KGSSHV Carbon Build Thread

mwl168

9 minutes ago, JoaMat said:

4180G

4180G is the insulating pad, which I know about. I thought you were using a special shoulder washer..?

2 hours ago, spritzer said:

My two failed units would beg to differ.  I've stopped using the shoulder washers as they simply don't cut it. 

Do you use PEEK bolts, then? Do you hand-tighten them, or use a specific torque?

I use washer that has sleeve longer than tab thickness. And I enlarged the hole on the thermopad to make sure the sleeve was inserted into the pad. I suspect if the sleeve length is equal to the tab thickness, the tolerance of parts may make it prone to arch. Both washer and pad come from china, not mouser parts.  Two builds (KGST, carbon) now, no problem.

For forward and harsh of carbon, after burning for 4hrs/day, 2 weeks, it improved quite a bit. The sound character now is really like a puncher KGST. Mid and tremble are nearly equal. Soundstage are wider. It sounds like to have more headroom and control if turning the volume super high. But I usually listen to lower volume though.

Edited by joehpj

13 hours ago, gepardcv said:

That looks sweet.

I'm stuck on casework with mine. Drilling and tapping heatsinks for the first time. Turns out it sucks without a drill press. :D

... and even with a drill press it’s no bed of roses.

Pars the cases are my custom design and size, the heatsinks were bought eBay (from China), the panels were all fabricated by Cam-Expert, they also drilled the heatsinks, I sent them images of the style of brushed finish I wanted and they matched it.

Internally the amps measure 300mm(w) 280mm(d) x 115mm(ht), its quite a fit, having lots of fun wiring atm :blink:.

Edited by johnwmclean

21 hours ago, johnwmclean said:

Geoff, I’ve not heard anything yet. Will be interesting when I do, I have a KGSSHV, BHSE and DIYT2 for comparison :P.

Excellent! It will be good to hear your views on it.    I had a breadboard running a few months ago and sadly had to clear it off the desk after a couple of weeks.  It was very nice while it lasted.   I am looking forward to the proper build - my 007 Mk1 seemed to like it and since then I have also an L700.

Wow John I am really impress with you design skill with casing design and build.

John can I one day come to your place to hear and compare when you complete your Carborn build if l happen to be in Sydney side?

As for myself I am finishing my KGST casing after a very long delay. Mange to track down a small machine shop locally to cut a rectangular hole for ventilation on my 5mm top panel and plan to fix a piece of perforated Al sheet to it.

i shold get it in a moths time. Things move sloowly in the country.