Which beer to get?

guzziguy

A local wine store that opened a couple of months ago is exit the beer part of their business. Here is a snippet from a recent email:

That means Firestone brews for $3.49 a sixer while they last...

Redhook ESB for $4.50.

It'll be a mere $4.25 for a six pack of Sierra Nevada.

We've got everything from exotic Belgians to California craft brews available. Come on down, check it out, take advantage of this incredible one time sale.

I don't know Belgian beers at all. Please recommend some things I should look out for.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rogue is my personal favorite. Dead Guy for a nice (relatively) light ale; Mocha Porter or Shakespeare Stout for something more...wintery...they have a little more heft. I think of them as the "chocolate" and "Tootsie Roll" of the beer world.

PS This does not fall under the "Belgian exotic" category.

affligem tripel

Westmalle trippel

der koenigs hoeven quadruppel

unibroue 16

ommegang three philosophers

i forget the brand french farmhouse ale (750ml bottle, nice impressionist painting of a french farm on the label)

but I have a thing for smooth belgian style ales :)

if you give me more on what oyu like so far, I can make other recommendations :)

Which raises the question, what will you be bringing to CanJam 08.5, The NorCal Summer Meet? I think JP, Justin, et Al (hows that for a latin pun? :)) Have just found their new liquid refreshment provider for the meet.

I have the same problem as JP. I'd buy the beer for the meet, but then you'd never know how much would actually arrive come meet time. ;)

oh, and for summer beer drinking when it's hot, hoegaarden

Every time I see this name, an entirely different picture pops into my mind. Bad Ken! :palm:

I have the same problem as JP. I'd buy the beer for the meet, but then you'd never know how much would actually arrive come meet time. ;)

Every time I see this name, an entirely different picture pops into my mind. Bad Ken! :palm:

I'm telling Longoria about your posts, you traitor. :)

I'm telling Longoria about your posts, you traitor. :)

Even worse, we joined Foley's wine club yesterday. Their wine is fairly good now and can't wait to see what Kris does with it in the next couple of years. One good thing about the club membership is that it also allows us to taste for free at other Foley-owned wineries (Lincourt, Firestone and another that I can't remember).

Longoria won't be unhappy. I bought 6 bottles of the 2005 Fe Ciega two weeks ago. The 2006 is excellent too.

Another thing. Stacy and I found a wine bar/store in Solvang where one can buy 2005 Wedell Hillside Reserve. The best thing is that the price is only $135/btl. :eek:

You're not the only one -- I laugh every time I see that name, too.

There's:

Garden of Shadows

Torture Garden

Garden of Earthly Delights

...and, of course, Hoegaarten, which is German for Ho-Garden.

And now, for my next translation, Die Frau ohne Schatten -- the woman who hasn't had her shots.

Even worse, we joined Foley's wine club yesterday. Their wine is fairly good now and can't wait to see what Kris does with it in the next couple of years. One good thing about the club membership is that it also allows us to taste for free at other Foley-owned wineries (Lincourt, Firestone and another that I can't remember).

Longoria won't be unhappy. I bought 6 bottles of the 2005 Fe Ciega two weeks ago. The 2006 is excellent too.

Another thing. Stacy and I found a wine bar/store in Solvang where one can buy 2005 Wedell Hillside Reserve. The best thing is that the price is only $135/btl. :eek:

Well actually that is only a few bucks above the stated retail price for the Hilside Reserve. You should buy six at that price.

Rogue is my personal favorite. Dead Guy for a nice (relatively) light ale; Mocha Porter or Shakespeare Stout for something more...wintery...they have a little more heft. I think of them as the "chocolate" and "Tootsie Roll" of the beer world.

PS This does not fall under the "Belgian exotic" category.

X2. I do like Rogue as well as the Mocha Porter or Shakespeare Stout. Great stuff. Of course I like Guinness as well.

I also enjoy Mississippi Mud too.

Dusty==win.

I would like to add brutal bitter to the list.

And let us not forget DFH: 90min, aprihop.

I just came back from buying beer. I didn't go too wild as my wife doesn't like beer so we mostly drink wine. The beers were already picked over and there wasn't much of what people recommended. All the beer was 1/2 off. I got:

6 Hoegaarden $4.75

6 Rogue Dead Guy (microbrew from OH) $4.75

4 Duvel Belgian Golden Ale $6.50

4 Unibroue Maudite (no 16) $6.00

So with CRV and tax, the grand total was $24.18 for these beers. I may buy another 6 pack of Hoegaarden tomorrow.

anything you can get your hands on from the Victory Brewing Co. is likely going to be very good to excellent. and what, they don't carry any Russian River? --probably not as it's extremely limited in its distribution and as far as i know only, generally speaking, bottle damnation.