New HiFiMAN headphones

Leonardo Drummond

I wouldn't be able to get past what I hear as a disturbingly uncontrolled mid-treble.

Do you like the HE560's..measurements aside, Tyll?

Seems to me that he answered that question.  

Suppose he may have liked a lot of other things about them, but not the kind of "like" that Tyll has in mind when he says that he really likes a pair of headphones (in a full scale review).  Thus, his reluctance to do the review.  Or at least that's the way I read it.

Edited by Wmcmanus

Tyll, you could try Jerg's "Fazer" mod on the HE-560, which puts dampening on the magnet structure to kill reflections, or his "re-grill mod" to use a more open grill material and reduce back-waves.

Personally I'm a big fan of the HE-560 myself, and find their more open, holographic, and 3D presentation to be very pleasurable. I have been switching back and forth between the stock cable and my Moon-Audio Silver Dragon balanced cable, and I like them either way.

I may have more hearing loss than you, and so the treble doesn't bother me at all.  On the other hand, I did hear a few IEM that sounded to bright at RMAF, until I shoved them as deep into my ears as I could to tame the treble, so I appear to be sensitive to bad treble at other times.

I'm also a big fan of the HE-500 and LCD-2 rev2 which I think are on a similar level to each other, and greater than the LCD-2 rev1 or HE-5LE, but slightly behind the HE-560 and LCD-X.  I have posted previously that the HE-6 treble is smoother and more refined, and with enough power on hand I might prefer the HE-6 the most.  And when the HE-6 are underpowered a lot of people call them bright sounding.

I can't agree with the brightness statements though.  

I walked around RMAF last weekend for two and a half days, sharing my HE-560 via HiFi-M8 DAC/amp and lossless music on iPhone 6 with dozens of people, and not one person complained about the sound in any way. 

Two gentlemen from Florida shared a table with me and my son for lunch on Saturday, and I let them try the HE-560.  They went straight to the HiFiMan booth and tried to buy a pair, but Fang didn't have any for sale until the end of the day Sunday and these guys were leaving before then.  The positive responses were universal.  True, not everyone who liked them is going to actually buy them, but I'm pretty sure that I "sold" at least three HiFi-M8 and HE-560 after people tried my gear.

Tyll, I thought I heard a bit of a 10k 'bump' Is that in the ballpark of what you heard? They were "lighter" sounding than either of the Audezes or the HE 500, too. That, plus the 'bump' could come from what you're saying, but I didn't hear any lack of resolution - that I recognised- in the treble. Of course, I did say that they lacked "bite" . Hmmm. Maybe we were listening to the same headphones.

It seems to me that certain music shows some faults and strengths while other music highlights other stuff. Choose too many pieces and you confuse yourself too the point of stupidity. Too few and..... forming an opinion from one listening session is a chancy affair.

My personal bet is that the LCD-Xs will win out in my system just based on how the other components "lean". Or LCD 3s, maybe? I liked them in my system.

You wouldn't by chance have measurements on these two phones, would you?

• 3 weeks later...

From my experience I can say that I didn't like the HE-560, almost no sub-bass response, this was the strong point of predecessor HE-500, but Hifiman almost cut this fantastic sub-bass response.

Tonality is not great, is not a fast attack headphones and a little too warm (surprisingly) with some kind of music and of course overprice.

• 1 month later...

New HiFiMAN headphones, HE-1000. So not an electrostatic successor to the Jade that many people were speculating, but a regular planar magnetic 'phone... and there's also a (very large) tube amp to go with it. Someone said it's going to cost significantly more than $2.500, though...

They also anounced the RE1000 custom in-ear headphones made with Unique Melody and the HM-901S, a successor to the HM-901.

10854244_574784052666235_645098564172177

10549142_574784059332901_344646036945055

10903990_574780072666633_197716025554045

10644258_574780135999960_916991043436818

0421c153_HM901Spicture2.jpeg

So an Orpheus II is for real?  Would love to have a HD1100!!

they said it wasnt an electrostat.

keep in mind though that

- they will lie to me if they're supposed to lie

- this is just the word of a regional sales rep

i wont believe anything until i see it. the 'new Orpheus' thing surfaces every year with people who supposedly saw it or heard about it, and then nothing.

Edited by justin