What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God I hate moving.

This may be one of the "Universal Truths."

What I hate is how your hands hurt from heaving so much shit around.

So the great reward for the move is to sit on the sofa with your palms throbbing

looking at all the boxes of shit without knowing where it's all gonna go.

Have a nice day, Stephan. Sorry. It'll all be over ... at some point.

It'll all be worth it in the end, Stephen. When's the move date?

We close on may 13, rent back to them for two days and can move in starting on the 16th. Fortunately our current lease runs until the end of May so we can move in slowly over two weeks. We've never done that before, so I don't know if that's a good thing not. We're planning on moving small thing (boxes and so forth) during the week and getting a van and some friends the next weekend to move furniture and so forth.

The one thing I love about moving is the purging. Getting rid of all that crap that frankly, we don't need, don't use and are just carting around. As I get older I despise "things" more and more. I want to live in my spaces, not have to store crap in them and live around those things. So moving is a great way to consolidate (at least it has been for us, and we've moved a few times in the 9 years we've been together).

So the great reward for the move is to sit on the sofa with your palms throbbing

Have a nice day, Stephan. Sorry. It'll all be over ... at some point.

Yeppers. On top of that, I've got a bit of the tendinitis in my right hand. So that sucks too. Hopefully moving slowly will be what helps. We'll see.

Abi's awake now. Time to introduce her to some Sonny Rollins this morning :)

We close on may 13, rent back to them for two days and can move in starting on the 16th. Fortunately our current lease runs until the end of May so we can move in slowly over two weeks. We've never done that before, so I don't know if that's a good thing not. We're planning on moving small thing (boxes and so forth) during the week and getting a van and some friends the next weekend to move furniture and so forth.
It's both a blessing and a curse to have the extra time. On the one hand it'll make things less stressful than trying to get it all done in a weekend or whatever but on the other hand it'll draw the process out and make it seem like more of a burden. At least that was my experience. My advice would be to give yourself no more than a week to do the move, that's what we did and it seemed to drag it out long enough. Also, if you have any plans of painting rooms or anything like that do it before you move anything in.

Congrats regardless and just keep in mind that it'll be over soon enough and that you'll quickly forget how much of a pain in the ass it is/was.

Good luck on the apartment search, Colin. All the cheap, burned out (literally) neighborhoods I used to live in are now for millionaires. Why I didn't, like all my smart friends, homestead a building back in those days is beyond me. One of my life's very few regrets.

I'm keeping both phones because I'm lazy and I can. I have a Blackjack for my work phone, but may just switch that out to my iphone since we use AT&T, or I may just keep a backup phone.

Picked up my travel trailer from where it is stored and took it to our season lease site. May have been my most epic fail in backing the trailer into the site. I don't recall having that much difficulty even when I was new to parking trailers in campgrounds.

Got a call from our youngest daughter who is currently in the emergency room with sharp pain in her abdomen. Her husband is there with her (but the ass made her call us). Waiting to hear what the diagnosis is.

Waiting to hear what the diagnosis is.

She seems to check out fine. Ruled out all major causes and ER is chalking it up to "stomach flu". Hope they're right. This time my son-in-law decided he could call. So she is back home and resting.

Good luck on the apartment search, Colin. All the cheap, burned out (literally) neighborhoods I used to live in are now for millionaires. Why I didn't, like all my smart friends, homestead a building back in those days is beyond me. One of my life's very few regrets.

I'm keeping both phones because I'm lazy and I can. I have a Blackjack for my work phone, but may just switch that out to my iphone since we use AT&T, or I may just keep a backup phone.

Are you turning into Brent, Vicki? 3 phones?

I THINK I have a place nailed down. Everything yesterday sucked, today started out acceptable and just got better. I really like the place, don't love the area but it is acceptable, and the commute should be exceptional (walk one block, 10 minute train ride, walk 3 blocks, and I am at work in midtown). Easy to get to places I want to be. Place is a railroad in Jersey City Heights, I can be in West Hoboken in 5 minutes (walk three blocks, take an elevator down the cliff, which also puts me on NJ light rail). Place also seems quite at night, more of a working class neighborhood than hip young area, but the apartment is nice. Enter into a largish eat in kitchen, bathroom off that, then first room is large (gonna be bedroom+diy room), walk past a decent size walkin closet, and through to the living room, which is not bad at all. I should be quite comfy. Estimate 800sf. Oh, and it has fios.

I would have liked to be in Hoboken, but the only places I was able to see and afford were either tiny and really over my budget, or a heap. Like, speakers falling over because the floor is so angled, and scared to walk barefoot heap. Smaller too. Commute in Hoboken would have been a bit longer too, PATH to 33rd then walk a dozen blocks, but definitely a nicer, trendier area.

I'm onna bus!

Edited by cetoole

I have boxes of shit I still don't know where to put and it has been 4 years...

I'm with thrice on purging. I need to move just for this alone. I get around it by re-arranging rooms every so often and getting rid of some crap.