XLR interconnect recommendations

postjack

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am discovering awesome deals on Chinese high end cables and equipment while in Singapore, they are sure to skyrocket in price once popular. I could get some names for you. I bought some for roughly $300US that are better than Nordost Valhalla. I would give the name, but it's in Chinise.

Sure, why not?

I've considered DIY-ing my own cables, but I think I broke the soldering iron on my first try <___<

The audioquest columbias on ebay look mighty tempting, $238 for an XLR pair with the 72V DBS. Used, though.

synertubes.jpg

From Stereophile CES Report:

We ran into SinglePower Inc.'s Mikhail Rotenberg as he was sprinting down the hall to the Synergistic Research room. "Check these out," he said. "These are a 1932 Tung Argon 4327 and a 1943 722A (323), labeled Centennial, but manufactured by Western Electric."

Rotenberg has a warehouse full of NOS treasures like this he bought from a MilSpec supplier near West Point. A few minutes later, we saw them in action, but we could have never guessed what they were being used in.

This is the Synergistic Research/SinglePower Enigma power supply ($6000) for Synergistic's active shielded Tesla cables (interconnect $1200

Yeah I like the tubes I like the aesthetic of the device as simple as it is. But I'm pretty skeptical of the whole thing... but...

The other Dan who was there to pick up his balanced supra has that thing so does I think Rob N and Blubliss. I asked Dan what did it do for him and he basically said it made things sound better and without it things sounded worse. Sounded awfully like placebo/wishful thinking but eh... should I be more inclined to believe him if he gave a really accurate description of what it seems to do for him with the usual audiophile glossary? He invited me and Neilvg to check it out some time. I think I'd like to at least see it in action on my system....

Even if it has as much as an affect as I seemed to notice with the VD Genesis power cord I just dont see myself investing.

Stuff like this is why I hate audiophiles. VD cables with their "big ass magnets" and other stupid shit, then there is Transparent with their carbon fiber boxes full of 1cent parts, Tara Labs with the "vacuum" cables and Siltech, Jena, Nordost and the list goes on and on. Epic facepalm indeed.

I tried to keep an open mind and buy some Chinese cables. They look pretty and sound like dogshit. I am back on Harmonix RCA's to the Raptor (bring on the complaints) and the Stax, and they sound great. Almost as good as the Stealth Indras, which for the price could feed a Darfur settlement for weeks. These fucking prices are out of control.

Sweet Jebus, how expensive a system does one have to own to consider a $6k power supply for your cables??!??

I think it has a lot to do with lack of experience and the common error that paying more will get you something better. Add that to the fact that active cables must be better then passive. :palm: Mikhail can also spin some crazy shit to sell his amps and make people believe all kinds of things.

Btw. Did anybody else notice that the top cap of the tube on the right isn't connected or am I missing something... :rolleyes:

I tried to keep an open mind and buy some Chinese cables. They look pretty and sound like dogshit. I am back on Harmonix RCA's to the Raptor (bring on the complaints) and the Stax, and they sound great. Almost as good as the Stealth Indras, which for the price could feed a Darfur settlement for weeks. These fucking prices are out of control.

Good to bring up the Indra and Stealth cables in general. Very expensive they are but the Indra brings something new to the table, custom made connectors and amorphous wire. It's the best IC I've ever used and I will probably pick up a set to use on the BHSE.

Didn't you know warm air sounds better than cold air.

It's also less dense, so the sound waves have an easier time traveling, and thus aren't so tired out by the time they reach your ears, and who doesn't prefer energetic sound waves to fatigued ones, or something :)

• 4 weeks later...

I really did break my soldering gun the first time I used it :x Its bent at an angle now. Granted, it was cheap... too cheap I guess.

I'll stand to lose about $40 if I do return it, but that isn't too much. I wanted to hear how much of a difference a good XLR would make to my rig, first and foremost.

Could you post a link for the jupiter silver wires anyway? I'll take a look at those, and maybe invest some in a half-decent soldering rig.

Edit:http://www.partsconnexion.com/catalog/wire.html

Hmm, cotton insulated 28AWG solid core silver...