What TV show are you watching now?

Torpedo

9 hours ago, mikeymad said:

image.png.81159984ebb71aa5b1ce5af05946a8b0.png

Started Season 2 - only two episodes out. Did I watch season one - no.. Why did I watch season 2, Not sure - maybe Kaley. 

But, I enjoyed it so far. I liked the editing and pacing, and it has a real Only Muders in the Building vib and humor. 

I watched season 1 when it came out. Not bad, nor great. I'd watch S2.

Sunday finished Severance first and only season so far. Hated the cliffhanger ending, so left wishing for a S2.

• Like 1

Very engaged by the first three epsodes of Billy the Kid (Epix). Much moreso than the first ep of The Man Who Fell to Earth (Showtime).

@Ric - curious on your take of the final season (and finale) of Better Things (FX), particularly compared to earlier seasons.

On 4/28/2022 at 11:30 AM, jpelg said:

@Ric - curious on your take of the final season (and finale) of Better Things (FX), particularly compared to earlier seasons.

Held off answering until I got to the last two episodes. Well, the pandemic was the second disruption to the show (Louis CK being the first) expanding time between seasons and shifting the tone of the show (and likely writing team). I thought it started off particularly poorly and being the known last season a lot of nostalgic scenes, but still it contained its fair share of magic moments that 90% of other complete show runs never have. Has plenty of proposals that makes me question my individual and especially parenting choices. It continued a female (not feminine) world I still know too little about. It's gonna sound mansplaining, but why isn't this touted from the rooftops as a huge feminist success? And not to sound too serious, so warmly cynical, and fun while doing it. I'm still amazed this thing got to air. 

So that said, no, it wasn't my favorite season, and probably compromised that Celia Imrie (Phyllis) was stuck in the UK by Covid, but it was plenty good enough for me (<- even that seems undervaluing) and had me tearing up a few times mid-late in the season. However I grow or shrink in the future I want to revisit this show in a decade and see what it continues to offer. 

What did you think of the season and show overall? 

Edited by blessingx
  • Like 1

Triple TV post (and a sign I’m lazy after a crazy work week). Ozark just returned with the final half-season wind down and at least the first two episodes (all I’ve seen) are as solid as any other time in recent seasons. 

86D29C81-93AA-4440-9EC5-EDE9BE8D7D31.jpeg.8fcf31aabc5e8c93d983935c05750c89.jpeg

Edited by blessingx
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/30/2022 at 11:42 AM, blessingx said:

What did you think of the season and show overall? 

I have been a big fan of the show since the beginning, especially the first three seasons. I also agree with all of your comments, including my disappointment with season 5 & its finale.The initial seasons were a breath of fresh air, capturing Adlon's (& LCK's) wimsy & irreverence, telling the story of a minor-celebrity single parent (none of which am I) trying to fumble through (as most of us are) in the 21st-century. Throughout, I celebrated being educated, having my mind expanded, and just going along for the ride. Amidst the overall high level, there were moments of absolute brilliance (note the "Tilted" video that ended season 2 as a prime example), that I was so happy to have witnessed. Even when the story route appeared circuitous, it eventually came back to close the theme, if not completely resolve the topic at hand.

Season 5 was so disjointed - some of which was the result of the pandemic as you noted, and some was the result of creative choices that Adlon made (seemingly) on purpose. Most disappointing to me, I think, was that many of the characters seemed to go backwards.  Frankie is still pretty-much the insufferable child she has been all along despite now becoming an 18 y/o, Phyll is back in England with her childhood beau, Jeff is back with Alan after we witnessed a horrible breakup breakdown, Rich is re-marrying Sunny (really???) - the only relationship more toxic than Jeff & Alan's. Finally, Sam is now the unapologetic, irresponsible creative/social-justice-warrior who can spew her "shit" everywhere (another overarcing them this season) while her stable, good-&-perfect brother Marion picks up all the pieces for her. She's basically given up trying to be "better" (see what I did there?). The only character I felt compelling this season was Max, who's arc saw her develop & grow (painfully so) into a real adult (I just wanted to give her a paternal hug). Most of the rest this season was self-indulgent filler, including the un-creative, nearly verbatim rehash video opening of the finale "Woke Up Looking" (the original artist with whom Adlon apparently connected because her own real-life daughter shares the same first name). Whew! I feel "better" now (see what I did there again?). I'm sure Adlon doesn't give a rat's patootee what I think so...

TL;DR - loved the show, not so much the final season or finale.

Edited by jpelg
  • Like 1

Thanks for taking the time to type the above and I agree with much you said about the season being more disjointed and about Max's beautiful growth. Where we may disagree is the purpose of those other character changes or reverting actions.

[spoilers]

Although the series has always been about protection and acceptance, this season seemed to double down there, less in supporting individuals/representatives, but more in looking at Sam's criticism of others in her life. She's a little challenged now. After giving Sunny and Rich feedback in multiple speeches and likely TV's longest laugh, she accepts and supports Sunny's choice (which after all is hers and isn't that unrealistic). Phyll is going to always be Phyll and you can continue to fight it or accept (and realize the parts in you). What lead to Max's secret from her mother and does she trust and believe her choice for support - which obviously she has a lot to do with ("And she was with you? She's okay?")? Etc.

And a whole lot of stuff about aging out and letting go. 

So, while not denying some issues with the last season, I thought after four seasons of us riding and laughing with Sam's cynical judgement of the world, the final season looked at those judgements (which she probably needs to adjust a little, with love, understanding, and acceptance in focus through the discomfort). Everyone close to her made choices she disagreed with (some with reverting). And she came to peace-ish with them. The ending's end may be all delusion (hey LA aurora!), which itself may be a criticism of what immediately proceeded it, but it leans in the right direction, and I buy it. 

Edited by blessingx
  • Like 1

Watched the first episode of the new Star Trek series last night: Strange New Worlds.

Overall I liked it a lot and feel that it has the potential to be right up there with TNG.

The coolness & quality outweighed the occasional eye rolls, IMO.

It had that Roddenberry feel that has been missing for a long time and I really like almost all of the cast members, especially the Big 3. I also liked all of the Easter Eggish tie-ins with the original series, pretty cool for an old Trekkie like me.

69658.jpg

• Like 2

Finished Severance over the weekend.  Really enjoyed the mind-fuck of it all.  I didn't do a lot of theorizing, so a lot of the reveals in the final episodes hit plenty hard, even if there were some bread crumbs leading up. 

Finished Slow Horses last night.  Really enjoyed that too.  I forgot how much I like the British 6-episode season.  The story flew by, and never felt bloated like some of the "we have to get to 10" Netflix series can.  And Gary Oldman is amazing.

Looking forward to second seasons of both.  Need to get back on The Great.

• Like 2

On 5/6/2022 at 8:12 AM, MoonShine said:

Watched the first episode of the new Star Trek series last night: Strange New Worlds.

Overall I liked it a lot and feel that it has the potential to be right up there with TNG.

The coolness & quality outweighed the occasional eye rolls, IMO.

It had that Roddenberry feel that has been missing for a long time and I really like almost all of the cast members, especially the Big 3. I also liked all of the Easter Eggish tie-ins with the original series, pretty cool for an old Trekkie like me.

69658.jpg

Just finished the first three episodes - a good distraction for today. I have to say really well done overall. There are a few weak spots, but really good production value, and I have appreciated the writing so far. I am looking forward to watching more of the series. 

{unless it turns to poop and I drop it like its hot}

• Like 2

I'd forgotten about this case. I was in Texas, going to college when it happened. But for me it was overshadowed by what was known as the Matamoros murders. Four students from the same college I went to went missing. Later their bodies were found in Matamoros, Mexico. That border town was about 1/4 mile from my college, and students regularly went across. The story gets pretty gruesome and involves Santaria practices.

MV5BZWUzNWM3YTItMzY1OC00N2NmLTkwNjMtMWU0NGJiYTA5YWIxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTM1MTE1NDMx._V1_.jpg

On 4/30/2022 at 3:45 PM, blessingx said:

For any fans of The Wire (or just great television), the limited series We Own This City (HBO) by Justin Fenton, George Pelecanos, and yep, David Simon, has a really strong pilot. Second episode hits in a couple days. 

Just finished the limited-series six episodes. Really worth your time. 

Edited by blessingx