What did you do today?

riceboy

Nice, Ken.

Oh, and about my fucking frugging foul language, I lost the bet, but I'm still going to try to clean things up. It bugs me. I think rude, abrasive, foul, colorful, offensive, and downright nasty language is not only important, but wonderful. I also think it loses it's value as a communication tool when it becomes a verbal tic.

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice, Ken.

Oh, and about my fucking frugging foul language, I lost the bet, but I'm still going to try to clean things up. It bugs me. I think rude, abrasive, foul, colorful, offensive, and downright nasty language is not only important, but wonderful. I also think it loses it's value as a communication tool when it becomes a verbal tic.

It's a rich part of European language culture, which we shoud embrace, celebrate and frequently use. Try dipping into Chaucer, or Rabelais' "Gargantua" (where whole chapters are devoted to foul and offensive insults) for fine exceptionally rude literature from 14th - 16th centuries.

Trying my best not to get angry or annoyed at people. Items were turned into me for review/edit and when I went to see folks responsible for some questions, I was told the said items are actually not done/ready. Why did they turn them in if they're not done/ready, I've no idea.

i always preferred Bakhtin's analysis to actually reading Rebelais.

Yeah - Gargantua is pretty tough going. It is a long time since I read it, and never tried Bakhtin's book on Rabelais - maybe I ought to re-read it and then follow it up with Bakhtin. When next I feel in the mood for a little light reading :laugh:

I guess you are too far back from the river Colin but there was a very large firework show that ended about 5 minutes ago and there were probably be another tomorrow and more every weekend for the rest of the Summer.

I guess you are too far back from the river Colin but there was a very large firework show that ended about 5 minutes ago and there were probably be another tomorrow and more every weekend for the rest of the Summer.

Could you see the first batch from your place, Jeff?