Blue Hawaii Special Edition

pabbi1

It's not so much about your wallet, it's more about the wait times (which I completely understand the accountable factors in lead and wait times).

I was 90% close to ordering one but my local dealer wants nearly $9k of smackaroos for the RK50 pot iteration and if I ordered through Head-amp I save big $$ (including shipping costs) but the wait times a downer for me as I have no patience to wait for things.

The more or less year of waiting time is part of the deal, as far as I know. And I'm extremely patient.

Ali

• 1 month later...

So I started thinking about whether to get a quad of XF2.   

Shelly, I am a big proponent of xf2 in the BHSE but I never paid $1000 for a quad, and $600 even sounds high but I don't really recall.  I think I bought both of my quads from audiogon but I don't see any on there now.  You could wait and see if you find them for a better price while deciding if there is any need to switch...

I agree with you Al.  Shelly, you can start out collecting a match pair instead of a match quad.  The BHSE will tolerate a two set of match pair as long as the tested values are not too far apart.  I was able to pick up a match Quad of XF4 & XF3 for around $200 shipped.  I can't detect any sonic difference between them either.

Mullard matched quad el34's/6ca7 XF2test at 100% 1962

I do not know the seller. Knowledgeable people may say if it is a good deal. 

• 2 weeks later...

Have a pair of those in a 13wpc SET amp and they are pretty good tubes, not Mullard XF1 level but close, looks like the listing is for a matched quad set at $299 a lot and the seller has 6 lots of quads available. Feel a bit ripped with mine at $250 for a pair. :/ 

What's the going prices for XF1/2's these days? Ebay prices are all over place.  :-

• 3 months later...

That makes the KGSSHV an even better buy if you have the 009's. 

The O2 mk1's would show differences, I heard some and the driver control on the BHSE was a little bit better and that subtle difference made a big difference to certain genres with the O2 mk1 I played around with.

I compared an onboard 5.5mA KGSSHV vs BHSE with the SR-009s. 

I was flat out discerning any differences at all, maybe the SR-007 MK1s would have elaborated better.

What tube are you using on your BHSE?  I still find the BHSE to be better if you use those precious NOS Mullar/Amperex EL34 tubes.  I have tried the 5.5mA 500V IXY as well as 10mA 450V Sanyo and the 450V Sanyo KGSSHV is amazing with the SR009.  The 500V unit is more neutral and tighter in the lower registers, making it a better match with the SR007 MKI IMO.  

That makes the KGSSHV an even better buy if you have the 009's. 

The O2 mk1's would show differences, I heard some and the driver control on the BHSE was a little bit better and that subtle difference made a big difference to certain genres with the O2 mk1 I played around with.

Yes, the O2 MK1 is just sublime with the BHSE.  They are a b*tch to drive properly and only the BHSE & T2 can bring out the best in them.  The KGSSHV does a remarkable job as well but noticeably inferior sounding to the BHSE in a direct comparsion.

I wholeheartedly agree with you that the full-size KGSSHV is a bargain next to the BHSE.  The real bargain maybe the KGHT given its even cheaper pricetag to the KGSSHV.  

007Mk1 or the SR-Omega do make the difference more apparent.  Also choice of music is a factor but at the end of the day the KGSSHV is pretty fucking awesome.  :)

We are forever thankful to you and KG as well as the mafia team for creating the KGSSHV!  :dance:  

once the kg carbontron is brought into the mix there might be too many endgame options

feels bad man

Well...this is good news for us...but yeah...way too many end games setup.  Still, I think the KGSSHV is the very best deal going.  No tube to mess up and it just sound just superb.