what to do, what to do?

kevin gilmore

maybe a pair of 2-liter size bottle-neck power triods, with all silver internal parts (solid silver wires and parts machined out of 9999 solid silver blocks).

Then cryo them for two month and design a circuit (use 300B's are driver tubes, for example).

I've been seriously thinking of making some of my own tubes. I used to make them

back in the zenith days, and i did hand made plasma stuff at lucitron. It is actually

pretty easy, and i do have access to a really nice glass lathe.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This bowling ball thing got into my head last night.

So i could machine it out of a solid piece of titanium, but i did titanium last year.

A solid piece of african ebony might be really nice.

The titanium is most likely out of the price range for a joke, and

the chunk of ebony might be unobtainable at any price. I figure i need

1 cubic foot.

maybe some kind of glowing orb...

edit: bowling ball made out of titanium would be about 200 lbs ???

and my price is $78 per lb ??? can't be...

how much would a tungsten bowling ball weigh? or do a lighter base metal for the core then plate the ball in platinum! then laser etch "breitling for Billy on it for bonus points!

ultra trendy aluminum bowling ball it is.

Start by cutting the block in half, use the NC lathe to cut out spheres on

the inside, tap and thread to put the thing together. Then machine the outside

to perfectly round. Add finger holes, tap the holes from the inside, and use machined

finger tubes. If i calculate everything correctly it should end up the correct weight.

Anodize or paint....

ultra trendy aluminum bowling ball it is.

Start by cutting the block in half, use the NC lathe to cut out spheres on

the inside, tap and thread to put the thing together. Then machine the outside

to perfectly round. Add finger holes, tap the holes from the inside, and use machined

finger tubes. If i calculate everything correctly it should end up the correct weight.

Anodize or paint....

Weight might be right but rolling inertia will be high. You're going to have to work hard to get that bad boy spinning. Will still be very cool though.

bowling ball made out of titanium would be about 200 lbs ???

and my price is $78 per lb ??? can't be...

How about hollowing out an extremely dense and sturdy material until it's the right weight (the barn-parsec joke comes to mind)? Then you can do all sorts of funky things like put a wheel in it to give it gyroscopic effect, or an extremely off-center center-of-mass to give it a hopping effect, or an off-center butterfly weight, to give it a wobble, etc. Modular! Edited by Dusty Chalk

yep, some of the usual suspects have added their twist to the thing.

It will be a sphere, of about .35 inch thickness. It will come apart.

The finger holes will be removable. Then i can put a small robot into the

thing. Perfect 300 game every time. Trouble is that it is going to dent

quick, and the halves will probably not unscrew too many times.

May need to change from screw threads to an inner ring with flat screws.

I have a stupid question about Damascus steel -- real Damascus steel is the way it is because it's folded and refolded during the curing process -- which means that unlike most black knives, the portions that are black are actually black, rather than painted black.

So here's the (extremely hypothetical) question -- could there be a way to get black metal? Truly black metal?

Edited by Dusty Chalk

I have a stupid question about Damascus steel -- real Damascus steel is the way it is because it's folded and refolded during the curing process -- which means that unlike most black knives, it is actually black, rather than painted black.

So here's the (extremely hypothetical) question -- could there be a way to get black metal? Truly black metal?

Actually it isn't black until it's dunked in a tank of ferric chloride to bring out the contrast in the layers. Which is why stainless Damascus only goes to grey and not fully black.

You just need to find the right steel alloy and dunk it into the right type of etchant and it'll go black.

6 of these would be way more than enough i think

http://www.unitednuclear.com/magnetfull1.jpg

one little mounting mistake and broken fingers for sure.

12500 gauss...

I keep being tempted by this magnet on ebay--but at 500 dollars there's just no way I'm going to do it any time soon. It has over a 1/2 ton pull force.

1 Neodymium Magnet 6 x 2 inch Disc N48 HUGE STRONG - eBay (item 360091771729 end time Nov-22-08 11:26:28 PST)