New Apple Products Annoucements

Grahame

The iPad decreased my MacBook use.

The iPhone 6+ decreased my iPad use.

The Apple Watch decreased my iPhone use. 

Errrr.

This is why (shoot me if you disagree, as I'm sure nearly everyone will), I'm still stubbornly sticking with my (egad!) Blackberry and have yet to venture into the Smart* phone jungle.

*Not so smart if you value human interaction, and are not capable (as I surely am not) of staying off of the internet for more than 5 minutes at a time whenever it is available to you.  

My Blackberry is perfect!  It's ugly, it's boring, it's not very functional, but it rings when I get a phone call, gives me an email feed and the ability to reply to important messages that need my immediate attention, or to send texts, or to take an occasional low grade picture of some strange looking item that I'm about to go to Home Depot to replace and will need to see a picture of to ensure I'm buying the right thing.  Totally utilitarian, and never tempting to use as a time waster... since I refuse to enable the browsing capabilities (and would obviously switch to an iPhone or the like if ever I give in to that temptation).

Edited by Wmcmanus
  • Like 1

Will probably upgrade to iPhone 6s when the time comes, using a 5s now.

With me being more a PC guy for major work, I'll stick with that.  Will get the new iPad (non-Pro) at some longer-term point to upgrade my iPad Air, though.

I AM impressed by the releases overall, though.  It's clear Apple sees both sides of the coin for tablets (consumer and pro/enterprise) and is trying to gain market.  Getting more & more Enterprise-class apps on IOS (as well as OSX) will help....

Using the iPad as a remote for my workstation is about 1/4 of what I use it for.

Luckily, there a lots of great pro audio apps that have been adapted to iOs.

Here's a synth that I fool with on my iPad. Because of all the controls, it was split up into 4 views (there's also a virtual keyboard).

Having to switch views can take a toll on creativity.

thor-closeup.af6481aa313e.jpg

This is why (shoot me if you disagree, as I'm sure nearly everyone will), I'm still stubbornly sticking with my (egad!) Blackberry and have yet to venture into the Smart* phone jungle.
*Not so smart if you value human interaction, and are not capable (as I surely am not) of staying off of the internet for more than 5 minutes at a time whenever it is available to you.  

My Blackberry is perfect!  It's ugly, it's boring, it's not very functional, but it rings when I get a phone call, gives me an email feed and the ability to reply to important messages that need my immediate attention, or to send texts, or to take an occasional low grade picture of some strange looking item that I'm about to go to Home Depot to replace and will need to see a picture of to ensure I'm buying the right thing.  Totally utilitarian, and never tempting to use as a time waster... since I refuse to enable the browsing capabilities (and would obviously switch to an iPhone or the like if ever I give in to that temptation).

once my contract with att is over for this 6 plus I'm going back to a flip phone. The happiest and least anxious I have been in recent memory were times when I either didn't have my phone for weeks at a time. Disconnecting from the internet and the little burst of dopamine from the constant notifications has made for some very unhealthy habits. 

• Like 1

I'm pretty happy with my iPhone 6+ right now, as well as my original 128gb iPad Air.  But the iPad mini 4 is tugging at me a little (I have a 64gb iPad mini original for when I need pocket size).  With my 53 year old eyes I prefer the size and speed of the Air.  Can't decide if I want to lug around an iPad Pro though, looks too big.

Edited by HeadphoneAddict
autocorrect changed "decide" to "size" made no sense

Damn it... the stupid iPad Pro is calling my name. I use my iPad Air a ton (laptop stays at work unless I'm on the road) and I can't help thinking how nice it would be to have a bigger one with a keyboard case.

Damn you, Apple. I know I should wait until the iPad Pro 2 but I might not be able to hold out.

• Like 1

Does iOS 9 allow you to set your 6s+ camera for less the 12mp or are people stuck with all their photos being even bigger and using more space than is needed for typical 5x7 prints or viewing on a 1080p TV?  How good do we expect the low light performance to be?

I passed on getting a 6s+ right away because the 6+ has been good enough, but I never thought the low light camera performance was a good as advertised.  I want better low light photos and video, not more megapixels.

Does iOS 9 allow you to set your 6s+ camera for less the 12mp or are people stuck with all their photos being even bigger and using more space than is needed for typical 5x7 prints or viewing on a 1080p TV?  How good do we expect the low light performance to be?

I passed on getting a 6s+ right away because the 6+ has been good enough, but I never thought the low light camera performance was a good as advertised.  I want better low light photos and video, not more megapixels.

I'm not sure 5x7 physical prints or a 1080p TV are 'typical' photo measurements at this point and with the editing software on the phone that capture resolution will equate to eventual output resolution, but if you wanted to downsample your photos there are several photo apps that allow you to set input/output resolutions. That said I'd capture high and just keep less photos on the device. Also keep in mind the iCloud storage jump that just occurred.   

And check out this

Edited by blessingx

I'm not sure 5x7 physical prints or a 1080p TV are 'typical' photo measurements at this point and with the editing software on the phone that capture resolution will equate to eventual output resolution, but if you wanted to downsample your photos there are several photo apps that allow you to set input/output resolutions. That said I'd capture high and just keep less photos on the device. Also keep in mind the iCloud storage jump that just occurred.   

And check out this

$30K hahahahah not right now thanks!  (but it is cool)

I have 200GB with iCloud, and saw they dropped it from $3.99/mo to $2.99/mo.  I'm using 30GB for iCloud backups of 4 devices, and the remaining 169GB is enough for my 130GB Photos library if I choose to turn on iCloud photo library.  So I wonder if I turn on iCloud photo library, will my camera roll be automatically uploaded in full resolution, but the the photos on my phone will be smaller thumbnail-like versions until I try to view them, at which point they'll be downloaded in high res?  

That might work for me.  I ask because I also keep reading that photostream doesn't have the full original resolution photos stored on it, and so I don't know how the new iCloud photo library option will affect the resolution.  I really think they should offer a 400-500GB iCloud for $4.99 though.