Component video cable as audio IC?

blessingx

I think it would all depend on the characteristic impedance of the cable (75ohm I think for component) and the impedance of your source and amp/preamp. If you had a source with an unusually high impedance or a amp/preamp with a unusually low impedance it might make a difference depending on your actual ability to hear the attenuation/freq shift at the upper ends of the audio spectrum.

But since you more than likely have properly made audio equipment and normal ears it should make any difference.

Here's a secret: almost all RCA audio cables sold today are really 75-ohm terminated (the original spec says 50 ohms) 'cause it just doesn't matter for analog audio. Video and S/PDIF over coax-with-RCA should be 75 ohms, and that matters, so it's just plain easier for everyone in the world to have 75-ohm RCAs no matter what the actual use.

So use your video cables for audio ... why not?

the audio cables i made measure a hell of a lot less than 75 ohms. whether it matters, i don't know. they sound fine, and were cheap.

Series resistance of the signal and shield should be very low, but this is different from characteristic impedance. But the effects of it on sound quality are completely beyond my level of understanding......

In any case, I'll just keep buying BJC LC-1 and living in blissful ignorance.

I thought the Canare crimp-on RCAP connectors were a true 75-ohm connector?

Marketing bullshit... IIRC they measure somewhere around 50 ohms from what I've read (somewhere???). If you have to use an RCA, those are what I would use though. DIYHiFi.org • View topic - Connecting CS841[2,4] directly to the line: why not?

The jury is out on the WBT ones (haven't seen anyone measure these), but these have to be used with the matching WBT sockets.

Marketing bullshit... IIRC they measure somewhere around 50 ohms from what I've read (somewhere???). If you have to use an RCA, those are what I would use though. DIYHiFi.org • View topic - Connecting CS841[2,4] directly to the line: why not?

The jury is out on the WBT ones (haven't seen anyone measure these), but these have to be used with the matching WBT sockets.

So are you saying the only true 75 ohm rca connector is the WBT? Meaning every other person who uses SPDIF with a cable that isn't WBT is not getting a 75 ohm connection? I am having a hard time swallowing that, especially since my Canare crimp ons are cryo treated making them even better. ;)

Yes, that's what I'm saying. And the WBT actually being 75 ohms isn't verified as far as I know. It is a physics thing... the distance between the center conductor and the shell that precludes RCAs from being 75 ohm without massive rework. Read the link or do some searches on diyhifi or diyaudio... while you are at it take a look at the SPDIF xmit/receive portions as well :eek:

Oh wait, you said Cryo? That changes things :palm: