The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

I hate to be a party pooper, but I'm seeing a fair amount of CA in that shot, even at the resolution presented. Rummaging around on your site, it looks like you shot wide open (F/1.4) 1/15th, ISO320. I suggest stopping down, bumping up the ISO and/or getting a tripod. Certainly, you can push an original 5D to ISO800 with no sweat.

You can push a 5D to 3200 with no problem, I just did not a lot of effort into it as it was a snap shot as I walked to the front door.

It was actually on the Gitzo I just shot about 10 at different settings to so if anything came out well enough for my dad to send it out as an E-mail to his farmer want-to-be friends/family.

Edited by VPI

I carry the ThinkTank bag with some body, lenses, flash and iPad pretty much everywhere. Now that I got these little mirrorless camas for xmas I might start carrying a bit less.

The pic of the train coming out of the covered bridge was at 2.8, everything else is wide open. I do not believe I have shot anything but wide open or close to wide open since getting the lens.

I want an S95 ...so I can convert it to infrared. evilgrin0023.gif

My 30D provides me with little joy, but Canon has yet to make a camera that I want enough to pay for it. Likewise, Nikon hasn't quite lured me to jump ship to their system, either. If the D700S ever materializes, I just might do it. Fortunately for me, Nikon are the kings of heel dragging. On the other hand, I've been carefully studying film bodies. Not 35mm, either. I'd like a medium format rangefinger. A Mamiya 6 or 7 would do nicely. Such things do not come cheaply.

To wit:

Body + "kit lens": $3700

50mm wide angle: $2323

The 43mm super wide angle lens is cooler, but it requires an external finder, which is a PITA.

150mm portrait lens: $1800

I could save myself a little bit by buying the M7II as a body only. The 80mm is the least interesting lens for the system, and it adds over $1300 to the cost. Obviously, used prices are lower on all this gear. Not as much lower as one might imagine. It's a buyers market for 35mm film bodies, but medium and large format have not been so swept by the digital tide. In the medium format world, this is particularly true for the Mamiya rangefinders. They are much smaller, lighter and easier to carry around than tanklike Hasselblads. With the 50mm or 43mm, the 7 is less cumbersome than many DSLRs.

Adorama has an older Mamiya 7 Mk I used for $750 and a couple used 150 and 80mm lenses. No used wide angles, though. Again, this is for a reason. The larger the film format, the better it lends itself to wide angle shots, and the more landscape photographers like it. Ansel Adams lugged around an 8x10" camera the size of a microwave.

Of course, then I'd need a substantial amount of infrastructure to develop, print and scan my exposures. The total cost of which would buy a decent used car. Expensive stuff, indeed. I really like the idea of a camera system that excels with the use of only two lenses, and isn't going to get much more obsolete in one year or ten than it is now.

^ I want a S95 after toting around 50D at family Christmas gathering.

I'm still hoping for an EVIL from Canon with EF/EF-S mount along with a nice, fast pancake.

I ordered an adapter for the Sony Nex 5 and the Olympia EP2. Not quite as nice as a Canon system with AF but it will do until they come out with an EVIL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep us posted how you like the NEX5 and EP2. While I was really disappointed with the direction Panasonic took in regards to GF2, I still may pick up a GF1 w/ the 20mm pancake if the price continue to come down.

EDIT - I also wish both Sony and Micro 4/3 systems had better lens selection/support (along with external flashes). I know they both can use their older lenses but doing that kills the big advantage of the system: size.

Edited by Salt Peanuts