New Apple Products Annoucements

Grahame

I think you're referring to this setting (which has been around for a while)?

377ae49b3a9777a59eca8319cf399c11.jpg

Kinda.  Basically, if you have it set as above and you take new photos on the iPhone, does the iPhone upload the high res photos to the cloud from the iPhone - or do you have to plug the phone into the computer and import them into Photos to get the full and unadulterated high res photos into your photo library?

In contrast, I recall reading that if you use photostream to import the photos from iPhone into your Mac photo library that they are not as high res or detailed as if you were to directly connect the phone to the computer and import them.

So I have been researching the iPad Pro since it was announced and I still do not really see the point to the iPad Pro. If I wanted one tablet device to rule them all I would just wait for the Surface Pro 4. A tablet, no matter how big, that is not running a desktop OS will not work as a laptop replacement for me. If I am missing something, please enlighten me.

I think it comes down to the Apps.  I would have said the same thing but I see that some of the core Apps I use at work - basically Microsoft Office, Outlook/Exchange, and other customs apps I can access through Citrix App Server - are now on IOS.

The barrier seems to be closing more and more, though I imagine some of the Apps would still be stronger on a true full OS machine.

While I generally agree with Jim I think that what we may see are a new set of Apps that allow for the Pro to be more of a laptop/PC replacement than the current iPad already is and the Pro already appears like it might be.  But the best argument I've heard against this yet is that the App store is actually the problem.  Apps are capped at $9.99 and some of the developers who want to make better apps for the Pro need to be allowed to charge more.

The app's are why I've never considered the Surface.

Just about all pro audio apps can be used on Apple devices but not the other way around (Logic being the most obvious).

Maybe there's a cap on the price on some types software (never heard this), but it doesn't seem to apply to audio. Just off the top of my head, Steinberg's iPad DAW, Cubasis and Neyrinck's V-Control Pro (which may be the single most used pro audio ipad app) are both $49.

Edited by ironbut

While I generally agree with Jim I think that what we may see are a new set of Apps that allow for the Pro to be more of a laptop/PC replacement than the current iPad already is and the Pro already appears like it might be.  But the best argument I've heard against this yet is that the App store is actually the problem.  Apps are capped at $9.99 and some of the developers who want to make better apps for the Pro need to be allowed to charge more.

When did this happen?  I have certainly paid for than $9.99 for an ipad app in the past.  Did you mean $999.99?

Edited by shellylh

The Pro is going to be the tablet to have in about 6-12 months after its released when developers have had a chance to make apps just for it. I really do want it, but I think I'm going to wait for version 2 for exactly that reason.

As much as the Surface Pro is a wonderful device (former owner here) the quality of the apps on the iOS side of the fence is just far superior to what is available through the windows store. Yes, the Surface Pro can do windows desktop apps, but the experience of using those in tablet mode is generally pretty poor.

Edited by TMoney

Well the problem for me to replace my laptop is also the apps. I do not ever see R being available for IOS. But you have convinced me that once again I am an outlier and for many the iPad Pro will work fine as a Lablet. Oh, and I have also paid more than $9.99 for IOS apps.

Edited by morphsci

I didn't even know there were Tiers.

I guess it makes sense but I don't know how Apple takes their cut from 3rd party developers on or outside of the app store (most of the software I buy is sold on the developer's sites and are licensed and sold by whatever is the wackiest and painful methods they can dredge up!).

Maybe the App Store is too damned civilized for me to understand!

Browsing coverage maps, etc., but having a little difficulty seeing how inferior some services are. Coming off a corp phone so have to think about data usage again. T-mobile seems to have the best upper data plans (even more so with music services not counting). Obviously different areas are going to have different coverage, but Dan, you or others move from AT&T or Verizon to T-mobile and have any issues? 

Tmobile's coverage where I live is not particularly good, but it's good enough.  AT&T is the only really good coverage around here.  It makes up for it with the wifi calling.  Verizon is horrible around here.  Any city, it's good.  I'm hoping the new bands will make it better, too.

• Like 1

I had a 3PM reservation today to pick up my non-contract T-mobile 128GB 6s+ to use with my ATT SIM, but 5 minutes before it was my turn to pay I decided to get out of line and cancel. 

I did this last year and bought a T-Mo no-contract iPhone 6 to use my ATT SIM, since all the iPhone 6 were the same - but this time while in line I discovered that the new ATT 6s+ is different from the others carriers and includes LTE band 30, which is faster and being rolled out right now by ATT.  Other than LTE band 30 they are identical.  

Since I'm happy with last year's phones, I figure I'll wait for a month or two until I can pick up an unlocked 6s+ with LTE band 30 - especially since I just bought an iPad Air 2 for myself and an iPad Mini 4 for my wife yesterday.  It gives me time to spread out the costs.