Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

Good plan. For someone coordinated like yourself it'll probably feel like the class is moving kind of slow but the experience that you'll get might just save your life. I had my brother (who's a MSF instructor) run me through the course a couple of years ago, I was amazed at how much I needed to learn, this after riding for 10+ years.

Let's hope you never need them. :)

Thanks Nate

2503621196_7373352a29.jpg?v=0

OOP rare direct-to-disc recording :dance:

This was recorded by M&K Realtime. They were mostly known for speakers, but did a lot of direct-to-disk recordings in the late 70's and early 80's. I bought this album in 1978. It's one of my two favorite jazz albums, the other being a direct-to-disk recording of The LA Four "Going Home". M&K also made some high quality CDs of their d-to-d recordings. I have a copy of this and Fatha Hines on one gold CD.

Unfortunately, M&K went out of business early last year. Enjoy your album. You have a winner here.

I was never a fan of the Katana line. Too heavy compared to sport bikes. But the main difference between a Katana (Sport) and a GSX-R600 (Super sport) is comfort. I had a Honda CBR F4 and a GSX-R600 and they were a joy to ride. I learned on a GS-500 and it was a really good learners bike.

These days, I've been advising everyone to start small, 250-500, and definitely not a super sport. I had a good friend pass away last year due to inexperience and I don't want to see anything like that happen to anyone else when it can easily be avoided.

We were trying real hard to figure that out, but just couldn't come up with a good color combination that would work well. Neither of us would make a good interior decorator. Where's Ian when I need him? LOL

I saw this post on my smart phone between events at a track meet in NJ this weekend, but couldn't respond... The legend of the accent wall grows! :D

I had a friend that learned on an R6. No joke....no joke :o

My friend learned on a R6, then moved to a R1 a few months later after his R6 was stolen. He wrecked it, but walked away fine. Not everyone's so lucky.

So far, within the people I know, the accident rate is about 75%.

My friend learned on a R6, then moved to a R1 a few months later after his R6 was stolen. He wrecked it, but walked away fine. Not everyone's so lucky.

~ 40% death rate among people I know. Close to 100% accident rate.

Doing an ER rotation in a Trauma 2 center..... :o

What is the time frame for this 75%, the first year? For long time riders, I'd say the accident rate is very close to 100%. Of course, that is also true for cars. As we say, "there are two kinds of riders, those that will fall and those that will fall again.

~ 40% death rate among people I know. Close to 100% accident rate.

Doing an ER rotation in a Trauma 2 center..... :o

Again, what is the time frame here? I've ridden since 1990 and nobody I have known has died due to a motorcycle accident in this time. Virtually all the riders I know have gone down during the same period. All the people I ride with dress appropriately (helmet, gloves, leathers/synthetic suit, boots).

Life is dangerous and always fatal. Each person has to choose how to deal with the danger, whether it involves sports, vehicles, eating habits, smoking, etc. Many riders like to play down the danger of riding a motorcycle. It's much more dangerous than driving a car. It's almost as dangerous as riding a bicycle in the street.

Thanks guys ::)

Well I know a few people that race(d) amateur league level. Other than my cousin and one other guy these guys were killed in world superbike tier bikes (Ducs, Aprillias).

Again, what is the time frame here? I've ridden since 1990 and nobody I have known has died due to a motorcycle accident in this time. Virtually all the riders I know have gone down during the same period.

About ten year time frame give or take. Most people I know that started riding got their motorcycle license a few years after their regular drivers license.

And the 100% accident rate includes minor things like dumping their bike at a stop light.

edit: to make this more clear: my sample size for people I know that ride is relatively small compared to someone that actually does ride. So take that for what it's worth. I know five people that have died so far. One of them was sort of indirectly (only met him once).

Well I know a few people that race(d) amateur league level. Other than my cousin and one other guy these guys were killed in world superbike tier bikes (Ducs, Aprillias).

Most studies (what few there are) show that bike type or engine size is a non-factor in fatal crashes. What stands out is that alcohol is involved in a large percentage of crashes. It was something like 55%, which doesn't sound like that much but is, when one considers what the percentage of riders that drink and ride is. I'm guessing that it's much less than 50%. I know only a couple of riders that do it, and then only rarely.

About ten year time frame give or take. Most people I know that started riding got their motorcycle license a few years after their regular drivers license.

And the 100% accident rate includes minor things like dumping their bike at a stop light.

I'd agree with this number, both for motorcycle riding and driving a car. Of course, the potential for bodily damage is much greater in a motorcycle accident.

Ken sorry I added an edit to my above post.

edit: to make this more clear: my sample size for people I know that ride is relatively small compared to someone that actually does ride. So take that for what it's worth. I know five people that have died so far. One of them was sort of indirectly (only met him once).

None of the people I knew were under the influence when they were riding.

That said I agree it is something I did see amongst biker groups, usually partying or going to the bars then riding back afterwards.

A friend of mine had a bike accident happen right in front of her folks' house last year at Thanksgiving. It was a back road and he was doing 80+, lost it on an easy bend after hitting some sand and hit a tree with no helmet.

She's an AT and has some EMT training and went running out. Needless to say it was a mess. She can handle quite a bit, but it was too much for even her. She said it looked like the watermelons in a Gallagher show.

Most studies (what few there are) show that bike type or engine size is a non-factor in fatal crashes. What stands out is that alcohol is involved in a large percentage of crashes. It was something like 55%, which doesn't sound like that much but is, when one considers what the percentage of riders that drink and ride is. I'm guessing that it's much less than 50%. I know only a couple of riders that do it, and then only rarely.

I'd agree with this number, both for motorcycle riding and driving a car. Of course, the potential for bodily damage is much greater in a motorcycle accident.

Here's my own "edit", which took too long to write and the edit time limit expired.

Edit: To make things clear too, my user name comes from the fact that I own a Moto Guzzi motorcycle. I actually have 4 motorcycles. Since 1990, on the street I've had at least 5 accidents and a couple of tip-overs. Two of the accidents involved injuries. In one of them I shattered my right scapula (shoulder blade). In the other I broke 6 ribs, had a minor concussion, had a partially collapsed lung and probably rebroke the scapula. The latter was at a relatively slow speed (45mph or less). I don't remember the accident but it's obvious I locked up the front wheel. When I hit the road, I tumbled instead of sliding. That's where almost all the damage occurred. The concussion probably occurred when first hitting the ground. Fortunately, I had full protective gear on or the damage could have really been bad.

For anybody that doesn't think a full face helmet is necessary, I'll be happy to show you the helmet. You can see where I first hit the ground and then all the other places around the helmet that I hit while tumbling. Without a helmet, I would either have died or probably suffered major brain damage. Without a full face helmet, I would have needed major reconstructive surgery on my face and jaw. As it was, I was able to walk within 15 minutes of the accident and had to spend one night in a hospital to see if the lung got better or worse. Fortunately, it got better. Of course, then there was the 3 weeks of extreme pain from 6 broken ribs, but they healed OK. A later chest X-RAY showed the extent of the damage though.

Yes, I'm still riding.

A friend of mine had a bike accident happen right in front of her folks' house last year at Thanksgiving. It was a back road and he was doing 80+, lost it on an easy bend after hitting some sand and hit a tree with no helmet.

She's an AT and has some EMT training and went running out. Needless to say it was a mess. She can handle quite a bit, but it was too much for even her. She said it looked like the watermelons in a Gallagher show.

I doubt a helmet would have made much difference in this accident except for the extent of the mess. Helmets aren't to protect a rider from hitting something solid head-on at high speed. They are to protect the head from a fall at ride height to the ground and then take sliding or tumbling blows. Hitting something solid at high speed is the way to kill or severely damage one's self, whether the person is motorcycling, skiiing, being tossed from a car, etc.

I actually only know 1 person who passed away, but a decent amount who have been very injured (shattered eye socket, screws in knees, rods in shins, etc.).

But yea, my friend who was an EMT (now in med school) has told me many stories of riders he's encountered while on call. Very sad.

Two sets of *very* yellow HD 414 pads for my SR 225. It will be one ugly headphone, but hopefully comfort will be up and the highs a bit down.

Wow I just brought two HD414 for my HF-1s too about 3 weeks ago. Yeah it looks ugly, but it is more comfortable to me than the bowls.

Am I the only one watching this thread trying to find out who bought hirch's Wheatfield? >:D
He advertised it on Head-Fi, too (I think), so it may not be anyone here.

(Don't ask me, I don't know; all I know is, he sold a bunch of shit yesterday. Enough maybe to buy a pen or two.)

Me: a bunch of books: DSP Filters, audio engineering, almost all of the Fables graphic novel trades that are out, Alan Moore's Lost Girls -- almost bought "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill -- any recommendations, yay or nay, on the subject?

Jay -- "forewarned is forearmed" -- they're telling you because they care enough to want you to be careful.