PS-1s for sale on the 'Bay

Knuckledragger

I see. Funnily enough I didn't perceive the DB like funny at all. The DX-1000 are way funnier for instance.

I had the same evolution as you about Grado. I never listened to any current production model that interested me in the least (I have to listen the GS-1000 yet), but once I knew PS-1 and HP2 I had to change my mind. It's quite surprising PS-1 are John's design. Maybe his uncle helped?

I don't know the specifics about the history. I assumed that Joe made the PS-1 too. They sound so different from the rest of the John Grado headphones that I'm guessing either Joe helped and/or John got lots of input from the German distributors, who requested the PS-1.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for correcting the uncle mistake on the quote. It wasn't a typo :palm:

I don't know either, but it's quite likely the german distributor had something to say about the result and gave some directions. Be as it may, definitely the PS-1 don't have the same John Grado sound of other models.

You're welcome. No need for a palmface at all. Your English is much better than my Spanish, or my French for that matter. When I lived in France, I wanted people to correct me when I made a mistake when speaking or writing French. After all, If I didn't know I'd made a mistake, how would I ever learn to do it right. Still, most people were too polite to correct me, even after I asked them to do so. Or maybe I made so many mistakes that they realized it would take all day to have a simple conversation. :rolleyes:

To do a little more correction, I think that you meant to say "more fun" instead of "funnier". Funnier means more funny. Unfortunately there is no such word as "funner", though people will sometimes jokingly use it. So you have to use "more fun" to mean that. If you meant to use "funnier", then I'm impressed at your sophisticated knowledge of English. And yes, English and American are strange languages.

Hahahaha, funnily enough my intention was to mean funnier, because on my limited English skills, I understand that cans providing some fun are funny, so the ones providing more fun should be funnier. Is that right?

I appreciate indeed your interest correcting my mistakes, it'd be great that everybody here did the same. I'd learn a lot to express myself better, which is quite important dealing with smart people as prone to play upon words as HC's population ;D

Rgrds

Hahahaha, funnily enough my intention was to mean funnier, because on my limited English skills, I understand that cans providing some fun are funny, so the ones providing more fun should be funnier. Is that right?

No, cans providing some fun are "fun". They are only funny if they also tell jokes or look strange. :P So the correct usage in the sense you meant is "PS-1s are more fun than DBs". Don't worry, most everybody understood what you meant.

Shoot, I don't even know the word for funny in Spanish. What I do know is really Mexican and it's mostly food words.

I appreciate indeed your interest correcting my mistakes, it'd be great that everybody here did the same. I'd learn a lot to express myself better, which is quite important dealing with smart people as prone to play upon words as HC's population ;D

Rgrds

Then I'll continue to do so. Please let me know if it gets to be too much. Only a few people seriously play on words, typos or misspellings. Everybody has those problems now and then so it's like the pot calling the kettle black (see, I'm teaching you American sayings too ;)).

No, cans providing some fun are "fun". They are only funny if they also tell jokes or look strange. :P So the correct usage in the sense you meant is "PS-1s are more fun than DBs". Don't worry, most everybody understood what you meant.

Oooops, I have to tell some English teacher I had. He was spanish though :rolleyes:

Shoot, I don't even know the word for funny in Spanish. What I do know is really Mexican and it's mostly food words.

This is the source of my confussion. In Spanish we have the noun "diversi

Sorry, but I consider the HP1000 a much, much, much better headphone than the PS1. So paying $3000 for a PS-1 is to me ridiculous. I get to define my truth, not anybody else.

Oh and I also consider the Omega II Mk. 1 a superior phone to the PS-1 that you can get for less than $3000 as quoted in the original post by GPH. But of course everyone focused on the HD-6xx.

So you can QTFTFTFT

Let's see how it works the damn orthographic corrector... kind of perfect. I had some difficulties to get the US version installed, the damn Mozilla site always wanted me to download a Spanish version, even tried the Argentinian one LOL

Grawk, I find utmost interesting your comment about the O2 needing a KGBH or KGSS to be "better" than the PS-1. Supposing you feed the O2 with such an expensive amp, in what things do you think the O2 is superior to the PS-1 and on what ones is the PS-1 still better? I kind of guess the answer, but provided I haven't tried the O2 and my experience with Stax HP is limited, I'd enjoy reading your opinion.

Regarding the HP-2 vs PS-1 comparison... I can agree the HP2 is superior in neutrality and frequency response balance, but I don't think it's more resolving, spacious, dynamic or fun. I like both nonetheless ;D

I asked that at HF and someone addressed me to Tyll. I sent him an e-mail, but never replied :rolleyes: I'm quite curious about their frequency response. I can't get my sound engineer friend with the right equipment to measure them. He's too busy.

doG, I'm a dick.

Just wanted to mention here that I've been asked if we can bring our headphone measurement system to Can Jam '09 and have agreed. So there's a good chance that if you bring your cans there we can measure them for you.

doG, I'm a dick.

Just wanted to mention here that I've been asked if we can bring our headphone measurement system to Can Jam '09 and have agreed. So there's a good chance that if you bring your cans there we can measure them for you.

Hehehe I didn't try to mean such thing ;) Living in Spain it's quite complicated to attend the CanJam in the States, but provided we were able to attend, it's a bit risky travelling there with a pair of PS-1 in the suitcase. I wouldn't like those cans hold at some security check :eek: However I'm sure that someone else attending the meeting could take his PS-1 for measurement.

Maybe I can have my friend measuring them at some point before the meeting. Thanks a lot for your reply, it proves you're not a dick hehehe ;D