Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

Because they don't care about you. They (and their shareholders) only care about ARPU?

Average revenue per user - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If the iPhone ever does go to another carrier they are going to be rather sad at the level of unhappiness that they have cultivated during their exclusive period. One would think that they'd be doing everything in their power to keep customers satisfied and happy, but I suppose that makes too much sense to be true. I'd guess my next phone won't be an iPhone and I only bought an iPhone when I found a way to do so without having a contract.

In yet another slap in the face by ATT, they are increasing their termination fee from $175 to $325: AT&T to Raise Early Termination Fee for iPhone and Other Smartphones from $175 to $325 - Mac Rumors

This makes sense since ATT has moved up the full upgrade dates on a number of customers in anticipation of the new iPhone.

It may also point to the pending expiration of their exclusive deal with Apple and wanting to make it particularly painful to leave.

As far as I understand it there are a few options that some carriers are offering:

1. USB tethering, you connect your phone to another device (laptop) via a usb cable and the phone serves as the 3G modem for that device.

2. Wireless tethering, same as above, only wireless, still serves only one device.

3. Wireless mobile hotspot. Basically wireless tethering for multiple devices where the phone acts as a 3G modem and router.

The only one that I can see paying for is #3 since it allows you to overuse your data plan, i.e. share it with others not already paying for the service. But if I'm already paying AT&T for data why should it cost more to use it in a different way?

i can see your point here with number three. after doing usb tethering on AT&T for a few days i can see where they think a "unlimited" 5gb limited mobile data plan for computer use to come to $60 a month cause thats what they charge for the laptop 3g service now, so $30 for an iphone and another $30 for use of a laptop would make it line up what other 3g laptop at&T customers pay now. the weird deal now on at&T of course is the ipad's mobile internet but if you want to use a full laptop with flash then you will pay $30 more and have the 5gb limit. if Apple scored a $30 deal with them for ipad i can only hope they scored some deal for iphone customers but we wont know until june on this..

I just installed MyWi (only for jailbroken iPhones) and it works incredibly well as a 3G modem/router. Really cool and only $10, so far very happy with it. Speed is pretty darn good too over 3G, I'm surprised, besides the smallish extra latency (compared to real modem/router) going between things, it's nice.

For battery life I've read things like 2 hours, and that it will drain battery even when charging -- but if you aren't constantly downloading and/or uploading you can leave it on and it will allow a full charge.

Edited by LarsMarkelson

It may also point to the pending expiration of their exclusive deal with Apple and wanting to make it particularly painful to leave.

I'm glad I'm done with those fucking guys. I'll get an unlocked 4G iPhone in South Africa and a per-second prepaid account. Be nice if you could do that here in the land of the free, wouldn't it?

I think you are right about that. I think this makes me more angry at ATT more than anything else. By August I can get out of my contract for all 5 lines for $300 which is tempting but I don't believe Verizon will provide me better service here and theiy're on old tech with cdma. The Andriod phones may be great but from what I'm reading they have their own issues.

Stretch, can you not use your 3GS in South Africa or are you just planning on getting the supposedly-coming-anytime-now new version?

It's locked to AT&T and, currently, there's no unlock for the latest baseband. This will probably come once the new OS is released, but honestly I'd rather have a fully-unlocked 4.0 phone.

Plus all my iPhone are belong to Mr. DIY.

The 4G iPhone: Wal-Mart (WMT) Cuts Price Of Current iPhone 3GS By Half – 24/7 Wall St.

reporting FAIL!

Iphone "4G" as some call it means fourth generation iPhone, not 4g data....

"4G" is not the official name by any means..

someone email this dude and tell him he sucks at his job, or maybe just attach a "orly" owl pic..always loved those

The guy was probably assigned this story way back when and just didn't do shit until the last second and had to whip something out in order to save face. FAIL indeed.

Anyone use Bug Spray? If so, is it effective against mosquitoes?

Bug Spray - Ultrasonic for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

DO NOT USE NEAR OR AROUND INFANTS, SMALL CHILDREN, INDIVIDUALS WHO ARE HEARING IMPAIRED, OR INDIVIDUALS WHO ARE INCAPABLE OF A PHYSICAL RESPONSE TO SOUND. DO NOT USE IN CONJUNCTION WITH ANY SOUND AMPLIFICATION DEVICE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, STEREO SYSTEMS, SPEAKER SYSTEMS, HEADPHONES, OR OTHER SUCH DEVICES OR IMPLEMENTS. DO NOT USE THIS APPLICATION FOR PROLONGED PERIODS OF TIME. DO NOT USE THIS APPLICATION IN DIRECT PROXIMITY TO ANY AUDITORY ORGAN OR EAR OF ANY HUMAN OR ANIMAL.

I decided to check today and so far in 11 of 31 days on my current billing cycle I've used 167MB of data so I would not be able to switch to the less expensive plan. I don't consider myself a heavy data user and honestly, I was surprised to see the total this high.

Even more reason to believe that today's, "And one more thing..." is going to be that the 4G will be the first iPhone available on networks other than AT&T. Everything they've done in the last week, especially given the expiration of the unlimited plans being today, points towards them losing exclusivity. Granted, there could be other reasons for their posturing but it just seems like so much of what they've done is contrary to the we-love-apple mentality that AT&T has had for the last two years that I can't help but hope the days of AT&T-only iPhones are numbered.