Ipod Touch / Iphone

n_maher

So radioshack is now an iphone retailer through AT&T. Sales person tells me they offer a trade in for my old 3G for $170, and can upgrade to the 3GS for $30 more at $199. Obviously need to be in your upgrade time, which I tell the person is in February. Sales person says that they are offering promotion and rather than the normal 18 month upgrade timeframe, they are making it at 9 months, which I qualify. So lady goes into system, and nope, still lists february as my upgrade date. She calls ATT, no budge, though they acknowledge the promotion, they can't help me. I call ATT myself, nope, they won't honor it. I get close with the 3rd rep who offers their ATT upgrade advantage program, but alas, they only offer certain phones, no 3GS. My guess is they are saving their 3GS promotion for new customers, and could care less about me who has been with them since the cingular days and took advantage of their 3G $99 promotion.
So they bait you with the temptation to upgrade sooner, and then switch their tone when you try to actually take them up on it? That's not much of a promotion.

So they bait you with the temptation to upgrade sooner, and then switch their tone when you try to actually take them up on it? That's not much of a promotion.

Thank you for acknowledging that, as I thought I was crazy...now I realize ATT are just being punks.

Iphone update question:

On my 3G I still have the old 3.0 OS, is there any reason why I should NOT update it to the newest 3.1? I do have the tethering currently but honestly I don't really use it...

Iphone rant of the week:

So radioshack is now an iphone retailer through AT&T. Sales person tells me they offer a trade in for my old 3G for $170, and can upgrade to the 3GS for $30 more at $199. Obviously need to be in your upgrade time, which I tell the person is in February. Sales person says that they are offering promotion and rather than the normal 18 month upgrade timeframe, they are making it at 9 months, which I qualify. So lady goes into system, and nope, still lists february as my upgrade date. She calls ATT, no budge, though they acknowledge the promotion, they can't help me. I call ATT myself, nope, they won't honor it. I get close with the 3rd rep who offers their ATT upgrade advantage program, but alas, they only offer certain phones, no 3GS. My guess is they are saving their 3GS promotion for new customers, and could care less about me who has been with them since the cingular days and took advantage of their 3G $99 promotion.

Like they said, it's worth more at re-sale if you don't upgrade the OS (at least not to 3.1.3 with the unlockable baseband rev 5.12)

But, you can go to iClarified.com and get the instructions to use PWNageTool 3.15 to jailbreak an OS 3.1.2 package, with links to download both files, and then install that onto the iPhone 3G. This will leave your baseband at 4.26 which can be unlocked to use with other networks (with UltraSn0w as I have read), or let you use tethering (or buy MyWi from Rock your iPhone and make it act like a wifi hotspot); all the while being able to run most apps that refuse to run on less than 3.1 now. I expect that it would be more valuable for resale than letting iTunes take to the the latest OS. You will not be able to take it back to 3.0.x though.

Thanks guys - I actually went ahead and upgraded to the latest OS through Itunes. Two things: 1) I do feel things are running much faster 2) My tethering still works :)

Tethering might disappear the first time you try to use it if you used the official apple update. It often still shows as being a selectable option after the upgrade, but it disappears when you connect.

iTunes question: I hooked up my portable hard drive to load some music onto my iPhone.

Now all those songs are still in my iTunes library with an ! next to them. About 150GB worth.

Any way to automatically refresh the library? Can't iTunes monitor my chosen music folder and update it as things are added/moved/deleted?

This seems like a pretty basic function (my Zune software does this really well).

Or am I just daft?

Love my iPhone. iTunes? .... not so much.

Next generation iPhone unscrewed from Vietnam (update: video!) -- Engadget

Fourth generation iPhone teardown reveals A4 microprocessor -- Engadget

The kids at Taoviet have really outdone themselves. From the looks of these images, the Vietnamese site has nabbed an honest to goodness 4th generation iPhone -- a 16GB model to be exact. It's clearly pre-production judging by the XXX placeholders on the backside stamp and likely lacks a bootable OS, just a "Bonfire" test routine. Nevertheless, it looks authentic enough that we expect Apple's henchmen to be busting down the guy's door before he pries it open to reveal Apple's chipset of choice. A few more pics in the gallery.

Pretty cool, iPhone with iPad CPU. Video does a direct size comparison with presumably the current iPhone and the new one looks considerably sleeker and nicer imo.

that new 4g looks a lot more refined than the last one. The lack of screws makes a difference to me I guess...

I got to see the new version of the iphone os today (the guy at the shop I had my car inspected had it, oddly enough). The multitasking works pretty well, and there's now a zoom on the camera.

I agree Dan, the latest 4G iPhone looks pretty polished and ready for prime time. Rumors have it called the iPhone HD although that would seem to be a bit of a misnomer since even with the reported screen resolution being 960x640 it doesn't match any real HD standard. I'll be watching with interest this summer since I'm not on a contract with anyone for any device right now.

I noticed this a few weeks ago. I bought my 3GS on the day of the launch and will be eligible for full discount upgrade on 6/28/10.

Where do you go to see that information.... I can see upgrade options links in my account, but it doesn't give me any dates.