Deals

Dusty Chalk

I've dug a bit deeper. It appears as if Sears is now advertising for 3rd parties like Amazon does. The seller is "The electronics limited" and they have zero seller feedback. They have three items for sale. A Nikon D3x for $5500, which is not as absurd a discount as their 5DII price, but is still low enough to be suspect. They also have an unlocked iPhone for $680, which I am lead to believe is about right. Expensive DSLRs and iPhones are popular items for scammers to "sell." There is no phone # to call, but there's a "click to call" popup where you enter your phone # and they call you. The whole thing reeks TBH.

SlickDeals has a thread about this:

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Digital SLR Camera with Canon EF 24-105mm IS lens at Sears.com $1400 - SlickDeals.net Forums

Googling the seller's email address yields this: Kempton OnlineDIY

/me sings Scam scam scam scam scammmity SCAAAM.

Kino silents on sale. Silent Films Now on Sale at DeepDiscount.com!

If you're brave pick up the Murnau box set. Maybe one of cinemas five greatest directors. Maybe greatest.

Murnau [6 Discs] More info here: Murnau (6-DVD Thinpak Box Set) DVD - Kino on Video

murnau.jpg

EDIT: Somehow I missed the Lubitsch box set.

http://www.deepdiscount.com/silent-films-now-on-sale/lubitsch-in-berlin-7-film-collecti/

Edited by blessingx

Haven't seen The Last Laugh, but I'd put Sunrise and City Girl above Nosferatu or Faust. Sorry didn't mean to imply this collection demonstrated his standing in my eyes, but to majority of the world who equate silents to Chaplin/Keaton, thought even lesser Murnau was an important exploration. And the Murnau, Borzage and Fox box set is still $200. ;) The older I get, and the less I want cinema to be simply visual literature, the more I wish talkies had held off another decade to allow silents to explore more before disappearing. The language was still being formed.

Anyway, I put my money where my mouth is. Murnau, Lubitsch and the Gaumont Treasures box sets purchased.

I had a longer post that Chrome decided to eat, but I agree judging by what film became, silents are but a precursor. We'll never know what cinema could have become if allowed to mature a bit further before another step in realism, and away from visuals and live musical accompaniment, synchronized sound appeared. We talk all the time about the differences between black and white and color films (and actors and themes - maybe even genres by todays standards - that excelled at each) and that migration was minor compared to this jump. What most [narrative] films became may be thought of as natural - visualize lit - and certainly many flicks pointed that way even earlier, but I'm not sure all of even popular cinema had to take that route. I had a film instructor decades ago say there was nothing film had inherently more in common with lit than it did with painting. Often I wonder if gaming will be the same effect on cinema photography had on painting. Anyway, still can't think of another medium so dependent on others. The ease of the statement 'the book is better' as applied to film and not regularly opera or the theater, may point to a corruption in this path. Even the slack we give singers who don't write their own songs rarely gets applied to directors/screenwriters who only adapt (Scorsese?). Not sure why. Certainly, some directors fought to continue to make silents after talkies appeared and I doubt all their cases were based on the inability to transition. In some cases the 'art versus entertainment' line was tossed out (as echoed later in the B/W-color debate). I may be bias in this area as few of my favorite films are based on literature (poetry, novels written for the screenplay or very skeletal based exempted), but the last few years its felt like silents hint towards an alternative language I was previously unaware of. I don't want to get too corny here, but a ton of later films, from 2001 to Elephant, may hint at this also. On the other side of things and on my cynical days, I suspect half of all current films don't even have to be watched. Just multitask while listening.

Edited by blessingx

I think Clarke referred to an acorn/tree relationship so doubt many would call it based in the traditional sense. Certainly the novel was written expressly with the resulting film in mind. And I hope my negativity didn't imply I thought human creativity was bound to a single medium. I just believe in supporting a mediums strengths. I suspect many who are worried about music videos influence on music or films influence on recent Broadway may feel the same. Nothing wrong with looking outside for inspiration, but may be if the new medium is subservient to the old source.

Thanks for the tip Deepak. Gotta pick that up too. By coincidence, I am at City Beer lamenting having missed DFH Bitches Brew on tap, but making up for it with several bottles with their awesome [record] labels.
If it's any consolation, that's one of the few beers I've preferred out of the bottle. And I only had it once on tap, though I went out of my way to do so.