The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

Yeah I am mostly just trying out the Sigma to see if I can live with it instead of spending double for the Canon 85 f1.2. I have heard good things about the Canon 85 f1.8 but have never actually tried one out.

I want to sell my 85 1.8 to get a 100 2.8 macro. You can try mine if you'd like. =]

I love my 85 1.8 - it is my favorite lens. I love it so much that I'm afraid of trying out its brother, lest I'd be forced to save up for one.

I had use of an 85L II for five days last year. My best advice with regard do that lens is this: Don't try it if you don't want to buy it. As the saying goes "A luxury, once sampled, become a necessity." Longtime readers of this thread might ave seen some of these images before:

3992366620_9a1146349c_b.jpg

4014779745_45c01e7379_b.jpg

4016327243_f09cb56685_b.jpg

4028221695_e72e15efff_b.jpg

3988772314_ae10ee695a_b.jpg

The 85L has a number of downsides besides cost. It's gigantic, massively heavy, and both its objective and rear elements are huge and very vulnerable. Were I to shoot with it all the time, I'd invest in a battery grip (seriously the 85L's AF motor sucks juice like no tomorrow) and an UpStrap. The weight does have one odd bonus. It makes the camera so dense, I was able to hold it for 1/13th of a second and get a surprising number of keepers, like this one:

4016351029_a471b01f3b_b.jpg

F/1.2, 1/13th (ya rly), ISO1600. It was stupidly dark inside the nightclub.

yeah, it really doesn't look like that much. all the surgery was done endoscopically. keep in mind that the broken leg is 25% larger than my good leg, due to swelling. they were surprised that it was as swollen as it was until i told them about my attempts at making it swell (through hopping around my apartment, i didn't hit it with a hammer or anything) so that my cast fit again. they then understood, though i don't think they necessarily approved from a medical standpoint. ;) in four weeks i get a new set of x-rays, and i'll be getting a digital copy. i'll post them, if you're interested. i'm going to ask for the originals, as well.

Sure, scientific pics also belong to this thread ;D I'd like to see what they did on your bones and how the fracture lines looked. Before becoming an ENT resident I was for 3 years, while at college, a traumatology intern. Got "some experience" handling fractures, plaster of Paris and all that stuff.

Looks like you are getting on OK with that Sigma 85, eh Jeff? No AF issues on the 5D classic?

x2

If it weren't for the AF issues on Sigmas with Canons, I'd be really tempted. As it is, I'm not willing to go through multiple copies and/or multiple factory calibrations to get a usable copy.

Via Tapatalk

Beautiful! I was desperately hoping to get out last night with my new tripod, but it was pissing down with rain :(

Thanks. We got lucky with the weather this time other than it being damn cold. At least it was a dry cold and I didn't get any fogging on my 150-500 Sigma. Not a great lens but pretty good and the longest I own and up to this task.

Winter Solstice Full Lunar Eclipse

5280293494_d069ddbd0c_b.jpg

Took this last night.... turned out better than I'd hoped having to shoot 1600 iso on a D200. It's times like these I wish I had the newest generation of cameras but they are very rare times indeed.

Nice! I really would have liked the opportunity as well, but no clear skies anywhere nearby last night. About 18in of rain here in the last five days, and 8-10 feet of snow further up the hill. More to come tomorrow, and it's been even worse in SoCal!

I'm quite surprised you say that about Velvia 50, since I must have read dozens of people say the skin turns reddish. Guess I'll have to try some.

It depends on the lighting and how the film is exposed. If you're shooting when the sun's starting to get low in the sky then yeah, skintones will go reddish. And god help you if you underexpose. The key to shooting people with Velvia 50 is to do it when the sun's high in the sky and to overexpose the film a tiny bit, you'll lose a bit of saturation but Velvia has a ton to spare so it's not a big deal. It's still not the greatest film for portraits since the high contrast can lead to harsh shadows if the light's not perfect.

This still leaves me with no choice for a good general purpose print film, mostly people shots (I don't enjoy overly soft rendering, though), with occasional nature/landscape... Going to order soon, possibly Kodak Portra 160 VC, Fuji Reala 100, Fuji Superia 400 (for indoors).

Kodak Ektar 100 works pretty well for me as a general purpose film. The one downside is there's a fair bit of colour shift depending on the exposure, treat it as a slide film where you have to nail the exposure dead on or things can get real wonky, it's not like regular negative films where you can be off by a full stop with minimal effects.

A few Ektar 100 shots, developed & printed at the local supermarket.

ektar1b.jpg

ektar3.jpg

ektar2.jpg

Those photo's look great. Did you scan them yourself or went to?

At any rate, I must have lost my mind because I just won a Canon EOS-1V HS on eBay. I did it because the parts I needed for EOS-3 were so expensive elsewhere, especially the Ni-MH battery charger and the battery itself, not to mention the stock grip I wanted for travel/portable use. I found an EOS-1V HS where the charger, extra batteries, stock grip, etc were included.

Truth be told, I will likely sell off the EOS-1V HS with power grip, since this seems to be more popular and able to fetch more $$ on eBay than EOS-3. I just hope I don't get attached to it and decided to keep both... BTW, the seller is going to include some Fuji Provia 100F rolls, which would be nice. I also ordered some Fuji Superia 400 and Fuji Reala 100.

eos1vhs.jpg

You bum! *I* want an EOS-1V! ...uhh, by that I mean "congratulations, you now have the best EF mount film body Canon ever made." ;D I have not purchased one because they command too much on the used market. My next film body will be an EOS 1N or EOS3.

Hey Aerius, you have any scans of your Velvia 50 shots?

You bum! *I* want an EOS-1V! ...uhh, by that I mean "congratulations, you now have the best EF mount film body Canon ever made." ;D I have not purchased one because they command too much on the used market. My next film body will be an EOS 1N or EOS3.

And someone just offered me a Elan 7N for $30. Kind of tempting as a light, travel body. Is 7N much smaller/lighter than 1v/3 (without power grip)? I've gotten good deals on the 1V HS and EOS-3, as they together cost me less than my T2i :)

As far as 1v HS vs. 3, I had read people compare them and basically say there's no advantage as far as image quality, 1v has better build/seal, and 3 has advantage of the whole eye focus thing, and faster frame per second IF used without power grip.

Those photo's look great. Did you scan them yourself or went to?

Thanks! I scanned the prints myself and did a bit of editing to make the scans look like the prints. My 10 year old scanner makes everything too green.

Yup. I think I posted a couple somewhere in this thread but I can't find them right now so I'll just put'em all back up again.

Img_018.jpgImg_004.jpg

Img_002.jpg