kgst

kevin gilmore

losts of 6s4a (NOS) in here: 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221716637541

but Unfortunately, they has been sold yesterday.......

$52 for about 35...... :-[

Aladdin rebrand of 70's RCA? That's a new one. 

Avnet still has the MPSW56. Good price too. That's where I got mine from for the multi-amp.

Thanks, I picked some up, I'm sure they'll be used somewhere in one of these amps. 

I'm assuming they're no different (sonically or other) from the 2SA970?

Thanks spritz. Rhetorical question: do the Mafia ever produce an amp that doesn't take an obsolete part?    :sherwood:

Well I do love your work; about to finish a KGST, a KGSSHV is partially done, a Megatron has been started, and just assembled the parts for the T2. 

The KGDT is completely current production.. :)  Off the shelf too...

Can you elaborate on the KGDT?

I missed that one.

A one tube simplified KGST IIRC, or something like that. I came across it here I thought, but am unable to find it again. 

Edit: I think this was it, but no elaboration. The layout files are up on Kevin's site, but no PDF schematic

Edited by Earspeakers

I was looking to use the MMBTA56LT1G SOT-23 version, which can dissipate 225 ma max. Looking at the schematic it shouldn't exceed that. BUT..... I'd be much happier using the 1A TO-92. Trouble is, Avnet US want $40 to ship to UK, and if I buy from Avnet Europe, it's minimum of 2000! Now I guess I wouldn't be using all those!

So, if anyone's got some spare, I'd be happy to take them off their hands for a fair price + shipping, Paypal fees, etc.

Hi,

I have 2 sets from the previous GB, I would like to know where can I buy the transformer for US volatage, and for the heatsink, do I need to connect the heatsink to the ground ?

Moreover, this may sound stupid but what tin use ?, I remember when a made a B22 AMB advised some kind of tin.

Do you think that KGST may fit in this case ? http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/3607T-Silver-rounded-aluminum-amplifier-chassis-AMP-Enclosure-case-BOX/1360518_1982669752.html

whith the tube outside (socket screw to the top and connected with wire on the PCB)

Thank you 

Do you think that KGST may fit in this case ? http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/3607T-Silver-rounded-aluminum-amplifier-chassis-AMP-Enclosure-case-BOX/1360518_1982669752.html

whith the tube outside (socket screw to the top and connected with wire on the PCB)

Still have heat sinking to deal with. That one is pretty small IMO, might work. 

KGDT board

post-4675-0-89934900-1427141755_thumb.pn

Edited by Earspeakers

I was looking to use the MMBTA56LT1G SOT-23 version, which can dissipate 225 ma max. Looking at the schematic it shouldn't exceed that. BUT..... I'd be much happier using the 1A TO-92. Trouble is, Avnet US want $40 to ship to UK, and if I buy from Avnet Europe, it's minimum of 2000! Now I guess I wouldn't be using all those!

So, if anyone's got some spare, I'd be happy to take them off their hands for a fair price + shipping, Paypal fees, etc.

Someone posted a few pages back that RS in UK has the MPSW56, (which they do)) and also the smd device you seek.  Search uk.rs-online.com

I've used SOT23 versions for the front end of the KGSSHV and KGST which are lower power than the mpsa series. They get a little warm but run and sound great.

I don't see an issue with the mpsa series for the front end of the ES amps.

No problem using the MPSA parts.  The newest boards have had their labels updated

As for the KGDT, it's pretty much a KGST that you can tuberoll.  It was designed around the ECC99/12BH7A and 6N6pi with selectable current levels but I'll probably scrap that idea when I finalize the boards.  It is bound to cause problems...  Anyway, it is a cracking little amp.  Reposting this for anybody who might not have seen it:

j3Y07gPh.jpg

Finished...

VetqLwyh.jpg

hp4W7rmh.jpg

Hi,

I have 2 sets from the previous GB, I would like to know where can I buy the transformer for US volatage, and for the heatsink, do I need to connect the heatsink to the ground ?

The heatsinks have to be grounded, always. 

Re. the MPSW(A)56...........Thanks for your response everyone!

RS UK do have 700 in stock, min purchase of 50. It's been a couple of months since I checked with them, and ironically I drove past the warehouse this afternoon,. Doh!!

Mouser UK have 5000+ of the MPSA's, minimum purchase of 1, so, in view of spritzers advice, and the fact I've a fistful of parts to get from them anyway, I'll go with MPSA. A lot less pain than the SOT23's I've got. It was a PITA trying to find the pesky little things in their anti-static bag, let alone the thought of having to solder them!