PS-1s for sale on the 'Bay

Knuckledragger

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, he's the own John Grado selling the PS-1s in his private collection. It starts to seem to me a too big private collection. I wonder if he keeps producing some PS-1 from time to time using the spare parts he keeps.

On previous similar auctions he gave the profits for charity.

Let's see for how much do these end up :rolleyes:

The "personal collection" description is just an excuse to sell more brand-new PS-1 headphones.

Given the prices of some of the PS-1's that have sold on eBay (around $2200 to $3300, I believe), I don't necessarily blame John Grado for trying to sell more.

But the PS-1 was supposed to be a limited edition.

Given the choice, I'd probably pick a pair of HD600/650 over the PS-1. I have to admit I didn't heard the PS-1 in a top-notch setup, but I have a hard time believing they can be good all-around headphones because they imposed too much of their own sound signature to the music. Other than the big juicy bass, nothing really shined with them, so spending 3000$ on them seems a bit crazy to me, considering you can have other headphones like the OII or the K1000 for less than half of the price.

Given the choice, I'd probably pick a pair of HD600/650 over the PS-1. I have to admit I didn't heard the PS-1 in a top-notch setup, but I have a hard time believing they can be good all-around headphones because they imposed too much of their own sound signature to the music. Other than the big juicy bass, nothing really shined with them, so spending 3000$ on them seems a bit crazy to me, considering you can have other headphones like the OII or the K1000 for less than half of the price.

QFT

QFT

Quit Fucking Trolling/Talking?

Quote For Truth?

Questions For Thought?

I'm really confused :confused:

I rather agree with Grawk. The PS-1 are my favourite Grados and IMO aren't comparable to HD6xx, not for being better or worse, just for being such a different "sound phylosophy", delivering a different perspective of sound and approach to the music... Like comparing Merlot and Chardonnay.

If you're speaking about price/performance ratio, probably HD-6X0 are among the best options available for dynamic phones, period. The PS-1, like most very expensive items, is the kind of thing that if you love its performance is worth the price, but if it doesn't appeal to your taste, then could be considered a rip-off. I wouldn't sell a kidney to get them and wouldn't advice them to anyone looking for "the best". But if you have the spare cash and have the curiosity... why not! they could make you very happy.

Quit Fucking Trolling/Talking?

Quote For Truth?

Questions For Thought?

I'm really confused :confused:

Quite Fucking True

I rather agree with Grawk. The PS-1 are my favourite Grados and IMO aren't comparable to HD6xx, not for being better or worse, just for being such a different "sound philosophy", delivering a different perspective of sound and approach to the music... Like comparing Merlot and Chardonnay.

If you're speaking about price/performance ratio, probably HD-6X0 are among the best options available for dynamic phones, period. The PS-1, like most very expensive items, is the kind of thing that if you love its performance is worth the price, but if it doesn't appeal to your taste, then could be considered a rip-off. I wouldn't sell a kidney to get them and wouldn't advice them to anyone looking for "the best". But if you have the spare cash and have the curiosity... why not! they could make you very happy.

I really like the PS-1 but prefer the neutrality of HP2 headphones. To me, the PS-1 is the fun headphone that the Darth Beyer is supposed to be. The PS-1 is so much better than the DB but of course, the cost is so much higher. I wish I could afford to have both the HP2 and PS-1, but I can't, so the HP2 stays.

Quite Fucking True

I really like the PS-1 but prefer the neutrality of HP2 headphones. To me, the PS-1 is the fun headphone that the Darth Beyer is supposed to be. The PS-1 is so much better than the DB but of course, the cost is so much higher. I wish I could afford to have both the HP2 and PS-1, but I can't, so the HP2 stays.

Yep, I agree that HP-2 are more neutral, but again quite different to the PS-1. Has anyone of you seen or got frequency response graphs of the PS-1 and/or HP-2??

I asked that at HF and someone addressed me to Tyll. I sent him an e-mail, but never replied :rolleyes: I'm quite curious about their frequency response. I can't get my sound engineer friend with the right equipment to measure them. He's too busy.

I had a short and not significative exposure to the DB. Despite the limitations, I had more or less the same feelings that Duggeh once wrote about them at HF. I think the PS-1 are completely different animals.

Yep, I agree that HP-2 are more neutral, but again quite different to the PS-1. Has anyone of you seen or got frequency response graphs of the PS-1 and/or HP-2??

I asked that at HF and someone addressed me to Tyll. I sent him an e-mail, but never replied :rolleyes: I'm quite curious about their frequency response. I can't get my sound engineer friend with the right equipment to measure them. He's too busy.

I agree, they are very different. I thought I hated the Grado sound until I heard these two. Now I realize that I just hate the John Grado sound. I love the Joe Grado sound.

I had a short and not significative exposure to the DB. Despite the limitations, I had more or less the same feelings that Duggeh once wrote about them at HF. I think the PS-1 are completely different animals.

I agree that they don't sound alike. It's just that to me, both are supposed to be "fun" headphones. They are too far from being neutral to be serious headphones. I'm saying that the PS-1 does it much, much better than the DB does.

I see. Funnily enough I didn't perceive the DB like funny at all. The DX-1000 are way funnier for instance.

I had the same evolution as you about Grado. I never listened to any current production model that interested me in the least (I have to listen the GS-1000 yet), but once I knew PS-1 and HP2 I had to change my mind. It's quite surprising PS-1 are John's design. Maybe his oncle helped?