gPhone

blessingx

What... like the Palm Pre that came out last summer, or the Hero, or various other SenseUI skinned Android devices.

I need multitouch on my G1, right before I dump it for my HD2. Well, maybe I'll dump my BB Storm for my HD2... who knows.

**BRENT**

do they have pinch and zoom capability in the web browser? thats all I need.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played with the Nexus One again all holiday weekend. Damn nice. Hard to imagine anyone using one who wasn't a heavy Google apps persons, so in a sense it's almost as closed as the iPhone (heavily geared towards browser use over apps and Googles offering over others). If I wasn't in an iPhone contract and there weren't several essential (for me) missing apps, I'd consider switching because it's such a nice piece of hardware. We'll see if Apple catches up in hardware or Android in software first. Still fun competition. Even more so with the awkwardly named Windows Phone 7 Series phone prototype.

• 1 month later...
Ok, I may go with android this summer when the evo 4g comes out. That's a hot phone, and can act as a router for my ipad...

That looks like my plan as Verizon's service smartphone plans are starting to suck and AT&T already does suck. Almost had to upgrade when I lost my phone but luckily I found an old phone to hold me over until summer. That new android phone looks really nice and is now making me reconsider the 3G on the ipad. :palm:

• 1 month later...

Googles increase is a good sign and a Google v. Apple battle is a worthy battle in my opinion, but I doubt marketshare is Apples primary target (at least not while there are freebie/buy one get one free Android deals). ;)

Personally, I find the G/A marketshare tussle less interesting than the Android v. Android numbers. Plain vanilla implementation may not be enough (as others have stated maybe the reason for HPs move away?) so it will be interesting to see what HTC, Motorola, etc. does with Android compared to the others. Sense UI and all that.

Guess the other big question is is there any room for Windows 7 Mobile and WebOS or is this a three horse race now - assuming RIM doesn't blow it? Or are we taking bets on how long it will take RIM to blow it?

I think at the individual consumer level RIM has already blown it and it's only inertia and came firstness that is keeping it tops in market share... come a few quarters and I think that will change.

But it doesn't really matter as long as they dominate the corporate market.

• 2 weeks later...
I couldn't care less about flash but if some of the other reported features are true and actually supported by carriers (usb tether, wifi hotspot, wireless sync) then Apple will have some serious catching up to do.

thats the major setback imo. att will definitely not let you do tethering in the near future until they beefed up their network a bit more.

thats the major setback imo. att will definitely not let you do tethering in the near future until they beefed up their network a bit more.

? I have tethered my windows phone several times both using USB and bluetooth and it worked just fine on the AT&T network. I even used for an entire day it last year when the internet was out at my house.

I haven't done it in a while though, maybe it has changed.

I use a WiFi hotspot program (was e-mailed to me, run, and working, for free, in about a minute) on my HD2 (WM6.5) on T-Mobile. I had someone confirm that PDANet from June Fabrics PDA Technology Group works on the Droid on Verizon. Free trial, then limited use afterwards. There are versions for BB, iPhone (through Cydia), WM, Android and PalmOS. I used to use this on my G1 (USB or BT DUN for Android right now, Wifi Hotspot for iPhone) and was able to stream an hour long show with only one or two hiccups (did this while waiting on Comcast to come do the install).

So far, the Evo4G is getting crazy reviews, btw.

**BRENT**