Blue Hawaii Special Edition

pabbi1

Are SiCFets the same as MOSFets?  That sounds interesting...I'd love to hear that.

They are mosfets but better.  :)  We will use them in the new Carbon amp for which I hoped to have the PCB's tomorrow.  Just checked the tracking and they went their usual route except not going from the UK to Iceland but rather UK to Japan...  :palm:  Fuck!!!! 

So, a Blue Carbon is on the horizon?  KGBC.

Definitely don't attempt to learn anything about circuit design in your later years. Once you realize how many ways you can building simple circuit elements and how these are "chosen" by designers, then you would probably be paralyzed completely.

Are you denying me the opportunity to become a Cavalli, Woo. et. al.?

Now here is a thought, build a Blue Hawaii with SicFets instead of the tubes. :) It has come up to make a cross between the ST and the BH in the past which would be easier to build and use some of the pentodes.

I am really interested in this new amp. As much as I love my BHSE usually I prefere solid state because of the convenience. And those new transistor types made me curious since reading Nelson Pass' article on them two years ago. http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_sit_intro.pdf

Those were SIT's, and evidently had a short life because all the manufacturers went

out of business quickly. Static induction transistors.

These Silicon Carbide Mosfets (and one company makes jfets) act like standard mosfets

except are very high voltage, very high current and can run up to silly high temperatures.

Also negative temperature coefficient, so no thermal runaway.

And lower capacitance than the crap cavalli uses, so much easier to drive at high frequencies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EL34

The EL34 was widely used in higher-powered audio amplifiers of the 1960s and 1970s, such as the very popular Dynaco Stereo 70 and the Leak TL25(mono) and Stereo 60, and is also widely used in high-end guitar amplifiers because it is characterized by greater distortion (considered desirable in this application) at lower power than other octal tubes[citation needed] such as 6L6, KT88 or 6550. The EL34 is found in many British guitar amps and is associated with the "British Tone" (Marshall, Hiwatt, Orange) as compared to the 6L6 which is generally associated with the "American Tone" (Fender/Mesa Boogie).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KT88

Historically, it has been far more popular with high fidelity stereo manufacturers than guitar amplifier builders, given its characteristics of high-power and low-distortion. Due to these characteristics, it is regularly used to replace 6550 tubes by end users seeking a guitar amplifier tone with less distortion.

Maybe we should ask KG if he could design a BHOP (Blue Hawaii OverPower)

Should set the DIYT2 on it's seat.....

KT88 =100 low distortion watts

EL34 = 55 higher distortion watts.

Now, now Marc... attacking the integrity of Wikipedia!!??!!  ;)

For the record here is the BHSE vs. the KGSSHV mini

BHSE

100hz - .003%

1khz - .0032%

10khz - .0078%

15khz - .0049%

20khz - .0051%

20khz - .015% (with 30khz low pass filter disabled)

KGSSHV mini first proto w/J2145 output and gain devices

kgsshv thd results @ 100Vrms and 30khz low pass filter enabled:

100hz - .0087%
1khz - .0084%
10khz - .0107%
15khz - .0222%
20khz - .0259%

20khz w/ 30khz low pass filter disabled - .0719

both channels are very close to the same thd

Given the gain it's hard to go much lower than that. 

Edited by spritzer

Now, now Marc... attacking the integrity of Wikipedia!!??!! ;)

For the record here is the BHSE vs. the KGSSHV mini

Given the gain it's hard to go much lower than that.

How is that possible! I thought silicon had lower distortion than vaccum state technology?

Thankfully transistors require one to use a soldering iron to remove... Imagine if you could simply unplug them and use a different one? Such an incredible bar which prevents the depravities and proclivities of old age!

Thankfully transistors require one to use a soldering iron to remove... Imagine if you could simply unplug them and use a different one? Such an incredible bar which prevents the depravities and proclivities of old age!

I feel like I'm going to make a foll of myself for not seeing blatant sarcasm... 

But you can socket transistors. 

A few trimpots or socketed resistors (or a transistor and its matching resistor on a little daughter-board so you only have to plug in one thing and never have to bend leads and could maybe even replace a single transistor with an op amp if you wanted) and the KGNCA (KG necessarily complicated amp) would be infinitely transistor roll-able.  

• Like 1