RS1's?

Chekhonte

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never heard a true brown headband/wood box RS-1. However, at one point I owned a serial numberless dark wood black headband RS-1, a newer serial number buttoned RS-1, and a buttonless RS-1, and I detected little to no difference between them.

The wood box is neat though.

I've never heard a true brown headband/wood box RS-1.

I recently heard a recabled one briefly with my Pico, I'm not sure if my tastes have changed since I sold my black headband sans serial number version or if it just didn't pair well with the Pico or possibly the recable but to be honest I was rather disappointed.

wow, so many opinions. I guess that does mean that I should audition them. I'm going back to champaign IL to visit family this week and I know they have a store there that sells grado headphones. Last time i went there 4 years ago they didn't carry the RS1 but that might have changed by now. I may go up to chicago too and there must be a place that has them there.

EDIT: one things that's nice about buying used is that you're only out the cost of shipping.

I've owned, and sold, HP-1, HP-2, PS-1, MS-Pro, SR-325, HF-1, SR-200, and GS-1000. The RS-1 appears to be the sweet spot in the Grado line for me. The only Grado's I still own are a single-ended and a balanced RS-1 (oh, and an iGrado). That said, I think the first RS-1 I bought sounded awful. It was new-in-box, and I returned it. For me, the key to the RS-1 is flat pads, particularly running single-ended. Balanced, the bowl pads can be used.

Time can change tastes. There was a period when I swore by the HP-1000 series. Now, I can take them or leave them. At current pricing, I can simply leave them.

The RS-1 has proven to be a keeper in the long haul. There are only three other headphones I can say that about: HD-600, K-1000, and R10. (I've only been using electrostatic cans for about 3-4 years or so, and it will be a couple more years before I can consider any of them to be long-term keepers.)

For what it's worth, I have the newer version RS-1. Out of the box, they were kind of harsh and thin sounding. Running them overnight with dangerously high-volume pink noise (afraid of blowing the drivers) transformed them into more relaxed full sounding can with less harshness. Just like I could hear the drivers had softened. I never heard the vintage RS-1's though so I can not comment on differences.

I had a legit offer of 2k for my vintage pair from someone overseas & turned it down.The buyer found a pair after that & I believe he paid less,then later sold them.The buyer had to have them & was willing to go that high with out even ever hearing a pair.

While most would have jumped at that offer,I thought it was over the top myself.I have owned them since 1995 & just couldn't sell them.

Don't think I didn't think about it.Call me crazy or whatever but in the end I still own them.

I didn't notice it before but larryminator's add for his over priced rs-1's has been up for 2 months now. I hope his dogged persistence isn't rewarded.

I think vintage RS1 prices are crazy in general, but that dinged up cable should lower the price significantly. Makes you wonder what the can has been through.

I definitely think that my balanced brown leather pair are the best sounding RS1s -- to my ears -- that I have heard. JP#s (their former owner) and foo_me and others apparently compared the brown leather to his black no-serial-no. pair and felt the same way. I did pay him a lot for them, iirc.

I share the frustration. I've been contemplating a RS-1 myself but can't seem to get there. The info in this thread has been helpful. I considered the HF-1 as a lower cost alternative but the price on them has gone up and I find it difficult to hand that money out for them when a used RS-1 is only a bit more.

So in regards to serials, when did Grado start using them? Do the RS-1 sound that different from an MS-Pro? I like classical and acoustic guitar and what I've heard hear sounds like they may not be the best choice for those types of music. I can't audition them either as the only place that did carry any would only do the SR125 and SR225 and is now closed up. Any recommendations?

hmmm....wondering if i should get a backup pair...

plus a having that wood box would be nice :)

Damn that price is quite good. I don't think you'll regret it since they seem to be getting shittier and shittier. Take a page out of my book ;p

Also then maybe you can balance a pair worry free :)

I'm going back to champaign IL to visit family this week

Ah, Champaign in August. I've got six years of memories from there when I was in grad school. Particularly of note was the smell when a wind from the south came in over the experimental pig farms in summer...an experience that still causes me to shudder.:P

Ah, Champaign in August. I've got six years of memories from there when I was in grad school. Particularly of note was the smell when a wind from the south came in over the experimental pig farms in summer...an experience that still causes me to shudder.:P

I did not know you went to UI. When were you there? I also remember the smell and it is still there (at least it was last week).