chinese company purchases stax?

cobra_kai

Yes, color me a bit cynical as well for now at least. While it does sound like there is some "audiophile passion" there, the whole thing about making some less expensive designs has me thinking that money (IE, cost to manufacture) will come into play overall. Hoping it won't, but again, will wait and see.

I put this in the same category as "Oh noes, logitech is going to kill the squeezebox!".

IMO it's not the same category at all. Logitech already had a prestige of making decent products. What prestige has Edifier if any? Secondly, the squeezebox isn't a product that compares in the slightest to the craftsmanship that making a pair of 009 or 007 requires. A squeezbox is a box full of electronics like many of other thousands made anywhere in the planet.

Anyway, time will tell, but I'm quite afraid Stax headphones won't have the same quality in a couple of years. Of course it will be more profitable, which is what leads these type of deals.

At the time Logitech had no expertise in making anything of quality other than remotes. IMO the squeezebox touch would still be on the drawing board, if even there, without Logitech's capital. They were successful by keeping the squeezebox division seperate. I see no reason to panic at this time. Edifier, while lacking "audiophile prestige", does appear, from my meager information, to have a fair amount of business acumen. I just do not see them doing much more initially than dumping some much needed capital into Stax. Maybe enough to release some nice new amps. Of course, I could be wrong. It has happened once or twice before. smile.png

Another Press Release

Cruiser acquired wholly-owned high-end headphone brands STAX

Ramblers second at the eleventh meeting of the Board of Directors December 7, 2011 meeting, considered by "the acquisition of Japanese STAXLtd.100% stake in the motion." The Board confirms that its own funds, in cash to acquire Japanese STAXLtd.100% equity, the transaction price of 1.2 billion yen (according to December 6, 2011 Exchange 100 yen exchange 8.1411 yuan exchange rate, equivalent to 9.7693 million yuan) . After the share transfer, STAX will become a wholly owned subsidiary of Cruiser.

1.jpg

STAX by the Naotake Hayashi's predecessor company was founded in 1938, Mr., mainly engaged in the vinyl record player design and manufacture of key components of the 1950 condenser microphones involved in the design, manufacture, is the importance of Japan's NHK radio supplier. 1954 design and manufacture of electrostatic loudspeakers, in 1959 a set of design and manufacture the world's first electrostatic headphones, named Earspeaker, 1960 launched the world's first commercial electrostatic headphones SR-1, became the benchmark for high-fidelity equipment, STAX is becoming the world's leading brand of high-end headphones.

2.jpg

STAX SR-202 electrostatic headphones & SRM-212 Headphone Amplifier Kits

Continues to introduce new electrostatic headphones at the same time, STAX electrostatic speakers and also its support of the amplifier has invested enormous energy, the industry continue to develop new high performance shock, became one of the most high-end audio company. However, in the most high-end product development and manufacturing to invest too much money, making the company's overall business situation STAX huge difficulties. The early 1990s, the company founder Naotake Hayashi's death, his son took over the company, although the immediate termination of the electrostatic speaker business, but also launched a flagship electrostatic headphones and amplifier, won acclaim in the market, but too high makes few sales prices, further deterioration of the company's financial condition, had declared bankruptcy in 1995.

3.jpg

STAX SR-404 electrostatic headphones

In January 1996, to company executives when he Takahashi Yan Mi, Yang made Meguro and technical Kazuo Suzuki, the chief person responsible for the three promoters, by Mr. Takahashi Mi Yan invested 300 million yen, the re-incorporation STAX Ltd ., concentrate on the development, production and matching electrostatic headphone amplifier by Takahashi Yan Mi chairman. December 1998, Mr. Meguro Yang made the acquisition of three million yen investment Takahashi entire equity interest of Mr. Yan Mi, Mi Yan Takahashi replaced as chairman, the company has been operating well, the introduction of various new products are highly recognized by the market .Although in 2010 as an extension of the key new product market caused losses, but in 2011, with new products to market SR009, the company quickly achieve greater profitability.

4.jpg

STAX SR009 electrostatic headphones

Currently, STAX electrostatic headphones has become synonymous with the English word Earspeaker Japanese industry has also been widely accepted, its electrostatic headphones over the years of painstaking research into the company's worldwide technology unique core competencies, represents the current headset technology can achieve the highest level.STAX company has 12 employees, approximately 70% of sales achieved in Japan, other countries, about 30%.

5.jpg

The investment is the main business development Cruiser, especially the headset key business investment. Yang made the acquisition, Mr. Meguro held STAX 100% of the equity, Edifier immediately have the world's leading electrostatic headphone amplifier and all the design, manufacturing technology and the corresponding market, and can be quickly occupied the commanding heights of the high-end headphones, so that Walkman headphones are able to challenge the industry's high-end brands.

Moreover, the Ramblers will use its existing manufacturing capacity, strong electrostatic headphones reduce manufacturing costs, while taking advantage of its own channels to vigorously promote the sale of related products so that all consumers have the opportunity to feel the charm of this high-performance products, efforts to make the product price by more accepted by consumers. In addition, the company also plans to launch a new brand based on electrostatic technology to portable electrostatic headphone-based play, further driving down the price threshold, play the important role of nexus.

This acquisition not only get Edifier financial benefits, but also allows the company to have a high-end headphone technology within the industry, combined with its existing strengths Cruiser, not only can make long-term development STAX brand, but the company has been a key based on the relevant business point, a significant development for the future and lay a solid foundation.

I had a bit of a hard time being sure of the translation here. I received the impression that STAX will keep operating to make their own current STAX brand products as well as "more attractive" electrostatic STAX brand products eventually (to me meaning cheaper, stylized, etc.) and that EDIFIER will be putting their technology and employees to use by making a separate electrostatic brand name for cheap and easy to use (easier to drive, connect to consumer devices) products at the same time. They will be infusing more money into the brands for marketing, R&D, and customer support.

The words that scare me are "STAX product design will be more beautiful" which I read as overpriced and gaudy and interpret that they care more about looks than sound R&D, but I suppose I will be okay in the short run at least as long as the materials and quality is kept up on current products and quality control is not spread too thin. That sign off line of "I wish you all good health, everything goes!" was NOT inspiring... WTF. I sure hope that doesn't sound as negative untranslated.

If they can reduce the price of the Lambda series and especially the SR-009 and keep the quality, I'll be happy enough I think. I like their idea of making electrostatic products easy to obtain to get people addicted and spread the word of STAX audio crack to increase demand in the high end line. Squeezebox might have been a good move for going to Logitech, but I'm not too pleased with what Logitech did with the acquisition of the Ultimate Ears IEM line. I hope Edifier succeeds in their goal.

Edited by manaox2

Hey, anything to upgrade the "Lambda look".

That has to be the most fugly outdated designs I have ever seen.

(but I DO love my Lambdas, just not for that reason)

And if true top notch customer support can come to the USA, I wont be complaining.

It is virtually non-existant at the point in time.

Dont know about Woo Audio, but Yamas just sux.

Parts availability and repair services should be accessable to the consumer

whether you bought them there or not.

"STAX product design will be more beautiful" reading the original text, that's just a way of saying stax will focus on whatever stax does. "I wish you all good health, everything goes!" is badly translated. The greetings means that he wishes everyone good health, and things you wish for would come true.

What I do find interesting is that they will be creating a new brand in China that sells cheaper electrostatic headphones. One of us will have to be the guinea pig to get that. :D

And if true top notch customer support can come to the USA, I wont be complaining.

It is virtually non-existant at the point in time.

Dont know about Woo Audio, but Yamas just sux.

Parts availability and repair services should be accessable to the consumer

whether you bought them there or not.

Interesting, as I contacted Yamasinc/Accutech recently and couldn't have asked for a more rapid response to a part availability. It was despatched immediately also. They also did the modification of the Sigma to Sigma/404 rapidly and carefully. No complaints here.

IMO it's not the same category at all. Logitech already had a prestige of making decent products. What prestige has Edifier if any?

I'd say, this is a story. I think I need to look these folks up at CES and have a chat wit them.

Be great if they could get some good distribution.

Be good if they could make something like an ESP950 that worked for longer than 45 minutes.

Yeah, I think I better put these guys on the list.

Edited by Tyll Hertsens

Yes in future they will be in shocking pink with fur ear pads and the obligatory rhinestones here here and there seesaw.gif

Something like the Sennheiser HE60/HE90 styling would be nice - Wood, Leather or Burnished Metal always add class to a headphone. The black or brown plastic Stax use isn't the most attractive, but I would guess the current design is for acoustic/weight reasons and to keep prices lower as the yen has risen substantially against most major currencies over the past 5 years.

Edited by complin

As long as the cheaper chinese stuff doesn't undercut sales of the less expensive Stax models, I'm all for it. Improving the Lambda look is also a very good thing in my book, they're almost comically ugly. However the biggest thing would be marketing and distribution - I think we've all said it already and Stax's US distribution network is pathetic. Just fixing that alone, as well as easing up on international pricing and increasing exposure would be a significant step in the right direction.

And fix the bloody 007 mk2 already. Look at Tyll's graphs - I'm sure Stax have their own measurements. How can they let that slip past their QC?

^^^

Agreed.

I reflexively fucking hate everything about this, but can probably still accept it as a net win if assured that someone will take Yama's out back, shoot all of them and harvest their organs for transplant.

See that! You're always taking the high road, Stretch.

Coulda just left a gutt pile, but no, he brought some ice and coolers along.

Edifier's speakers suck. Really, they really really suck. Let me tell you how and why they suck.

I bought their model S330 when I built my first computer rig. In this package is a 2.1 setup that had two speakers and a sub, with a built-in DAC in the sub. It had good reviews, and people online seems to like it a lot. Well, those people have no idea what they were talking about. In its default form, the tiny speakers was missing the mid-range entirely. All I heard was muddy bass + shrieking treble. I've since replaced the plastic boxes with a pair of polk M10, they are much better; but they will never match my stax rig.

Not Only was the sound bad, the built quality was bad too. When I first hooked it up, there was no sound from one side. Turns out it was a contact issue. Volume matching was piss poor at low volume, and there was audible hum from the speakers no matter what the volume was. When you turn the volume knob, you're certainly going to hear distortion on the output of your speakers. That's bad bad bad.

So yeah, while I am looking forward to seeing cheaper electrostatic headphones from these guys, if they are going to produce electrostatic amps (They certainly will be) I'll be staying far FAR away. That said, it's been a while since I bought the speakers, and I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Let's see how they perform in the future.

Can someone ... Or a couple of people ... Tell me whats so bad about Yama? I want to write a news blurb, and I'd like to address people's feelings about Yama. So I need some quotes. Theyll be attributed to "hobbyists on the forums say things like...", so you won't be quoted by name.

Edited by Tyll Hertsens