And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Glad Ollie is doing well!

We got a call this morning that there was a major water main break in the area and so now we have boil all the water until further notice (the tests are not complete yet). What a pain. Anyone know what to do with a RO water filtration system if contaminated water is introduced into the system? Bleach?

Picked up my macbook.The display bezel, display panel, top case enclosure, airport card, and 2-1 gb memory modules replaced ... under apple care. Looks new even if it acts 2 1/2 yrs old.

Used the Dell Inspiron 9300 it replaced while waiting for repairs. Can't believe how big and heavy it was ... and sloooow. Glad to have the mac back.

Edited by Aimless1

Well, I suppose it is about time to sanitize the tank and get a new RO membrane since we have had the system for 4 years. I am not sure I trust the Sam's club RO system to kill whatever type of bacteria might have leaked into the water ;) (guess we'll know more about the water when the tests come back tomorrow). I am really pretty tired of the month of April... it has been one thing after another.

So burn down the house it is.

Edited by shellylh

Well I guess the fourth time is the charm. After running to the post office (now I know why I avoid that place like the leper ward) for the fourth time I finally managed to ship a package off across the pond, but if things don't go right I may be needing a consultation with the HC legal team when the ATF or customs show up at my office. On the first two trips the PO wanted way too much for shipping then the PO would not take the package when I disclosed the contents so I just thought "WWMD", changed the shipping container, and viola, package shipped.

I went and exchanged my iPod. I probably shouldn't have, because I'm pretty sure I got a refurb, and I explicitly asked, and was told that I would get a new one. Looking through the paperwork, it explicitly says that the replacement part (yes, a whole new iPod) could be new used or reconditioned. I should have gone with my gut instinct. Bah.

It could be, but why do you think it IS?
'cause it came in a bare box, as a replacement part. I mean, it's the only reason they're going to have refurbs on hand, and if it was new, wouldn't they keep it in a new box for the more likely sale? It was packed differently.

I guess my point is, the lie was there -- I was guaranteed it'd be new, and on paper, there's no such guarantee.

It could be that they just don't bother refurbishing them anymore, that the new stock in the warehouses aren't selling, so they just package those for replacements.

Not sure why a refurb would bother you tho, honestly. Apple refurbs are better than new in my experience, because they've been more thoroughly tested.

It bothers me because I could have paid a couple bucks more ($30, today; less during a sale), gotten a refurb, an extra charger, an extra cable...and have been able to keep the fat-case iPod, for playing with later, if I so desired. I mean, yeah, the hard drive was toast, but the electronic smarts and the LCD screen were still fine.

I've got to say Dusty, as a guy who buys a lot of tools (and I do mean a lot), roughly 30% or so of which are refurbs, I've had better luck with refurbs than new in most cases. I think Dan's assesment of why is spot on.

However I will say that buying young Matt's used iPod had a benefit I never considered. I never dreamed he'd have a bigger Cher collection than I. Bonus!!!

Edited by swt61

Yeah, but it changes the spread, and I wouldn't feel as bad about that, since the spread on a new one was more like $70.

It didn't change the spread tho. You bought a "replacement without accessories - with trade in". That the replacement may or may not have been refurbished (and you can't tell by looking at it) doesn't change that. New gets you better packaging, more accessories, those wonderful earbuds, and they dispose of clutter you would have kept around with the idea that one day you may have tried to play with it... Since you already had the accessories, you got the "new" (either new to you or new new), and had your old one disposed of safely and saved a little money taboot.