Choosing the right headphones

fpiki

We've created this tool called a Piki to help people find the headphones that are right for them, based on their preferences and priorities. We're trying to make the tool comprehensive so that people seeking info on headphones can get all the facts about the things they're looking into. You can check out lists already made by contributors or customize your own settings to get things just right.

Check out our headphones Piki here: http://headphones.pikimal.com/

We'd really like it if any of the regulars here could check out our tool and let us know if you have any ideas to make it better. We know using the right pair of headphones is essential to a good listening experience and with your help we can make this Piki the perfect place to start your search.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you could see it as different in that you not only enter what you want, but how important each aspect is, and the algorithm figures out a list for you. In some cases, that can balance out one product being very good in one area and average in others with another product that's above average across the board. If you set one facet a little higher in importance, you'll see the headphones that excel in that area rise to the top without being distracted by easily-hyped features.

Took a quick look. Meh :palm:

Sound Quality is divided up into Freq. Response, Sensitivity (?), THD (text isn't clear as it is labeled High THD?) and Impedance. I don't think Impedance really plays a roll in sound quality (unless your device pukes trying to drive it). Same with Sensitivity.

Pretty useless IMHO.

So is the problem that we're missing some really good choices or that the good ones are too low on the list? We try to get our data straight from manufacturers and for a simple one-value comparison we just rank them in order. Do you think someone on their end is fudging numbers?

So is the problem that we're missing some really good choices or that the good ones are too low on the list? We try to get our data straight from manufacturers and for a simple one-value comparison we just rank them in order. Do you think someone on their end is fudging numbers?

Um - how about filling in your profile so we have some idea who the hell you are? :basement:

Frankly, I think you would get more direction at headfi.com. Good luck.

I concur. I actually do think the clientele at headfi could provide plenty of input on your formula and would like a tool such as yours that will help with their purchasing decision without them really having to think about it too much.