Thunderpants

Smeggy

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time to send some to Tyll for a little review now, no?

DirtDOG.gif

No kidding!

Actually, I'm really going with this: :jbl:

I enjoyed getting to hear and measure a pair of you cans a while back, they were damned good, and I think it makes all sorts of sense to fire up a business.

I would like to review some, and maybe even build one of your kits.

PM on the way! And congrats!!!

:)

I started (low) power carving about 3 weeks ago. Bought a little proxxon glass engraver and got to work. It's just freehand stuff so nothing too exact but it is a lot of fun. I sit on the deck with a big-ass visor on my head so I can see what I'm doing and grind away. It's surprising how little info there is about it. Lots on chip carving but I guess with power stuff you're just supposed to know what to do :huh:

I figured, as far as I can tell, nobody else is carving cups so maybe another small niche market. Trying to come up with thing people don't know they want yet... I hope :P

Edited by Smeggy

Very best of luck Gary!

If you need a review section, then apart from the ones from headfi, if you need any quotes of appreciation from people who have owned your TPs before id be happy to. and im sure a lot of others would be too.

That sounds like a great idea Kabeer, I should ask people for short quotes to put on my site, I'm not much good at blowing my own trumpet :D

Technique is something you have to learn yourself, unfortunately there's nothing stopping people seeing what I've done and trying it themselves. If people do start copying it (which I expect some might) there's not much I can do about it except complain. However, it's not something anyone can do, you still need a certain level of skill and aptitude. I'm certainly not planning on handing the info out on a plate. I've shown them how to make their own thunderpants mod and I'm happy with that as long as they don't call them thunderpants or make them to sell. Generally they've been pretty good about it so far, after all, this did start out in the realm of DIY info sharing where it still belongs for those wanting to try their own.

Of course, now my existence depends on it I'm trying to be a little less open about what I do and people are respecting it as far as I can tell. I know I can sometimes be a bit optimistic about peoples motives to my own detriment but that's just me. Anyway, I appreciate you guys trying to protect me from myself, I can be a bit of a dumbass at times :D

You either have it or you don't. Gary most definitely has it, most don't. A cheap rip off usually looks like a cheap rip off.

Gary's skills would be hard to duplicate, and being an ass about peoplke trying would make him Larry, not Gary.

Gary's skills would be hard to duplicate, and being an ass about peoplke trying would make him Larry, not Gary.

Well put Steve.

Gary, I'm super excited to see you taking it a step further. Something tells me I'll have trouble staying away from your engraving capabilities. Wishing you the best of luck with the sole proprietorship, my friend.

• 2 months later...