Blue Hawaii Special Edition

pabbi1

Yes, the unmodded Assemblage is a bit grating in the highs with the W3000Anv, but I don't remember it being grating at all with the O2/717.

Funny story, I was listening to the modded Assemblage 3.1 with I guess oversampling (24/96) on, and when I A/B'd it to the Assemblage 2.7 (unmodded) I actually liked the 2.7 WAY better.
In fact, my mind was blown listening to the 2.7 coming from the wrong sampling mode.
Then I switched the oversampling off and had my mind blown again listening to the 3.1.

Anyways, with the 3.1 you basically trade in a bit of emphasis in the highs for a bit of de-emphasis in the highs, and much more bass control.
You end up with a bit less sense of detail to the transients and resolving power, and have a thicker more defined lower end/foundation.
And no grating highs.
The highs in the modded 3.1 seem a tiny bit recessed by 2-3 db compared to what I'd like to hear and would consider neutral.

But then again the snares are snappy and the cymbals are still splashy so I'm probably nitpicking.

I will say that violin, piano actually benefited from the emphasized highs and looser bass of the unmodded Assemblage.
But it does get tiring with some of the other music I've been trying with it. Funk/soul, alt. rock., dnb/psybreaks. (again, with dynamic headphones)

In conclusion, I prefer the unmodded 2.7 with piano and violin. It sounds real/visceral. The GS-1/W3000Anv is actually the best setup I've yet heard with the 2.7
With some music I prefer it to the O2/717, which sounded far too distant and undefined in the bass to be engaging. (which I actually think was a large part due to the source)
The modded 3.1 loses some of this magic up high, but gains noticeable definition to the bass, and in theory would allow the O2 to be more engaging.

We'll see when I get an amp for it to test it further.

It's very sketchy ground to generalize and say Assemblage is grating when every transducer, and different genres of music have different needs for optimum sound.
Sometimes 'realism' isn't the goal, like with effects-heavy production nowadays that's put through auto-tune and effects racks.
There isn't much recording 'space' to be heard.

Anyways, the best you can hope for is to get a transparent amp, and play around with the DAC  and headphones between genres of music.

The Assemblage does truly great things with the GSX and HD600.

I guess you alluded to this in this comment.
Similarly, I guess it's not entirely improbable to own multiple DAC's. *looks over at TheMonkey grinning. ^_^

But it makes sense to spend the most time and money on getting the transparent amp sorted.

So shout outs to people that make this possible. :dan:

Note about the Sonic Frontiers SFD-2mk2: I thought it sounded pretty bad with headphones, not sure why but I wouldn't recommend it. However it was a revelation with powered speakers.
I didn't roll tubes.

Edited by dreamwhisper

Yeah, aren't you one of the regular changstar pirates, most of whom have a real bone to pick with KG designs?

There's nothing wrong with being a changstar pirate that a pre-frontal lobotomy or a visit to an audiologist couldn't fix.

What ever sustains them is good for us.  More stuff to hunt...  :) 

A 007 being harsh isn't something which springs to mind... ever.  They are one of the most forgiving transducers out there so even the crappiest of recordings are just fine with them.  Something is up and it could be something basic as the digital cable used.  My one time being a reviewer (not really but the guy pleaded with me until I caved in) was to test a digital coax cable.  It fucked the sound up so badly in the high frequencies that I offered to send him my normal 75ohm coax cables which cost 1$ per meter so he would know how it was supposed to sound...  ;D 

After reading the whole thread I pulled the trigger this weekend for a new Spritzer build BHSE. I've been lusting this amp for 6 years now and am really curious how it compares to the KGSS with my O2 MK1. The bass should be better but regarding the impact on the hights I have read controversial findings.

After reading the whole thread I pulled the trigger this weekend for a new Spritzer build BHSE. I've been lusting this amp for 6 years now and am really curious how it compares to the KGSS with my O2 MK1. The bass should be better but regarding the impact on the hights I have read controversial findings.

I saw a BHSE Birgir built a couple of weeks ago on his website in which the last time I went on his site that BHSE was no longer there, so I'm assuming you have that BHSE, that being the case you've got a very nice looking amp IMO.

Edited by Dave R

The high frequency on the Blue Hawaii has been criticized over the years but it's not really true.  The high frequencies of electrostatics require the most current so here is where a high power amp comes into its own.  Granted, the BH isn't bright and it's easy to fake "good treble" by simply making something sound bright.  I'm looking at you SR-009!!!!! 

Ohh and this was dropped off last night:

pjFbAoGh.jpg

It needs some TLC but isn't it pretty...  :)

• Like 4

I saw a BHSE Birgir built a couple of weeks ago on his website in which the last time I went on his site that BHSE was no longer there, so I'm assuming you have that BHSE, that being the case you've got a very nice looking amp IMO.

Yes this is mine! And I agree with Birgir the 009 is earbleeding brigt, even on lesser amps and I doubt the BHSE will make it smoother.

Yes this is mine! And I agree with Birgir the 009 is earbleeding brigt, even on lesser amps and I doubt the BHSE will make it smoother.

I got my 009's from PJ in 2011, and while using the stock Mullard and SED tubes with my BHSE, I found my 009's did sound bright, but since using the Psvane PH tubes my 009's no longer sound bright and give me the most realistic SQ I've heard from a headphone combo. I still have both the stock Mullard's and SED's, but I don't think I'll ever use them again.