Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

While not iPhone related, holy hell Safari 5.0 is fast!!! O0

yes it is but it needs lots of work, Cafe World crashes every time!! still i moved everything and setup all my book marks so hopefully this can be my main browser from now on. after using an Apple Keyboard with Safari 5 on my new pc i might as well just buy a macbook pro for my next laptop... ugh!

So with all this gibberish going on I need help.

Say I want a sexy ipod with mic and cameras etc for bootlegging, upskirting and so forth but the touch is still the same lame thing as the one I already have... will I be able to buy an iphone 4 for the normal (299?) price without a phone contract? I have no need of a phone. Is there some catch I don't know about if I just want to use it as a souped up wi-fi ipod touch? Will everything else work as normal less the phone specific functions?

Never had a iphone, or any cell for that matter so I have no idea what the normal is. Yes, I'm still mobile-less :)

Yes, I'm still mobile-less :)

My god man, how do you breath?

As for the rest I think the $299 is the two year contract price for the phone. You would have to pay significantly more to get one out of contract, most likely from ebay.

As for functionality everything would work except for the phone function.

:)

hehe, closest I ever got to mobile was with a pager back in the day. It's nice being completely untethered. Neither wifey nor me has ever wanted a cell, so we don't. If I'm out, I like to be free from the temptation of the evil devices. I know way too many people who spend every waking hour attached to the damn things, I like my downtime.

An interesting take on the new data plans with some actual data information used to support it.

New iPhone, iPad limits: How far 2 GB will get you - Jun. 4, 2010

My takeaway, "For Netflix subscribers using the new iPad app, 2 GB of data will only get them between six and 12 hours of streaming movies and TV shows, depending on the bit rate Netflix used <snip>". Translation, ok if you're using it at home and can hop on a wifi network, perhaps pretty awful if you're traveling and planning to use 3G streaming to catch a couple TV shows.

I love the email that I got from AT&T last week telling me I can now get AT&T's navigator for just $6.99 a year. Really, voice-guided nav for just $84 a year? I swear the GPS that I bought for $125 total does that, doesn't charge me a fee and has a larger display. I don't know what others have experienced but just tracking a route on Google maps on my phone has been known to kill the battery alarmingly fast. That's not to mention trying to find a way to dock the phone while you're in the car so you can occasionally look at the map.

I love the email that I got from AT&T last week telling me I can now get AT&T's navigator for just $6.99 a year. Really, voice-guided nav for just $84 a year? I swear the GPS that I bought for $125 total does that, doesn't charge me a fee and has a larger display. I don't know what others have experienced but just tracking a route on Google maps on my phone has been known to kill the battery alarmingly fast. That's not to mention trying to find a way to dock the phone while you're in the car so you can occasionally look at the map.

Agreed. That offer made me laugh a lot. And none of the iPhone nav apps seem to do as much as well as the $99 refurbed Garmin I bought. And as you said, without a wired power hookup you're lucky to get an hours use.

The iPhone is damned good at many things but is not the end-all and be-all that many people claim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An interesting take on the new data plans with some actual data information used to support it.

New iPhone, iPad limits: How far 2 GB will get you - Jun. 4, 2010

My takeaway, "For Netflix subscribers using the new iPad app, 2 GB of data will only get them between six and 12 hours of streaming movies and TV shows, depending on the bit rate Netflix used <snip>". Translation, ok if you're using it at home and can hop on a wifi network, perhaps pretty awful if you're traveling and planning to use 3G streaming to catch a couple TV shows.

I was in the AT&T store and the manager told me its an extra $10 for every 1gb you go over the 2gb, so lets figure what a 5gb usb 3g modem thingy and an iphone would of cost you before, $85 ($55 for the usb, $30 for unlimited iphone). now to tether a iphone and have 5gb of data would cost you $75 for both ($25 2gb plan, $20 tether, $30 for extra 3gb). so its $10 cheaper for both a month but you really dont get unlimited on your iphone, and if you dont use 5gb in a month, say only 4gb or 3gb then its even cheaper...not really all that bad if you had a usb modem 3g service and an iphone before...and you dont use lots of data

in 5 days of having the unlimited 3g iPad i used 1.5gb sent/received so far...holy shit...and thats mostly using netflix alone..in only 5 days!!!

how easy is it to jailbreak a ipad? if i could get tethering for laptop needed usage with "true" unlimited this may be sweet as hell.

Agreed. That offer made me laugh a lot. And none of the iPhone nav apps seem to do as much as well as the $99 refurbed Garmin I bought. And as you said, without a wired power hookup you're lucky to get an hours use.

The iPhone is damned good at many things but is not the end-all and be-all that many people claim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my old Nuvi is light years ahead of any app on the iphone, just the touchscreen sucks ass compared the the iphone..actually the nav in my car sucks balls compared to my old Nuvi also..ugh

So, is anyone making their pre-orders tomorrow at 9?

I haven't decided if I will get one yet but I kind of want to get one at Best Buy to use all my reward points. The problem is they told me 30-50 per store so it might be a pain to get one early and I am not a patient man.

So, is anyone making their pre-orders tomorrow at 9?

I haven't decided if I will get one yet but I kind of want to get one at Best Buy to use all my reward points. The problem is they told me 30-50 per store so it might be a pain to get one early and I am not a patient man.

I will be pre-ordering as soon as allowed.

Looks like I'll be pre-ordering a 32GB tomorrow. I've had my original iPhone 16GB sitting in the closet waiting to activate it for my wife but never got around to it (she's not much for smart phones). Now with the new data plans I'll giver her my 3G and add the $15 data plan, upgrade to the 4 and keep my unlimited plan. All of this will be cheaper than an iPad (key selling point).

Looking at eBay the the iPhone 2G 16GB are selling for $200+!! Are people in non-3G areas buying these? I was thinking the going rate would be $75-100.