What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boil them first, then BBQ.

I did try that once with better results (i.e. the meat was cooked through), although the hardcore BBQ book I have (Ron Shewchuk's Barbecue secrets, an excellent book) calls them "cheater ribs"! I'm a fan of the smokey charcoal and hickory flavour, so I'm trying to learn the low and slow methods.

I was trying out an oven recipe so I can make ribs during the winter here in NE.

Winter BBQ is so fun though! I've had good success with charcoal in the winter here in Toronto - gas doesn't work so well as my little Weber Q doesn't give out enough BTU's to grill well.

i haven't done a whole hell of a lot. the department is pretty empty. in all honesty, i don't know why i didn't take this week off.

Me too man... working at a Univ. during Xmas break is damn near useless. All the big issues I need to resolve are via departments with professors. Those folks won't be back for another week or so.

While I wait for my number to enter 30 days on the do-not-call list, I've decided to start having some fun with the 80,000 telemarketers I've been getting between the hours of 5-9pm.

I've got some nice jazz playing that I can have them listen to while they wait for my return (I've been blessed by their elevator music, so its only fair that I make the same effort, right?).

It could get interesting, as I have a bad memory when I put the phone down, so they may be waiting a while I surf headcase and/or watch TV.

Tomorrow I'll start with the casual conversations about my life and everything in it.

That's awesome, except that's good jazz, you need to torture them. Play them some Zorn or something.

There are some great stories on the web of what to say to telemarketers -- yes, far beyond, 'can I call you back at your dinner time'. Things like:

"oh thank god you called, I was about to kill myself"

"I'm kind of busy right now, can I call you back...hey, you might know, do you think I clip the red wire or the blue wire?"

"whatever you're selling -- can I pay for it in food stamps? If so, I might be interested"

"do you have to get up in the middle of the night to pee? Frequently?"

I intended to go to the office today but I woke up at 5 coughing and couldn't sleep for awhile. Apparently, I turned off the alarm and slept to 10:30. Slept even more after that and haven't really gotten out of bed all day. I have been fighting a cold and now have lost. My daughter brought me some fresh baguette that she baked, and my son just brought me his Macbook with Bridge on the River Kwai cued up for me to watch. Nice kids.

Edited by Voltron

:D

Yeah, sadly I'm pretty sure the T40RP is just the T50RP but with no vents. So more resonance/closed, and worse sounding than the T40v1, at least in its current state.

In case you are curious I just applied some standard-ish mods: Adhesive putty on the backs of the cups, and a sheet of felt on top of that, as well as on the weird protrusion in the middle. Then I put on a tiny double-sided piece of tape on the backs of the drivers as reflex dots and to hold a piece of felt damping on. For the T40RP I also ripped off the stock white paper damping which looked like it was peeling off anyway.

I burned my middle finger trying to solder up a cable for the HE-5s for only very minor benefit to the already great sound they have. Soldering during the brief moments I could have my finger off the ice before the pain kicked back in hard was unpleasant. Bepanthen cream for the win in these situations.

I was masochistic enough to attempt shopping both at the local supermarket and at Costoco, both of which were not only packed with shoppers, but their kids who were off school too. Plenty of walking and stimulation for mum and the little-one though.

that sucks. i once grabbed a soldering iron that i really thought was cool (i had forgotten to unplug it, and it was a type that didn't have the safety led). that taught me to always grab a soldering iron by the handle, regardless of whether i was sure it was cold or not. the painful lessons are the ones you remember, i think.

In the words of Top Gear

What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

clarkson_ss.jpg

What Could Possibly Go Wrong - Television Tropes & Idioms