What are you listening to Part the Third

Voltron

Beethoven's 3rd Symphony is probably my favorite of his. The 9th is epic and amazing but clunky and is kind of disjointed, especially in the beginning of the first movement. And doesn't it get too much credit for it hooky melody? :ph34r:. The 3rd is perfect as a whole IMO.

So, this dude let me know about the supposedly, generally agreed on, reference recording for this piece. He points out that "it may not be your favorite but it is the reference."   

So, I meandered over to Qobuz, had a listen. I've heard several of them, and this one wipes the floor with all of them. In fact, it made me realize just how complex a composition it is. It's easy for conductors to go overboard on the big moments or heavy parts making it sound almost like you're just waiting for the cool parts once they get through the meanderings in between.

The opposite happens here. It's hard to put into words, but the big moments are actually reserved and there is so much sophistication going on throughout that becomes much more transparent with this performance. Regardless, it is my favorite Eroica now and there's no close 2nd. 

High Definition Tape Transfers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

^^ Thanks... Although it got me thinking of a music survey. 🤓

My standards for this piece have been:

• Berliner Philharmoniker / Herbert von Karajan
  • Boston Symphony / Munch
  • The London Symphony Orchestra / Josef Krips
  • Chicago Symphony / Sir Georg Solti
  • Orchestra Of St. Luke's / Michael Tilson Thomas

Pretty much the same list for the 7th Symphony as well (probably my fav just ahead of the 3rd). But that could change.

I have not listened to the Szell.. yet. I think that the internet catalog is too big for me to do a complete survey of the Eroica, But maybe a review of top recordings in context to the Szell. I will ponder. 

meanwhile:

The Cool Voice of Rita Reys

The Cool Voice of Rita Reys
by Rita Reys (1957)

https://album.link/i/988177115

Example:

and

Relax With Rita & Pim

Relax With Rita & Pim
by Rita Reys (1969)

https://album.link/i/1442252027

Example:

Some lovely recordings. 

• Like 2

All The Young Dudes

All The Young Dudes
by Mott The Hoople (1972)

https://album.link/i/155712973

Example:

Mott and the Young Dudes.. I really enjoyed this album.. I liked the 70s groove rock that they were putting out there. Yet this was another band like Thin Lizzy that I knew by name, not by songs. I have many songs attached to them now, and I am happy about that. 

• Like 3

When I was a young kid I thought that Bobbie Gentry was an exotic, classy woman. She made the rounds on the numerous 70's variety shows. The songs that she wrote were absolutely controversial for that time. "Fancy" was a song about a dying Mother turning her teenage Daughter out to a wealthy man. And she wrote it in the late 60s. And she was a Country music artist! I have no idea how she got away with it, but her beauty probably had something to do with it. I don't think the good ol' boys of Music Row really grasped true nature of her music.

This was, and still is a favorite of mine...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I like the original, but this version eclipses it IMO. The video brings even more emotion to the song. Even Trent said that the song was no longer his song, after seeing this video.

Oddly enough when Rick Rubin, along with other songs, first sent it to Johnny he got no response. So, he sent another tape of songs, with Hurt as the first song on the tape. Still no response. Finally he just outright told Johnny that he thought it would be a great song for him to record. By this time he trusted Rick, so he agreed to record it. 

I think it's one of his best works.

Edited by swt61
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, swt61 said:

I like the original, but this version eclipses it IMO. The video brings even more emotion to the song. Even Trent said that the song was no longer his song, after seeing this video.

Oddly enough when Rick Rubin, along with other songs, first sent it to Johnny he got no response. So, he sent another tape of songs, with Hurt as the first song on the tape. Still no response. Finally he just outright told Johnny that he thought it would be a great song for him to record. By this time he trusted Rick, so he agreed to record it. 

I think it's one of his best works.

I've always thought this was one of the best music videos, period. The lyrics by NIN are so perfect, and Cash who also dealt with heroin addiction, somehow does a double entendre and parallels it to the end of his life and what's important, and what's gone and just angry with regret. 

Heavy shit. 

Credit to Rick Ruben.  

Edited by robm321
  • Like 5

56 minutes ago, mikeymad said:

Aliens Ate My Buick

Aliens Ate My Buick
by Thomas Dolby (1988)

https://album.link/i/1437333011

Example:

Say what you want about 80's music, but it gave us this album and this 8.5 min chunk of jazz.  Actually - "The Key to Her Ferrari" is a better jazz song, but I just like Budapest better. 

Not ashamed to say I still deeply love Thomas Dolby. There's a lot to appreciate across his portfolio but think "Astronauts and Heretics" is probably his strongest album. Contains, for my money, two of the better pure pop songs ever written.

• Like 6

I got into Chris Isaak early. His first video was in '85, and I bought the album immediately. Bought all other albums as they came out.

I have probably mentioned that I ran into him in '93 at a little cafe near the Great Hwy. And saw him in concert in Portland around '91.

Dude was sexy as fuck! And I'm not usually attracted to masculine, straight guys.

Two of the best pickers ever!

• Like 1