Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

I don't care what it is. It worked. I have zero idea why it shut down in the first place, which bothers me a bit. The only thing I had open on it at work at one point was the a page of live posted updates on the caps-rangers game during the first period on espn. I managed to hang out in a gambling addict's apartment to watch the rest of the game on tv under the guise of making sure he was journaling while watching (stupid fucking therapist who assigned that one, but good for me). I didn't use the phone at all any other time in 10 hours. Anyway, thanks to brent, who doesn't even own an iphone, I'm happy, but nervous that it will just shut down when it's in the mood and I'll have to resort to the naaman method.

Well, rebooting is a little easier -- just hold down the top button for a while (no cradle necessary). Should give you the "slide to confirm" window...circling ellipses for a second or two...and then down. Then hold down the top button for a while again, and it should come up.

I presume you tried that. The point was not correcting you, nor ojnihs (well yeah, but not really), but so that anyone else who was following along at home didn't feel like they had to do all that every time they just wanted to reboot.

It's wireless, has multiple connectivities, and if there's a network burp in mid protocol, could possibly act like any other machine and hang on that -- that's my theory, anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

AARRGGGHHHHH my iphone mic started to act up intermittently about 2 weeks ago and crapped out over the past few days. So I spoke to a fucking genius today at the Apple store and was told the little bugger was submerged in water at some point.

Well I can tell you it was never submerged in water but I can see where the water sensor, the little white spot at the dock section had turned red. It got damp during a hike over a month ago and had no problems for 2 weeks then the mic started acting up.

So instead of a replacement it is $199. I tried using a Shure mic from the headphone jack but no luck. All other functions work fine though.

Any ideas on a place that may be able to repair this or am I just fucked? I've owned alot of cell phones in the past ten years and some have gone for a good swim and always came back to life but the iphone seems to be a bit more sensitive. Billy no hot tub adventures with your iphone.

Edited by jp11801

that sucks, i would just take it to another Apple store and say you where jogging and it never worked again..then again that would be a lie and you would go to hell but you may get a replacement phone.

one of my iphone 3G's that was returned and replaced i guess had water damage, the Genius did not know what happened but said the phone smelled like maple syrup and probably got wet sometime, i looked at him puzzled and said there is noway the phone got wet cause it was with me and i didn't get wet..so he replaced it. i didn't tell him i was washing the Jacuzzi earlier that day but that's a small useless detail..

that's crazy they had a moisture sensor on them, i would use the jogging story really..

Maple syrup? You sick bastard.

Not only maple syrup... maple syrup and a hot tub, sounds like a party.

I had a problem with the battery in my iPhone 3G about 2 months after I bought it. It would charge to full, but once it hit about 80% it brick walled and shut off saying low battery. The genius wasn't sure what caused it and said he'd never seen the issue before but they replaced it without a problem.

Funny you guys are having problems. First mine had a little swim in the toilet and a couple days ago I set it down in a cup holder with about an inch of diet coke and water. It sat there for about two hours. Took it home and washed the bottom off with distilled water, blew it out, and sat it outside to dry. About an hour later it was GTG.

Funny you guys are having problems. First mine had a little swim in the toilet and a couple days ago I set it down in a cup holder with about an inch of diet coke and water. It sat there for about two hours. Took it home and washed the bottom off with distilled water, blew it out, and sat it outside to dry. About an hour later it was GTG.

my situation is pretty weird in that neither the mic nor the in line mic works with my shure IEMs. Logically they are two different entry points so not sure what the issue is, either way it's $199 to be able to take calls all other functions work fine.

JP, I had to take mine in because of a problem with the physical "home" button (there since new) this week and I was told and shown my base moister sensor was red also (though not sure why and headphone jack sensor was fine). Anyway, the guy still fixed because "I said I'd replace before I looked at the sensor." Not sure how often this occurs, but you may try a few stores and give your best sob story and maybe get permission for a repair before someone checks. Course I'm worried about the next time I have a problem.

On the app front, yesterday tried the pretty cool, free Audiobooks app, which is an interface for the 1800 title public read LibriVox library. Pretty cool. Free access to 1800 audiobooks for iPhone