RIP Peter Falk

blessingx

I came late to the Columbo show and the Cassavetes films, but few actors out there with such a low profile yet connected high stature over the years. And that little flick, Wings of Desire, where Peter Falk played an actor/ex-angel named Peter Falk...

EDIT: First obits - Peter Falk, TV's rumpled Columbo, has died, Peter Falk: Beloved by comedians and cartoonists. And everybody else., Remembering Peter Falk, 1927 - 2011

Edited by blessingx

Duggeh, is there anyone with Lemmon (Matthau, Curtis, MacLaine, etc.) that's not a great team? Damn, he made anyone great, greater. Like Falk, he seems to be the 'generous actor.'

Here's a nice New Yorker obit for Falk focusing on his film career.

post-128-0-23949500-1308951902_thumb.png

Edited by blessingx

I've yet to see a duff Jack Lemmon film. The Odd Couple is another of my absolute favourites (although I have to give preference to Matthau in that). Also Glengarry Glen Ross, where Lemmon bested Al Pachino, Ed Harris et al.

However I don't wish to derail from Falk. I will remember him with fondness.

One of my favorites as well. Something about him always made me smile. He had a way of making you feel that you were "in on it" with him. Not just in Columbo, but in everything he did. Loved the way he played the calm, gentle, old man reading to his grandson in Princess Bride, stumbling for his glasses, etc. So ordinary and imperfect, yet so extraordinary and perfect.

• 2 weeks later...