DAC vs. Stats -- FIGHT

teufelshunde

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether it is right or not, physiology universally uses significance at p<0.05. Anything just above 0.05 is usually fixed with more 'n'.

I do, however, agree with morphsci's point about stating the p-value, rather than just stating that it was > or < 0.05.

This, but for medicine. I think. I don't do research, but all the journal articles state the p value, and if it's p<0.05, then they'll say it's 'statistically significant'. If it's close, but no cigar, they'll say not statistically significant, but compelling, further studies indicated. And who knows how the FDA decides these things. I think they're supposed to compile enough studies that show statistical significance, but who knows what is 'enough.' Maybe it's whether the amount of money the drug company pays them is statistically significant? wink.png

Based on the recommendation of our local Godfather of DACses (Dinny) - I'm going w the NAD M51.

If it sucks, I'll send it back.

Plus Audio Advisor is recommending the Cardas Clear Light Balanced XLR interconnects - also going back if they don't deliver the sonic goodness.

Great! Let us know how it sounds!

Though ... I'm not sure Dinny actually recommended it. Certainly not to a degree of statistical significance. Could be wrong, though. Could someone run an ANOVA on that?

Edited by jvlgato

If it's close, but no cigar, they'll say not statistically significant, but compelling, further studies indicated.

I am a fan of 'approached statistical significance' for p=0.05-0.10, then discussing it as if it was significant anyway.

What is the status of DIY products for USB at 24/192? I was following a few projects, but got busy.....

Interesting Mike. I have decided not to go the Amarra 4 upgrade route. The problem I have with the Oppo is it does not have an SPDIF input.

I just talked to Oppo about that the other day actually. Unfortunately the response was not very encouraging. Here is what they said.

"The ability to use the player as an external DAC is something that has been requested over several generations of products but at this time we do not know when w may have audio or video inputs. It is hard enough trying to process the audio and video signal from a closed source, let alone from an external source were we have no control over the initial quality of the signal."

I just talked to Oppo about that the other day actually. Unfortunately the response was not very encouraging. Here is what they said.

"The ability to use the player as an external DAC is something that has been requested over several generations of products but at this time we do not know when w may have audio or video inputs. It is hard enough trying to process the audio and video signal from a closed source, let alone from an external source were we have no control over the initial quality of the signal."

Yeah, that's pretty much a bullshit response.

It's good to stick to one's knitting.

If Oppo were to take on the task of enabling incoming USB 2.0 audio for the BDP-95, then they'd also have to provide Oppo H/W drivers for Windows and Mac O/S.

If I'm Oppo, what's in it for me to go there?

Clearly not my core competency, not my target market, and not part of my support model.

However, would be great if they did go there.

It's good to stick to one's knitting.

If Oppo were to take on the task of enabling incoming USB 2.0 audio for the BDP-95, then they'd also have to provide Oppo H/W drivers for Windows and Mac O/S.

If I'm Oppo, what's in it for me to go there?

Clearly not my core competency, not my target market, and not part of my support model.

However, would be great if they did go there.

Nope. I was only asking for SPDIF inputs. No drivers required. If they can't do that then I'm not sure I have much confidence in their engineering team. They are definitely behind the curve on this one.

This, but for medicine. I think. I don't do research, but all the journal articles state the p value, and if it's p<0.05, then they'll say it's 'statistically significant'. If it's close, but no cigar, they'll say not statistically significant, but compelling, further studies indicated. ...

I am a fan of 'approached statistical significance' for p=0.05-0.10, then discussing it as if it was significant anyway.

I prefer p = 0.0745. Then discussing its biological relevance/nonrelevance in the discussion.

Does that p value vary according to intoxicant used, i.e. beer vs whiskey vs gin vs cocktail of choice? Or is that taken into account in one of the non-Bayesian equations?

The p value is invariant. However my interpretation would likely vary, mostly by amount, not type, of alcohol consumed