Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

What was the Westone 3 sound signature like?

Warm and musical, but lacking details in the mids and seriously rolled off highs. The bass is good and tight for an IEM, but a little bit over-the-top in quantity for my tastes. What really killed it for me is the presentation of the vocals which I find weird and unnatural, but I don't see many people other stating that so take it with a grain of salt. I'll continue to use my ER4S (which are painfully bright when coming from the Westone 3, but very good in their own right) until I find something that satisfy me.

Warm and musical, but lacking details in the mids and seriously rolled off highs. The bass is good and tight for an IEM, but a little bit over-the-top in quantity for my tastes. What really killed it for me is the presentation of the vocals which I find weird and unnatural, but I don't see many people other stating that so take it with a grain of salt. I'll continue to use my ER4S (which are painfully bright when coming from the Westone 3, but very good in their own right) until I find something that satisfy me.

Have you tried the UE Triple Fis? I must be be a little off as well because my impressions of the ER4s seem to mirror yours. I threw my ER4s in a drawer when I picked up the Triple Fis and have never looked back. Everything the ER4s were lacking, and there were more than a few for my tastes, I found the Triple Fis delivered. Controlled bass, detailed mids, and voices that were both natural and accurate.

Have you tried the UE Triple Fis? I must be be a little off as well because my impressions of the ER4s seem to mirror yours. I threw my ER4s in a drawer when I picked up the Triple Fis and have never looked back. Everything the ER4s were lacking, and there were more than a few for my tastes, I found the Triple Fis delivered. Controlled bass, detailed mids, and voices that were both natural and accurate.

They're on my short list of universal IEMs I want to try, but I'm worried about the comfort. I owned the Super.fi 5 Pro a while ago and I had a hard time getting a good fit, but I've read that the Shure olives can help with that on the Triple.fi. If I see a good deal on a used pair, I might buy them to find out by myself.

Digital parametric equalizers are nothing special... hell the DEQ2496 is only like $200 or so.
You can't select any more than one frequency (I don't mean select yes/no; I mean select as in I want this one at 2134Hz, and this one at 2233Hz, and this one at 2345 Hz, etc.), though, can you? To me, it sounds like the GS-1000 has 2 or 3 peaks and valleys real close together in a rather important frequency region.

You can't select any more than one frequency (I don't mean select yes/no; I mean select as in I want this one at 2134Hz, and this one at 2233Hz, and this one at 2345 Hz, etc.), though, can you? To me, it sounds like the GS-1000 has 2 or 3 peaks and valleys real close together in a rather important frequency region.

yup, that's what a parametric equalizer does. It just depends how small the buckets are whether or not you can do what your asking. You can with the DEQ. Reason I know is people use it to prototype active crossovers, and need this sort of functionality.

Sure can, that's why it's called a parametric eq, because you select the three parameters for it (frequency, bandwidth, and gain). You're not going to be able to get as specific as 2134Hz, the two closest frequencies with the fine-tuning adjustment on the DEQ2496 are 2118Hz and 2143Hz, but I highly doubt you would actually need that degree of precision... at that range your peaks and valleys are going to be a lot wider than just a few Hz.

Dew et. You can't really be a snob about it until you try it and hear it for yourself in your own system.

I double-dog-dare you.

Uh...except that you would need moar amps.

heh, moar amps and modding the DEQ means another year without a complete system :) no thanks. I'll stick with Speaker Workshop and LEAP and breadboards and massive inductors for now. That said, it would be lots of fun....

Yup, it was inhaling batteries at a rate of about 1 every 3 weeks or so. According to everything that I've read it will be replaced instead of repaired and should be back any day now.

That inhaling of batteries sounds a little like an internal short. Hopefully an individual item malady. Well the $241 price was enticing for the tech. I did some websearch on it without running into a bunch of other people's problems. And it is the newer MI model, so maybe any initial teething problems have been addressed. So now we just hope for the best, right? You pay yer money, you take yer chances.

Saturday I picked up a Sony PRS-700. After some experimenting, I got all my books cataloged and loaded to my OCD satisfaction. The screen isn't nearly as nice as the 505, but that is due to the touch screen, which I need for my optimal PDF compatibility. So far, I'm very happy with it. I've had my eye on an eBook reader since I saw the old Sony alpha, but until now I had yet ot find one to fit my uses exactly. I wont know until I use it a bit more, but this comes pretty close.