TPA Buffalo impressions

swt61

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

swt61: when are you scheduled to have yours up and going?

Not anytime real soon. I believe naamanf is going to try to secure a kit from TPA with this latest availability. But we're waiting on the Femto as well. It will be incorporated into the DAC to control volume, switching and time travel.

Right now it's just an issue of time, really. Lily hasn't been sleeping all that well which has severely limited the amount of time I have for projects at night. As it is I'm running well behind on a couple of builds, make that 4 builds. Adding to that backlog is unappealing and not something I'd expect someone else to want to put up with either.

I'm in the process of formulating a plan right now for a complete TP DAC when all the goodies become available. I probably offer my services for building some in a similar fashion as I did for the B22s I built.

I want one too (also tentatively). Assuming that PFKMan23 still lives in Saratoga, we might even be able to combine the shipping. :P

I'm in the process of formulating a plan right now for a complete TP DAC when all the goodies become available. I probably offer my services for building some in a similar fashion as I did for the B22s I built.

Well I can speak first hand about your skills and abilities in repairing and improving a RAM modded/damaged dysfunctional DAC. I am interested if there are any spots left.

I will have to be sending all my stuff home in the next month or so. So I was thinking I could loan the Buffalo out while I am transitioning from here to home. Each person that wanted to give it a listen could try it for a couple days and then send it on to the next person. It's in a beat up Par-Metal case so I won't be too worried about it getting roughed up moving around. It would most likely be set up for either USB or SPDIF. If I feel motivated I might put a selector on it for switched between the two. If you guys are interested let me know and we can come up with a plan.

How much does it cost to build one? I'd be interested if the price is within my budget.

I finished mine today. Total cost of everything except for some very minor expenses was ~AU$770, or ~US$627 at current exchange rates.

buffaloka7.jpg

At a glance.....

Double fused, filtered, DPDT switched IEC inlet

OTTO switching coax and optical inputs

LEDs switch with inputs

Buffalo with switch 3 set low

IVY built exactly as supplied

Two transformers, 15VA 2x0-15V and 30VA 2x0-12V

LCDPS at +7.5x2 for Buffalo

LCBPS at +7.5 for OTTO and TOSLINK

LCBPS at

How does it sound?

It sounds pretty bloody fantastic. But then I don't really have any high end sources to compare it to, and I may be suffering from a severe case of DIY pride.

In any case, I am quite certain that this and my MMM are capable of much more than my modest AD900s are letting on.

How about your configuration?

I am thinking in the 1K range. I would like to make one with the 4 input MUX so you have USB/SPDIF/TOSLINK/AES as inputs. Use the upcoming discrete I/V stage. Also use the new contorler which will allow I/O control/volume/remote and use a VFD display. I also have a couple other ideas but I will have to see about what other functions the new controler will have.

If it isn't to crazy expensive and I have enough interest I would like to do it all in a Hifi-2000 case with panels also done by HF-2000. FPE is okay but there is a limit of what you can do.

It's all just in my head right now.