K701 insanity spreading over at head-fi

F1GTR

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I could make special wooden burn in stands. I could make the drivers sit flat against wooden pads, and cut holes in the pads, with a straw mounted between the two. I could call that straw a "cross driver burn in wave guide" or some such nonsensical nomenclature. That should be good for at least $200.00. O0

Maybe I could make special wooden burn in stands. I could make the drivers sit flat against wooden pads, and cut holes in the pads, with a straw mounted between the two. I could call that straw a "cross driver burn in wave guide" or some such nonsensical nomenclature. That should be good for at least $200.00. O0

Dew Eeet! >:D

My experience with the 701 was that, compared to the other pair of headphones I had handy, the 701 maybe changed for a month or so and then it has sounded the same since. I don't know how many hours I used it, but hysteresis on driver construction of this sort isn't particularly surprising nor particularly mystical. Amp burn in, though, is rather voodooish, unexplained, and honestly doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me both based on my experience with electronics generally (and industries reliant upon these parts en masse) and my personal experience with headphone amps. Head-fi is "burn in" crazy and it seems there is little restraint on what people will try to "burn in." Perhaps it's based on some faulty argument from analogy that, since one thing may break in (headphones), it's somehow intuitive that all things will. I also don't care for it being used as a means for certain posters to attempt to downplay the relevance or accuracy of product performance impressions they don't agree with.

This Nenso is Limited Edition, aka deep cryo immersion treated for a week, so you guise need to factor that in. You have to take the stock burn in recommendation hour count and add: [negative temperature (-1)(-330? to about -345? ) multipled by the number of hours immersed (48+ hours)] and then you get your final optimal plateau in the Nenso Burn In Curve. ~85000 hours+

The 7000+ hr Nenso LE was quite upper-mid prominent, somewhat "bright" with "feathered" edges around notes from mids up, a bit edgy and fatiguing all around and lacking in the clean/clear/smooth highs, transparent "window", separation/definition/dimension to instruments, deep/impactful/authoritative bottom end, warmth and more lifelike presentation of the 84000+ hour Nenso LE prototype.

With normal burn in of Nenso LE, the youngling blossoms into a real reference level protable gem. On the 31338th hour, there is a bit cleaner, clearer, more "transparent", has greater impact, more distinct separation/delineation of performers and instruments, and better description of the shape/physical volume/material of instruments.

Only after the extra burn-in hours to compensate the freeze-in side effects of cryo treatment will Nenso LE mature into the tiniest gem that he is capable of being. Upon post-procedural audition, one finds a complicated/textural hint of juniper in the upper mids, as well as a remarkably layered imaging, lucidity through the extended highs, excellent weight&body to instruments, most complete/complex waveforms for the most complete notes (drums sound most like real drums, as do cymbals, wood-bodied instruments, stringed instruments, etc., etc.)

The area of improvement from complete burn-in that is most striking is the erasure of Nenso LE's lack of warm and "body" to vocal throat and chest resonances; it was as if through extensive burn-in, the "boy" matured into a "man."

Maybe he'd sound better with a rewire. We should ask Alex for a quote.

*shivers* :kitty: STAY AWAY! STAY AWAY ALL OF YOU. I WILL NOT HESITATE TO THROW 1/8->1/4 ADAPTORS AND STRANGLE ANYONE WHO COMES ANY CLOSER WITH MY CUSTOM-MADE ALO Male 1/4->2x Female 1/4 SPLITTER! I WARN YOU!

p1010692zi3.jpg

We'd need to beef up the power supply to his brain and rewire his entire nervous system. I'm afraid even Alex couldn't handle that.

I've got steady hands. I will be able to wire it straight into the brain. He should have a few hundred thousand hours of burn in by now. At what point is it burn-out? ;D

-Alex-

*shivers* :kitty: STAY AWAY! STAY AWAY ALL OF YOU. I WILL NOT HESITATE TO THROW 1/8->1/4 ADAPTORS AND STRANGLE ANYONE WHO COMES ANY CLOSER WITH MY CUSTOM-MADE ALO Male 1/4->2x Female 1/4 SPLITTER! I WARN YOU!

p1010692zi3.jpg

wow did you actually pay ALO to make that for you?

must have set you back a pretty penny... how much?