KGSSHV Carbon Build Thread

mwl168

the all dht version is $18k or so in parts.

you want the best thing there is, the ggdht (which i just posted) is as close as you are going to get for <$10k

here is the thing, the gain of this amp, and there are only 2 other ways to do the filament, both have problems with the high gain.

1) hum pot between the 2 filament wires, the center of the pot is the cathode. This limits the voltage gain of the output stage a bit.

2) high frequency center tapped transformer, 40khz minimum (seriously, everything else sucks) and then there is still hum, but you can't hear it.

this is the problem with using DHT's in a dc coupled electrostatic design.

Also why 300B's are absolutely the wrong thing for the job.

http://www.emissionlabs.com/Articles/APP-NOTES/AN6-Center-tap/center-tapped-index.htm

Edited by kevin gilmore

On 1/14/2016 at 4:15 AM, johnwmclean said:

Just an observation with the fat psu boards. The silkscreen states an input of AC360, I presume this is the loaded voltage, if so the board default would be the 450V yet the outputs are 400V on the silkscreen?

FWIW, I did a bit of testing; the drop out voltage of the GR HV PS is about 9 VDC for my build which is configured for 400 VDC output.

I’ve managed to get my enclosures finalised, I’m be using existing Heatsink profile sourced from China.

I’m nearly at a stage to send off the order and have been checking the FPE files over and over for errors, I always get nervous at this stage...

I’ll be mounting the boards directly onto the heatsink, the only problem with this is the C2M1000170Ds end up being around 10mm ht with the 4180g pad and screw head, so under each C2M1000170Ds I’ll be drilling a 2.5 mm cavity for a bit more room.

23889842054_7fe3400781_k.jpg

I would move the transformer further away from the volume control as it is so prone to pickup noise there. 

Ohh and you need at least 12mm stand offs if you want to mount the boards directly to the sinks.  My latest ones have all the holes removed to make mounting this way easier.