieux Carre absinthe

This drink is pretty nice and much better than the name sounds. :)

EI5wd.jpg

Compass Box Peat Monster

I like anything called Peat Monster, how is it?

3/2 ha!

Anyone noticed the sheer number of trackbacks HC is generating at Mr. Savoy's blog? For example, I'm mentioned on his page for this drink:

Marc: What is this blog (underhill lounge)? So, I guess I haven't noticed. :unsure:

I've been out of the loop. What blog? Take it Anvil is from the list of the Huston bar? So much drinking to catch up.

Yes, some of us having been working through Anvil 100 list (from the Houston bar) for some time.... Jim and Al finished long ago.... I have to work so unlike them so I am way behind... Marc decided to go through Dr. Cocktail's book so he is also behind... some of us (cough cough Mike, Gene....) are not manly enough to make cocktails. :) You have a lot of catching up to do!

Hendricks G&T here. With orange bitters. Thanks Jacob.

Good stuff.

Shelly, have you ever seen the Bols Genever at Spec's?

No, but I haven't looked. I'll ask them about it the next time I am there.

------

Tonight I made my first my "raw egg" cocktail - I need to make more of these.... I like the frothiness!

Anvil # 70 Pink Lady

3/2 oz Bluecoat gin

1/2 oz Daron XO Calvados

Egg white from 1 egg

Lemon juice from 1/2 of a lemon

1 tsp homemade grenadine

Add ice and shake like a mad(wo)man!

1TP3Z.jpg

I like anything called Peat Monster, how is it?

yeah, how is it, Dan? I'm with Shelly on giving it points just for the name.

Yes, some of us having been working through Anvil 100 list (from the Houston bar) for some time.... Jim and Al finished long ago.... I have to work so unlike them so I am way behind... Marc decided to go through Dr. Cocktail's book so he is also behind... some of us (cough cough Mike, Gene....) are not manly enough to make cocktails. :) You have a lot of catching up to do!

Flattery will get you everywhere, Shelly, right, Mike? :) :)

Namaan, please, please do not succomb to the cocktail frenzy Do your catching up with whisk(e)y, spirits, and beers.

Edited by agile_one

Namaan, please, please do not succomb to the cocktail frenzy Do your catching up with whisk(e)y, spirits, and beers.

Hate to say it but some of them do look pretty good, but trust me they won't be replacing the whiskey and beer any time soon.

The peat monster was interesting. I paid about $36 for the bottle (apparently it's normally over $60), and for that, I'm happy. It's got great flavor, very complex, but it's not "scotch smooth". It burns like a bourbon, which isn't a bad thing, but it's not what I was expecting from a scotch. Great nose, great depth tho.

Meh. A liver can be replaced.

How are you Ken?

Yes, but after they replace the liver you are not allowed to drink alcohol. It's a pretty big price. :o

I'm doing pretty well. Just about got the house ready to go on the market. Then things will be calm for a while.

The peat monster was interesting. I paid about $36 for the bottle (apparently it's normally over $60), and for that, I'm happy. It's got great flavor, very complex, but it's not "scotch smooth". It burns like a bourbon, which isn't a bad thing, but it's not what I was expecting from a scotch. Great nose, great depth tho.

Yep about right for the compass box.. but you did get a Great price. They make it in batches, so there is variation over the years. I have had some that are much better than others. Best I had was an anniversary bottling (reserve) from the UK, they put the extra goodness into that bottle. enjoy.

cheers,

Mikey

Yolanda Cocktail

1 Dash Grenadine. (1 splash Fees Grenadine)

1 Dash Absinthe (1 healthy dash Versinthe Absinthe)

1/4 Dry Gin. (1 oz Old Raj Gin)

1/2 Italian Vermouth. (1 oz Perucchi)

1/4 Brandy. (1 oz Maison Surenne Cognac)

Stir well and strain into cocktail glass. Squeeze Lemon Peel over glass and drop in.

4b06eb81-034d-3774.jpg

Edited by Voltron