Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

Nice! That's the same guy I bought my speakers from. You did too, right?

Yep, I got my Quad 12L Actives from him as well. He's a really good guy. The only downside is that I have to pay Taxachusetts because it's in-state. :rant:

Even with the Sterling tanking against the USD thats a pretty good price. I had my eye on one for absolutely ages.

After much debate, I concluded it made more sense to replace my source and gain digital switching than it did to insert a volume control in my already-convoluted signal path. Currently it goes USB -> Edirol UA-5 -> Adcom GCD-750 -> Gilmore Lite -> Quads. The variable and fixed outputs on the Quad 99 will significantly signify things. Additionally, it upsamples and can accept 24/192 input. The only area where the Adcom exceeds the Quad (well, besides weight) is that it has four DACs and true balanced outputs. I am unsure on the sonic differences between the two units. It will be interesting to compare them.

Although I'll probably live to regret it . . . :stick:

:rofl:

Yep, I got my Quad 12L Actives from him as well. He's a really good guy. The only downside is that I have to pay Taxachusetts because it's in-state. :rant:

Can't you just bribe a New Hampshire (or closer) HC'er, have the dealer ship it there and pick it up? It's got to be cheaper than paying Mass sales tax.

After much debate, I concluded it made more sense to replace my source and gain digital switching than it did to insert a volume control in my already-convoluted signal path. Currently it goes USB -> Edirol UA-5 -> Adcom GCD-750 -> Gilmore Lite -> Quads. The variable and fixed outputs on the Quad 99 will significantly signify things. Additionally, it upsamples and can accept 24/192 input. The only area where the Adcom exceeds the Quad (well, besides weight) is that it has four DACs and true balanced outputs. I am unsure on the sonic differences between the two units. It will be interesting to compare them.

You'll be able to bastardise some kind of balanced output from the Quad if you knock together a Quadlink adapter. The Quadlink uses a balanced signal, but it's highly likely that a poor implementation for balancing the signal in the gear is at least partly responsible for the criticism that the connection gets for sounding shitty.

That was a pretty smart move to buy this source, especially for a lawyer. :P I can't believe that it lasted as long as it did.

Did you get any extra tubes, etc. with it?

Thanks Ken! It comes with a pair of Amperex tubes. I'm looking forward to having a cdp. I wonder how long that will last.:)